Evolution Mannequins: examples of speed rigging

• I have been improving the mannequins to help with rigging stuff for Project Evolution. Once they're done I will update the Content Support Kit. I will also try make a script that will prep as much as possible for you to edit the JCMs.

Here is a draft of Rigging Instructions and background info I am making on how to rig stuff for PE (work in progress)

Below you can see a t-shirt and a bodysuit made by ghostman that I rigged using the mannequins. The transfer of the morphs, JCMs, and weight maps was entirely automatic, took less than 2 minutes.

• The tshirt took no effort. We kept it featureless to show you what it could do.
    • Note that the tshirt is lower resolution than the mannequin (in blue).
    • Also note the folds morphs that have been added by the mannequin!
    • The bodysuit (because of the crotch) was done using a trick of making two identical meshes, but shaped differently.
      -- The first mesh is the original and the second is entirely flattened (shrink-wrapped) against the mannequin.
      -- You rig the flattened mesh, and then after saving it to the library, you swap out the flattened mesh with the original mesh.
      -- What you see in the render is the result when loaded from the library, no edits or patch ups were done.

Aside from some small pokies and some bumpiness, not bad eh?

Rigging with JCMs will gradually become easier, especially with the help of SM.

4_1534459172745_tshirt demo01.png 3_1534459172745_tshirt demo02.png 2_1534459172745_tshirt demo03.png 1_1534459172744_tshirt demo00.png 0_1534459172744_tshirt demo04.png

***NSFW content ***

click to show

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis Thanks Ero. This will help a lot. I could manage the upper body for now, but the thighs are still my problem.
    So this will come very handy.

• @Ladonna we'll get there! Just put the project aside for now and have fun with other things.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis Yes, already do. Needed a bit pause from JCM's lol.

• @erogenesis
    so you basically say that if you have a geometry with the shape of how you want a pant to be after thigh bending (assume they are short pants so knee bend does not affect the process) Poser Pro 11 can indeed substract the vertex displacement resulting from transformation from the morph deltas and so calculate the JCM.
    I saw there were such switches but I never realized the consequences. I thought it was only for vertex painting and ZBrush.

If it can be loaded as a geometry that would mean the 'desired' shape can be made via a simulation.

If the simulation is run as an automated process that spits out geometries for the clothing at the positions for which the rigging needs JCM's, that would result in pretty good starting points for the JCM's.
    In fact, the amount of displacement or 'energy' contained in the resulting JCM says something about the 'quality' of the weight maps and bulge maps. Ideally the JCM's contain all zeroes.
    Vice-versa one could generate the weight and bulge maps as the 'best fit' with the JCM's.
    Interesting!

• @F_Verbaas said in Evolution Mannequins: examples of speed rigging:

@erogenesis
    so you basically say that if you have a geometry with the shape of how you want a pant to be after thigh bending (assume they are short pants so knee bend does not affect the process) Poser Pro 11 can indeed substract the vertex displacement resulting from transformation from the morph deltas and so calculate the JCM.

I saw there were such switches but I never realized the consequences. I thought it was only for vertex painting and ZBrush.

If it can be loaded as a geometry that would mean the 'desired' shape can be made via a simulation.

Yes and no. I thought indeed of using the cloth room to make very natural JCMs for clothing, and the idea could work within limits I think, but the problem is that the vertexes in the body underneath the clothing item will therefore be following a different path. Take for example the knee, when we bend our knees in a pair of jeans, the point under the patella of the figure will have rotated much further than the same point in those jeans (if they are non-stretchy). This means that while the cloth-simmed JCM for the knee at 90 will look and load good, the angles between 0 and 90 won't since the vertices are travelling different pathes to get there. This is why you need to let Poser do most of the transferring of the vertex data (WM and JCMs). It guarantees minimal poke-through.

I think with thighs it might be even worse because unlike the knee you now have two rotations to deal with, as well as an intermediary one, bend and side-side. You can give it a try but you'll need Color Curvature's PML to save and reload the shape of the clothsim results.

So to make this work, you would need to guarantee that the clothsim is told to stick to the figure like glue to guarantee that the vertices stay in the very same place somehow. So the JCMs need to absolutely follow the host's vertices (like with super high friction or something), but the clothsim could add in details like folds.