Material Room Gurus Help!!!

• @amethystpendant Okay, I'll give it another shot when I get home this morning. I HOPE it works. Is that right click C and Right click V??

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Only a single comment here:

Books, tutorials, reference material, be it for Poser, DAZ, Blender Internal, Blender cycles, Iray, Octane, and God only knows how many other render engines are out there is NEVER a good idea without in debt study.

You have to look WAY and WAY deeper then just the shader setup.

• For what version was it created "at the time"?
    • What bugs where (or are still open) for that particular version?
    • Converting between FireFly adn SuperFly is already more then difficult enough for most.
    • What about, IDL, IBL, GC, and let us not forget AO is and or was going on at the time.

Whenever you see a complicated shader setup, be sure it is WRONG. Period.

• Mostly because it pre-dates PBR .
    • Mostly because most of the shader is faking things we did not have yet at the time.
    • And the other half of the shader is probably fighting bugs in whatever render engine it was build for.

Look at the SMS PhysicalSurface webinar.

Also remember that whenever a book comes out, it is by definition obsolete when published because apps and developers don't stop fixing and improving things, just because somebody released a book. LOL.

5 years ago, and 5 years is nothing, AO and IBL where the wonders of 3D.
    Both belong in the to "NEVER - EVER" use again corner when working on a PBR setup.

Reconstructing a shader you found somewhere?
    Don't .
    Better to start with a fresh blank sheet, and if you get to 10 nodes?
    Delete the first 5. (Joking here but you get the point.)

The simplest shader is usually the best.
    The rest was to fake what we did not have at the time anyway.

• @vilters Thanks for your input Tony.

This is how the Cycles preview render looks in Blender 2.79. So I'm okay with the shader as it looks in Blender. I may never get it to work in Poser. It would be easier if I didn't have to jump through hoops and swim through moats to do it, but ultimately all I can do is try.
    0_1536163830412_b0d3299b-9959-47e1-9435-c3f13519b4a7-image.png

• @amethystpendant I tried the Right click Copy Paste and it worked! Thanks for the HELPFUL advice.
    :)

• Good news and bad news time. Thanks to Amythystpendant, I was able to finally finish putting the shader together. Bad news is, it doesn't work. I used a lot of work around nodes trying to put this together. So now, I have to go back through it and see if I can spot where I went wrong. I know exactly where i went awry in a couple of areas though. Anyway, here's a quick render of the "so-called" emerald. One nice thing I did do though was to use the lighting set-up from the Blend file. Basically just a plane in the background with an emission shader.
    Simple, but it works to light up the area.

0_1536193475726_Emerald 02.png
    Kind of looks like a b&W photo of Jupiter.

• @eclark1849 I'm crossing my fingers for more compatibility with cycles nodes in the next version. Till then I don't really bother with this kind of head-banging. LOL

• @ghostship I'm looking at it as a kind of hacking. I'm going to stop asking SM to improve Poser for two reasons. Doesn't seem to do any good, and it's amazing the amount of pushback I get, ironically, from the Ambassadors, a lot of times. Like I said, Poser's just not as much fun as it used to be.

• @eclark1849 I wouldn't want to do anything to diminish your fun with Poser, but are you willing to post the source for the blender shader you're trying to emulate (your previous cycles node screen shot was too compressed or low-res to decipher anything)? I had a vast amount of trouble getting cycles volumetrics to play nicely, until I worked out that prop scaling was counteracting the strength settings of the voumetrics, because (who'd 'a' thought it?) the nodes are using real-world calculations for density, based on the actual unscaled object mesh.

• @anomalaus Yeah, but I'm at work right now and that computer's not. I'll have to do it later today.

• @eclark1849 A little bit of advice: Quit your job, drive home and get to some Posering. LOL

• @anomalaus I can't post a screen shot of the shader on line as I believe it would violate the copyright. However, can you contact me via my directory's contact page.?

• @anomalaus Did you email me?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

@anomalaus I can't post a screen shot of the shader on line as I believe it would violate the copyright. However, can you contact me via my directory's contact page.?

Confused - why would you need to copy it - if it's online, post the URL for us. Copying URLs and making links from one website to another is the definition of www.

• @eclark1849 I have now ;-)

As @bagginsbill attests though, if the shader's not part of some commercial product, but freely available online, just point us at it and save your own bandwidth.

• @anomalaus Sorry then. It's not online, it's part of a commercial product called the Cycles Material Vault. I didn't want to violate the copyright though. So I wanted to check what kind of permissions I have with it.

• @eclark1849 that's cool. I've just done the same kind of check myself. :-)

• @ghostship said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

@eclark1849 I'm crossing my fingers for more compatibility with cycles nodes in the next version. Till then I don't really bother with this kind of head-banging. LOL

The more I do this the more I discover little quirks that I never knew about before. For instance, Right clicking your mouse seems to be a key move, not only for copying and pasting, but also for collapsing nodes. You still have to edit the collapsed node in another window, but so far, at least, I haven't had to search all over creation for it. I'll try and post a series of screen shots a little later to show what I'm talking about.

• Poser Ambassadors

I was messing around because of this thread and ran into a brick wall.

The GlassBsdf as well as all forms of refraction ignore the roughness parameter. I know Poser 11 used to work for rough glass but now it does not. Suggest you just not bother with this effort. It will not look right no matter what.

• @bagginsbill said in Material Room Gurus Help!!!:

The GlassBsdf as well as all forms of refraction ignore the roughness parameter. I know Poser 11 used to work for rough glass but now it does not. Suggest you just not bother with this effort. It will not look right no matter what.

Refraction and roughness works for me. I just recently created a new glass shader where i can set independent roughness values for surface and refraction. Any chance you used the wrong distribution function?

• @bagginsbill Glass BSDF works with roughness on my machine. I'm running 11.0.7.33999