What would YOU change about the Poser UI???

• @ssgbryan said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

I'd like it if my preferred state would be the same for all rooms instead of me having to use the UI dots.
    Speaking of that, it sure would be nice if my preferred state in the Pose tab would stay the same after I come back from one of the other tabs.

How to Make Your UI Customizations "Stick":

If you want Poser to launch new scenes with your customized UI, rather than the default UI:

• open the Preferences
    • click on the Interface tab
    • tick the radio button next to "Launch to previous state", under Launch Behavior.

Now Poser will launch new scenes w/ the same customized UI from the last scene you closed.

If you want Poser to launch new scenes that do not contain Andy and that have other various customizations:

• Create a new scene that has all the customizations you want (and none of the items you don't want)
    • Open the Preference
    • Tick the radio button next to "Launch to preferred scene" on the Document tab AND THEN click the Set Preferred Scene button. That will make the scene that is currently open become your new default.

If you want to make changes, just repeat the process.

Not sure what else to do besides deleting Andy? Here's what I do in my default scene setup, to give you some ideas:

• turn off "Remember changes for undo" on every camera
    • turn off "Animating" on every camera except Main and on every light
    • set up the Main and Aux cameras with my preferred settings (and memorize them)
    • set up my preferred "working" lights (and memorize them)
    • reduce the SubD level on the Ground object and use "Drop to floor" (and memorize it)
    • apply a bit of Ambient to the Ground object's materials, so that it becomes an IDL light emitter
    • set the Ground object's display mode to smooth shaded lined and set it to "Display origin" (so I always know where the "center" is)
    • turn off "Figure Circle" and turn on "Use Limits"
    • turn off Preview shadows
    • set my preferred Preview and Firefly render settings and close the Render Settings window w/ Firefly settings visible, so that it becomes my default renderer

And that's not all, but all I can recall at the moment! Once I set up my default scene and tell Poser to use it instead of the factory scene, then every time I command+n, I get a new scene with all my customizations in place.

BONUS TIP: if you do more than one kind of task in Poser, you can set up several default scenes and switch between them as needed. If I'm doing a lot of prop modeling and testing, I'll open my PropTestingDefault.pz3 and make that the default scene for a while. Then, if I switch to working with figures, I'll make my FiguresDefault.pz3 the default instead. And so on.

(To keep this post from getting any longer, I didn't include the rationale for my preferred settings, but I'm happy to explain to anyone who's curious!)

• DAMN!

You don't have to explain your rationale to me, because I also use my very specific own "preferred scene", for the same reasons as you do.
    But it never had the idea that even more customizations can be made... :o

I just to pick two which are pure gold:

• set up the Main and Aux cameras *f1 with my preferred settings (and memorize them)

• set the Ground object's display mode to smooth shaded lined and set it to "Display origin" (so I always know where the "center" is) (--> this is incredible useful advise for my type of workflow!)

Thank You !1!!
    ;)

Karina

*f1:
    (duh! Never thought of that - instead I set the Aux cam again and again, in each new scene...)

• @perpetualrevision
    Thanks for the tip! But if the tools and the timeline is docked on top, it does minimize the main work window a bit. And it's not about being cheap with the work real estate, but on my monitor (1920x1200), the preview window is an almost perfect 16:9 aspect ratio--what you see is what you get in the final render.

• @krios said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

it's not about being cheap with the work real estate, but on my monitor (1920x1200), the preview window is an almost perfect 16:9 aspect ratio--what you see is what you get in the final render.

Just FYI: You can "float" the Preview panel (window) as well, rather than leaving it docked, and if it's floating you can set its exact size using Document Window Size from the Window menu. If you turn off "Drag-docking enabled" for the Preview panel, then you can easily move it around as needed to access docked panels that might be slightly behind it (w/o it trying to auto-dock itself).

