What would YOU change about the Poser UI???

• This post is deleted!

• @tastiger said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@ssgbryan

That is how I have mine setup - libraries on one screen and viewport on it's own screen, if you click on the little arrows in the top right hand corner of each pallete, you will find you can undock them and move them around to suit yourself.

Otherwise for me - I would change nothing, the current UI has worked for me since Poser 3, so I'm too old to change now.

Apparently not, or you wouldn't have moved things around to suit yourself.

• @eclark1849

I was referring to the controls, not their actual layout....

• @tastiger said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@eclark1849

I was referring to the controls, not their actual layout....

Fair enough. But to be clear, I believe the layout of the controls confuses new users primarily by making the work space look cluttered. I'm not advocating a radical design overhaul however.

• Of course if they do a redesign of the UI then they also need to deep 6 all the videos on the web talking about Poser since to a newbie they will make no sense since it will look totally different. Add an extra item or tab and you will have complaints about not being to use the materials on the web to learn how to use the newest version.

• @vilters said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@trekkiegrrrl

Hallo my dear, add a folder is possible in the current version of the library. => See screengrab.
    0_1534264174447_add a folder.png

Hoover the mouse over the icon, and the "Add a Folder" pop up comes up. Click to create.

I think @trekkiegrrrl was meaning a new category rather than folder so being able to add to the "Figure", "Pose", "Material" tabs at the top of the library

• @richard60 Based on thatpoint then, you're saying Poser has to stay exactly the way it is forever. Or, and this is a radical thought, they could simply do new tutorials or webinars. Look, there have been new features added and a few things moved around since Poser 9 and 10 for that matter.They did new tutorials.

• @amethystpendant said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@vilters said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@trekkiegrrrl

Hallo my dear, add a folder is possible in the current version of the library. => See screengrab.
    0_1534264174447_add a folder.png

Hoover the mouse over the icon, and the "Add a Folder" pop up comes up. Click to create.

I think @trekkiegrrrl was meaning a new category rather than folder so being able to add to the "Figure", "Pose", "Material" tabs at the top of the library

Yes, exactly. A new category. Folders are nothing new :)

Bad ophrasing on my part, sorry for the confusion :)

• One paramount problem with Poser is that there are three facets to modeling, content creation, rendition and posing. Poser does a decent job at the first, a middling job at the second and fails completely at the third. Now, you may wonder, how could a program called "Poser" do so poorly at posing? It is a mystery to me, I have to admit. Even simple things are ignored, such as an agile naming system for new people so that each component need not have a unique name. We then have a pose architecture that is unable to deal with mammalian life and the bone structure that this imposes, so that any change in the scale of the mammal makes saved poses unusable. There are some restrictions after all, for example arms are rarely join the body at the hip. There is even the default that eyes can point independently, which is amusing but hardly helpful. No, a simple reordering of interface windows cannot disguise the real problem.

Focus on posing, or change the name!

• @tburzio So everyone but Poser gets it right?

• @eclark1849 No, but then again, the other programs aren't called Poser and get posing wrong... :-)

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849

Every improvement is a change but not all changes are improvements.
    We have a good and very flexible and customisable UI and there are more important things to clean-up / repair /improve first.

Hey, most questions can be answered by the almighty; "Read the Manual".
    With a new UI, we will have to increase that anser tenfold. LOL.
    Where did this go? Where did that go?
    => Tja => Read the 1.000+ page manual again. LOL.

• @vilters Just proves you don't read what I say, Tony. I'm not asking for a complete UI redesign. Just talking about moving some elements around. From the desktop to a tab. Seriously, how long would something like that take? The better part of a day? Or the next visit to the toilet? You're just reaching for a reason to not change anything, even if by doing so it makes the users like the program more, or makes the program more user friendly, just because you like it the way it is now. And it's not as if the Poser team's not already considering some changes along those lines. Remember earlier this year when K. Hellgood asked if there was something we should get rid of in Poser?

• To me, the best thing that could be done with the UI is make everything in it accessible thru python.
    And a pane for custom UI's

Then anything in it could be customized to ones liking

• @trekkiegrrrl & @vilters the thing I'm aware of not being able to do with the current UI is to delete or rename folders one has created, without having to switch to the OS and then reload Poser's library. I'm also desperate for a Python API feature to force the library to reload it's icons, whether for a specific folder or entirely (like the refresh button), since I have scripts which save Animation Set filtered poses, but can't refresh the library to display those new items.

Perhaps another new organisational tool which would be useful for the library is to have Poser create the usual suite of sub-folders in a new Runtime. I'd really like some way of tagging all related items in different runtime folders for a particular installed product. That way, once could search for that tag, (whether it be an XML tag or implemented some other way) and then drag all of the related items to another Runtime.

• @eclark1849 Poser's UI design mechanisms are already very flexible AND user accessible (to a limited extent), if you're prepared to hack the visible resource XML files, which derived from the early Apple Macintosh design concepts of extracting language and regionally customisable resource components so that applications could be more easily adapted to use in areas where the original application language (and script direction) were not the default.

If one runs any of the image resources through an image editing program, Poser's entire colour scheme can be modified, without affecting how it runs. Think "Browser Skins" for a parallel concept. Don't like the way your browser presents it's menus and tabs? Just apply a different skin. The same concept is applicable to Poser. (But don't forget to keep backups of the original ;-))

• @shvrdavid said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

To me, the best thing that could be done with the UI is make everything in it accessible thru python.
    And a pane for custom UI's

Then anything in it could be customized to ones liking

That sounds like a plan that would work for anyone, because they could set things up the way they want. The one thing I absolutely hated when I first started with Poser 5 was the inability to move anything where I wanted, which is one of the reasons I didn't stick with Poser.

Then again, Poser 5's Runtime structure was another nightmare. They finally got past that, so it would be nice if they could do the same for the UI, and PLEEEEEASE someone get them to agree to load the Hierarchy Editor with EVERYTHING COLLAPSED!! I'm sick of wasting time collapsing everything when I load up items in a scene. That's the one feature I always liked about DS 3A. I didn't have to collapse all items in the Scene Tab, it was already like that when first loaded into the scene.

• @anomalaus OR include several layout styles which you could customize even further if you like. Apparently, I'm the only person who thinks the tabs make the most sense, but fine, then give me the option to make that MY customised layout. BTW, That would also qualify as a feature in my opinion.

• @tburzio said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@eclark1849 No, but then again, the other programs aren't called Poser and get posing wrong... :-)

Sorry but that is nonsense.

Poser is NOT a modeller. NOT a Content creating tool. It's a
    tool for posing existing content and it does it VERY WELL.