Material Room Gurus Help!!!

• @eclark1849 Okay so this is going to be a PITA, But I can build the more complex shaders in sections by making those sections nested collapsed nodes. The nodes still explode all over the material room, but... so far at least, doing it in a limited section by section manner like this I only have to corral a few nodes at a time.

• @eclark1849 Seriously, SM needs to get a handle on this or no one is going to want to make shaders for Superfly OR Cycles. In my case, I'm just a determined, masochistic, idiot.

• @eclark1849 I still would like a way to reverse the shader setup so I could follow a screen shot from blender without scrambling my brain.

• @ghostship I simply load it in reverse for right now. I'm really disappointed with Poser right now. Idon't understand how they can not see the design problems with the program. I've given more thought to how I load my trash can than they seem to have done with user Interface and layout. I AM going to buy Poser 12 for no other reason than just to see if they've made any significant revisions to the program's deign and layout. but if not, then P12 may be my last version of Poser.

• @eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

@ghostship I simply load it in reverse for right now. I'm really disappointed with Poser right now. Idon't understand how they can not see the design problems with the program. I've given more thought to how I load my trash can than they seem to have done with user Interface and layout. I AM going to buy Poser 12 for no other reason than just to see if they've made any significant revisions to the program's deign and layout. but if not, then P12 may be my last version of Poser.

You are working under the mistaken belief that the folks that write the code use the product.
    They don't - in that respect, they aren't any different than the last group.

• @ssgbryan That actually occurred to me.

• Okay, so I think this is the best way to go. It's a bit more labor intensive, but as I said before, I can set up and control the node explosions better this way. Plus sectioning off and labeling each area of the shader actually give me more controlover whatever elelment I want to change, like color, bump, reflectance, etc. And this emeralld shader is really complex.
    0_1535843774686_17da8b4c-1343-49f2-bfd1-8abdd7305e3e-image.png

• @eclark1849 I'm surprised you have so many widgets on your mat room layout, I have mine with just the main pain, I don't change the params for an object while I'm in the mat room so I simply have the main window (if I'm on my 2 screen mode I have the main mat node screen on my second monitor stretched to fill the whole screen. On my single one I just have the mat window and 2 memory dots to switch between views

• @amethystpendant Frankly, I don't use Poser as much as I used to. It's just not as much fun as it used to be and to be TOTALLY HONESt. Once I figure out how to rig the figures in Blender, Poser may have just seen the last of me. I'm waiting to see what P 12 has before I make that decision, but doing ANYTHING in Poser has become such a chore for me that I honestly wonder why I bother anymore. For instance, I'm trying to convert a Cycles Emerald shader from Cycles to Poser. This is already tough enough to do in Cycles. There are noodle connections EVERYWHERE. So this attempt was purely for the attempt to see if I can do it. I'm close, but stuck at the moment.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

For instance, I'm trying to convert a Cycles Emerald shader from Cycles to Poser. This is already tough enough to do in Cycles

When I read statements like this, I am truly wondering what on earth you're looking at. You can't possibly be studying from a knowledgable shader maker if you are encountering any difficulty on this.

Here is a perfectly good Cycles/SuperFly shader for emerald.

0_1535997383724_4260b39f-b0a2-402d-8502-4272e639b9fc-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

While I have this scene open, I made glass for you. Only difference between emerald and glass is the IOR and the volume absorption density.

0_1535997583691_51dedb91-00ba-467a-b694-c1494aafa43e-image.png

• @bagginsbill I didn't say I couldn't MAKE the shader BB. I said I was trying to CONVERT one. I can make a glass shader several different ways, including at least two ways I got directly from the Cycles Encyclopedia.
    This is the one I was trying to convert:
    0_1536002790383_4a7f82d1-6473-4034-a2bb-26930405004f-image.png

• @eclark1849 It's taken a while and as I said, I'm stuck right now because I'm not quite sure how to do the group Input and output nodes you see on either end of with a splash of yellow. I'm trying to see if I can do it using a compound node. No problem there, but I need to create 9 output node connections, and right now that's what's tripping me up.

• @eclark1849 Still don't know how or if I can create Group Input and Output nodes. The compound nodes come closest that I've found But in order to edit them, they take you to their own window where none of the nodes you want to connect to them are.

• @eclark1849 Poser's compound nodes are just a way to abstract node connections you've already made to free up space by hiding a coherent functional block. If you're still making the connections, you need everything visible. If screen real-estate is the problem, others have suggested floating the material room palette and expanding it to full screen.

I've previously suggested, in other threads, in relation to compound nodes, that if one ever wants to animate the inputs of the compound node, care should be taken to connect the animated node inputs to a dummy node which will remain outside the compound node, forcing the input parameters to remain connected to the external inputs pseudo-node.

From what I can see in your posts, especially the earlier one, what Blender shows as Group Input and Group Output nodes are exactly analogous to and the model from which Poser's Compound Node External Inputs and External Outputs pseudo-nodes were derived from. As such, they have no existence outside or prior to the creation of the Compound Node.

In the process of converting Cycles to SuperFly shaders, I'd strongly recommend working from the outside in. As you get to a Cycles grouping, make sure that everything it will connect to, both inputs and output, exists first, or at least has external dummy nodes which will remain connected to whatever nodes you will place inside the group/compound node. As you've observed, it's quite tedious and frustrating to be trying to swap back and forth, in and out of a compound node, so make dummies of all the connections you can see in the Cycles material, then work inside, once your external connections are all in place.

• @anomalaus Yeah, I think I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. Still, I'm going to try a cut and paste even though I honestly don't think it will work. On the other hand, if it does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Yeah, that didn't work at all.

• @eclark1849 if you were actually trying to copy nodes from Blender and paste them into Poser's material room, then I say "More power to positive thinking!", though I would also have predicted the result I assume you have just reported :-). You should actually make a formal request of SM for that functionality! Who knows, they might even think it's a great idea!

• @anomalaus No, that never even occurred to me. I was thinking of trying to copy and paste Poser Nodes from one window to another, not Blender. I couldn't make it happen.

• @eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

@anomalaus No, that never even occurred to me. I was thinking of trying to copy and paste Poser Nodes from one window to another, not Blender. I couldn't make it happen.

I copy and paste nodes in the mat room all the time. You have to use the right click for both operations Ctrl-C Ctrl-V won't work and they never actually get on to the clipboard, the operation is completely handled internally by Poser.