You can also, of course, set an "exact resolution" for your renders, and then it doesn't matter what size the Preview panel is. If the exact size you enter is a slightly different aspect ratio from the Preview panel, you'll see a slight darkening at the top/bottom OR sides in Preview, to let you know those parts won't be in the render.

• @perpetualrevision said

Just FYI: You can "float" the Preview panel (window) as well, rather than leaving it docked, and if it's floating you can set its exact size using Document Window Size from the Window menu.

This is correct PR, and I used to work this way before the major Poser UI redesign (ver. 9~10 was it?) But now if the preview panel floats, the ALT + shortcut keys don't work, which is a big part of my workflow. Not sure if this is true for Poser 11 tho.

• After decades of Poser, I finally bit the bullet and tried Daz3D. You know what? It has EVERYTHING I have been asking for, even the ability to make an object unpickable so you can pose a non-node character! I'm slowly learning how to fix up the Poser morph screwups so that I can move my content across, it's not so bad. The menus even work, and content is sorted into the libraries in a rational manner from the Daz3D store (I've bought a LOT over the years, and plunked down another half grand on content this weekend, it's fun!). Really, it's like moving from Android to the iOS AppStore. No more manually sorting and inserting stuff into the library, it's all done!

Get this, figures cast shadows on the ground! No more vampires on the beach! :-)

Well, at least I was correct all those years. :-)

• @tburzio said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

After decades of Poser, I finally bit the bullet and tried Daz3D. You know what? It has EVERYTHING I have been asking for, even the ability to make an object unpickable so you can pose a non-node character! I'm slowly learning how to fix up the Poser morph screwups so that I can move my content across, it's not so bad. The menus even work, and content is sorted into the libraries in a rational manner from the Daz3D store (I've bought a LOT over the years, and plunked down another half grand on content this weekend, it's fun!). Really, it's like moving from Android to the iOS AppStore. No more manually sorting and inserting stuff into the library, it's all done!

Get this, figures cast shadows on the ground! No more vampires on the beach! :-)

Well, at least I was correct all those years. :-)

Uhm .. I've always had ground shadows in Poser. Ever since Poser 4. I must have been doing something wrong then if they're not supposed to be there :P

• @trekkiegrrrl said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

Uhm .. I've always had ground shadows in Poser. Ever since Poser 4. I must have been doing something wrong then if they're not supposed to be there :P

Ditto - here

• I don't know if you guys consider the Advanced Material Room Screen to be part of the Poser UI, but I do. But the changes I'd make here either have to be made by Poser or a third party app maker. I just want to be able to see all the nodes I use to make a shader on one screen. So we need to be able to zoom in and out and be able to shrink the nodes to a smaller size.
    0_1535352384576_e54ff702-3ce8-4aaf-b8e2-c7e020e539af-image.png

• @eclark1849 and the window needs to auto-scroll when you're dragging a connection to another node which isn't currently visible!

Or, even better, zoom out as you drag outside the window, so you can see more nodes in that direction (without making visible nodes invisible on the other edge), then automatically zoom back to the previous magnification or default, when you bring the dragged connection back inside the window after your target node becomes visible.

• @anomalaus You know, that really would make an excellent third party App, except, if I were doing it, I'd make it so that it would work with any renderer by using the nodes native to that Renderer. and it would come with it's own realtime preview renderer window.

• @tburzio Aslong as I used Poser, I've allways looked for options to render outside Poser. First I've tried Cinema 4D, then it was Vue and finally I bit the bullet and got me octane render, which I still prefer, when rendering a Poser scene. Poser was useful in posing figures, that's its main purpose. The point is, to choose the software, that works for you. If you think ds does it better, than go for it. You can use all your poser props with it.

• @anomalaus Posers UI is made with wxWindow using (more or less) standard controls/widgets. There is no support for "scaling widgets" in this UI-toolkit as far as I know.

Creating a separate App needs access to Posers internals to build the shaders/materials. And access to Posers Render engine too, if a preview is required. Making all this from scratch needs a few month of work. For only a few users (most users are totally lost in the material room and never touch it).

