Rigging question. Master parameter?

• Right.

So, just for the fun of it, I decided to rig my rocking wormy.

The spring is rigged OK now, it can bend. BUT ... how to I get all those bits into ONE dial?

So the spring parts will bend in one go and not bit by bit, since that's a little cumbersome.

Please . baby steps. I can rig simple things, but I've never tried to connect several dials at once before.

• 0_1534847369668_5325cffb-df14-4e4a-bc10-453d372abdcb-image.png

Here it's bending.

• Poser Ambassadors

I see multiple coils in the spring.
    I suppose they each have their bone, and each bone bends?
    Select the worm, bend it, and add the dependencies to the bends in the coils.
    Select the little arrow behind the worm bend function, and click Edit Dependencies.
    There add the individual bends for each coil by clicking Start teaching. (some 10° each at first sight?)
    Don't forget to come back to zero bend and reset each bend to zero, then Click on stop teaching.
    If you send it over, I"ll do it for you.

• Poser Ambassadors

Because the spring is larger at the base and the spring bending not linear, , you might use 6° for the base coil, 8° for the next up, 10° for the third up, and so on.

• @vilters said in Rigging question. Master parameter?:

I see multiple coils in the spring.
    I suppose they each have their bone, and each bone bends?
    Select the worm, bend it, and add the dependencies to the bends in the coils.
    Select the little arrow behind the worm bend function, and click Edit Dependencies.
    There add the individual bends for each coil by clicking Start teaching. (some 10° each at first sight?)
    Don't forget to come back to zero bend and reset each bend to zero, then Click on stop teaching.
    If you send it over, I"ll do it for you.

I'll try :) If it fails, I'll send it to you :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl
    Oeps, I found it at Rendero….. My bad.... I don't visit Rendero as often as I used to.
    Yesterday they wanted e to buy vacuum cleaners from Cool blue. LOL.

But making Wiggly to wiggle "as is", would work best with a normal morph. No need for extra vertex groups or bones at all. Blender has a special tool to make obj files "bend". => Save as set morph limits from -1 to +1.

• @vilters said in Rigging question. Master parameter?:

@trekkiegrrrl
    Oeps, I found it at Rendero….. My bad.... I don't visit Rendero as often as I used to.
    Yesterday they wanted e to buy vacuum cleaners from Cool blue. LOL.

But making Wiggly to wiggle "as is", would work best with a normal morph. No need for extra vertex groups or bones at all. Blender has a special tool to make obj files "bend". => Save as set morph limits from -1 to +1.

Yes, but the one on Rosity isn't the rigged one, it's just a static prop. I'm considering making a whole playground (I've actually made several of the items already) and was also considering making it into a set for sale. And if it is to sell, I need it to "do" something other than just stand there ;)

And also because I love things that move :) - that's why I've always enjoyed making morphing props. But Hexagon and Poser aren't the best of friends when it comes to exporting mmorphs. Most of the time, they explode :( Somehow the vertex order gets jumbled. BUT ... that's not a problem in rigged items.

I had planned to simply morph the spring, but it kept exploding. So there we are .. with a rigged thingie instead :P (that is .. if I can figure it out, but I'll certainly try :) )

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in Rigging question. Master parameter?:

This would not look good. Morphs interpolate in a straight line from initial to final position. They never work for any sort of rotation. Morphs cannot produce arcs.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill
    You are correct, but when your first name is Tony? Things get flexible.

A forward-backwards morph.
    A side-side morph.
    Dependency between both.
    => Ark

• @bagginsbill
    Actually, except for the exploding vertices, the morph looked better than I'd expect it to. Because, you're right about the linear nature of morphs, of course.

But it was still unusable since the vertices decided to fly out all over the place as soon as it was morphed more than a smidgeon of a bit.

I haven't had time to play with the master dial thingie yet. Hopefully I will tomorrow, this day has been a little hectic.