Material Room Gurus Help!!!

• I'm trying to re-create a texture from a Blender Shader to one for Poser and believe it or not, I'm almost there except I need a group input node with about 9 input/outputs. It's more or less, just a juncture point. The node is pictured below.

Any idea of how I can create one?

0_1534886512572_1704a1b4-c7b4-4fdf-a076-4f1e71588674-image.png

• @eclark1849 If that is inside of a compound node there should already be something like that there that you just add connections to.

• @ghostship That node is in Blender, but it is a compound node. I can create one in Poser, but then everything jumps around in the Material Room. If I add the connection points, will they still be available when I collapse the node?

• @eclark1849 yeah, this is Andy's cycles shader setup. I collapsed it to a compound node. I can connect things like SSS color to the external input and it will stay there and you'll be able to see and edit the SSS color from OUTSIDE the compound node. This is what I did with my free shaders. All the inputs and color boxes are coming from the external inputs port. 0_1534897798456_colaps.jpg

• @ghostship Cool! I'll try that. Thanks.

• @eclark1849 there's just one caveat to streamline collapsing nodes that serve as inputs into a compound node. If you want the input nodes to remain as inputs, they need to maintain connections from external nodes that will not be collapsed, in order to retain connections to the External Inputs block of the resulting compound node. It's a bit tedious if you have lots of inputs you want to expose, but it's slightly quicker than dragging links and naming the inputs (though you'll still have to do that). If that doesn't bother you, then there's no need to worry about it.

• @anomalaus TBH though, reallly, it shouldn't be this hard to do or figure out. Why not just create input and output nodes for this very purpose and reason? I don't understand the logic behind why Poser does some of the things it does. And they don't like to talk to the people who use it.

• Okay , made some progress on my shader. It's test rendering now.

But here's another one. How would you do lipstick on a glass? I'm thinking maybe using a mask. Actually, except for post, that's the only thing I can think of. And yes, it should be Superfly/Cycles.

0_1534980211665_14c761bb-1700-4bc3-82df-398db8735350-image.png

• @eclark1849 a very fine result

• @eclark1849 I'm sure it's unfair of me to quibble over such a small compressed image, without having seen a higher resolution render. What struck me first was the thought that since the lipstick will be a layer on top of the glass, it will mask any and all effects of the glass shader, such as the edgeblend style darkening of the rim. Unless the lipstick stops before that (which the small size and compression artifacts make hard to judge), I would not expect to see the dark rim line where the lipstick is.

That aside, it's a fine image, and I like the poster-style vignetting and drop shadow effect. Postwork, perhaps, or all rendered?

• @anomalaus Yeah, that's an image from google. I was just asking how to put lipstick on a wineglass. :)

• Okay, think I'm getting the hang of this now. I bought some Cycles shaders about a month or two back, but because they were for Blender and not Poser AND because Poser's missing a few nodes, I've been trying to figure out how to recreate these shaders for use in Poser. I started with a few of the easier ones like Red Wine, Honey and Milk. Working on others.

0_1535014540995_Honey01.png

0_1535014642005_Milk01.png

0_1535014674166_Redwine.png

• @eclark1849 looking good. For the lipstick, I would plug your mask into the Fac input of a MixClosure node, with GlassBsdf (or the uprated tricky glass variants of that which mix in TransparentBsdf according to the values of IsShadowRay and IsDiffuseRay) in the first input and a DiffuseBsdf in the second, with your choice of lipstick colour in the Diffuse Color chip. Oh, and don't forget to apply some roughness to the DiffuseBsdf since Lipstick on a glass is generally not glossy at all (judging by what I've had to manually scrub of tea and coffee cups).

• SIIIIIIIGH

Found another little discrepancy in the Cycles nodes. Really Poser, what's the point in calling it Cycles if you're just going to leave so much of it out.

The Poser version of the Geometry Node in Cycles does not have a Pointiness output.

As far as I can tell, the Reference manual does not address this issue... AT ALL. Just better hope you don't run across a shader that uses that output for something.

• @eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

Okay, think I'm getting the hang of this now. I bought some Cycles shaders about a month or two back, but because they were for Blender and not Poser AND because Poser's missing a few nodes, I've been trying to figure out how to recreate these shaders for use in Poser. I started with a few of the easier ones like Red Wine, Honey and Milk. Working on others.

0_1535014540995_Honey01.png

0_1535014642005_Milk01.png

0_1535014674166_Redwine.png

The "Milk" one doesn't look like milk IMO. It looks like a pearl. But the honey .. I want to EAT that :D

• @trekkiegrrrl Yeah, I agree. I think it has more to do with lighting than color, but it's probably both.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

@trekkiegrrrl Yeah, I agree. I think it has more to do with lighting than color, but it's probably both.

No - it's the roughness, not lighting, not color. The surface of milk, like all liquids, is completely smooth.

• Not a bad soap bubble considering I've substitued about three or so different nodes. The Raytrace Preview actually looks better to me. But I'm going to tweak this some more to see what I can do. Also, I swapped out the RGB Curves with Bright Contrast.
    0_1535426565746_10cad0c4-2737-438d-a5aa-c98c39967fb7-image.png

• @eclark1849 is that just a sphere or does it have thickness like an egg shell?

• @ghostship It's just a sphere. Here's an image of what it SHOULD look like:
    0_1535438937165_d86660fa-3f37-4a1e-8d8f-30f55375caed-image.png