An easier way to go is creating a Poser-Material export for Blender, IMHO.

• @adp A renderer could always be a tack on. The main focus of the app would be assembling the shader and exporting it to Poser.

• @adp agreed. What I see from moving palettes around is that the frame gets drawn dynamically during resizing, and the content gets no event to refresh and update until the drag/resize completes on mouse-up (though I haven't investigated in detail). I've essentially written my own (based on an incomplete skeleton in the public domain) file parser for Poser files, but I'm continually frustrated with finding elements which are not yet exposed to Python, and therefore can't be implemented. I can apply poses, but I can't load characters or set the falloff curves of deformer zones, etc., etc., etc. [Thanks to the late Yul Brinner, forever not smoking in Westworld heaven]

@eclark1849 honestly, if I were developing a third party app, I probably wouldn't bother with Poser interfacing at all, I'd just have it read the files directly. As far as the renderers go, apart from Cycles, it's my understanding that FireFly had to be licensed to be bundled with Poser (and maybe the Sree3D preview renderer as well). (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, of course). I have absolutely no ambitions to develop a render engine. If I had the money for the hardware and software, I still wouldn't be able to get where I want to be, since Apple steadfastly refuses to support the needs of it's workstation customers and power users with hardware which can make full use of NVidia GPUs, since the debacle with OpenCL development and support that Paolo went through trying to get Reality properly supported.

Maybe I will bite the bullet and try converting my obsolete Dual 2GHz G5 PowerMac into a Hackintosh.

Oh, I did write a node tidying script, which involved calculating all the node heights (and required several Service Releases of Poser to be issued before it stopped reliably crashing Poser when run - Not my fault!), so it probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with something that can parse a Poser file and generate a visual representation of the node structure as an image that could be scaled, but what would be the point? It's not as if we have access to code hooks with which to implement new, custom material nodes (though I seem to remember @bagginsbill saying he'd asked for exactly that kind of thing).

• @anomalaus You guys may be misunderstanding my wants. All I want is an app or even a script that will let me see all of the nodes in the Poser Material room. If all the script did was to let me zoom in and out of the screen so that I can see all of the nodes I use in a particular shader set up for Poser, I'd be happy with that.

• @anomalaus There is no event while the mousebutton is pressed because redrawing all widgets is simply to slow (items are not moved but redrawn piece by piece). There is a newer frametype called "FloatCanvas" to help with scaling/moving, but still no support for standard widgets here (WX 3.0 and above IMHO, Poser is using 2.8). Means: only custom created widgets, and still speed issues while moving/scaling with the mouse if a lot of different complicated items (like widgets/nodes) are visible on the screen.

@eclark1849 It's simply not possible with Poser. Even not with an image, because such an image has to come from a screenshot. Means: The whole shader arrangement has to be visible to make that screenshot before it can be showed scaled.

Scaling a canvas needs a toolkit based on OpenGL.

@anomalaus Reconstruction from a saved material file to have an overwiew makes no sense, because the reconstructed arrangement is almost different from the arrangement in the material room.

• @eclark1849 Collapsing all nodes and rearrange them automatically is perhaps a more practical solution.

On the other hand: Who knows what Poser 12 may give us 🤔

• @adp said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@eclark1849 Collapsing all nodes and rearrange them automatically is perhaps a more practical solution.

On the other hand: Who knows what Poser 12 may give us 🤔

That is a thought. I'll check it out when I get home.

• Another Poser Material Room Problem I'm going to keep bitching about until they fix it. The collapsible node. Great idea, poorly executed. This is what happens when you uncollapse it... sometimes. I think this was actually because the window was rather small. If the window is large enough for you to have to scroll. The nodes go flying all over creation and you have to hunt for them. Maybe if we get together and sign a petition...

0_1535393417255_478c13f4-09f3-487c-89cd-2db0b8ff881c-image.png