Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...

• @3dcheapskate do you have a Farenheit 451 morph? ;-)

• Poser Ambassadors

I really like the latest geometry with the joints. I downloaded your single-book demo from Daz page and found that the spine renders with a strange dark artifact on whichever end is farther from the camera.

I look on yours and see it there too:

0_1547047935038_af92bfa8-f3fb-41cc-a97c-b9eb6206cf0a-image.png

I was experimenting with procedural shaders on this prop. I did not get the leather cover to look the way I want yet but I do like the procedural paper edges. Note: I moved the page polygons into a different material so I could do the shader without concern for the cover interfering.

Notice the same darkening artifact on my render where the diffuse color is not black?

0_1547048110886_Books.png

• @amethystpendant - mine too - the real world's much scruffier than renders ! :o)
    @anomalaus - I'm saving those as morphs for the final single-book model - you know, the one with individual, separately morphable, pages... ;o)
    @bagginsbill - Thank you, glad you like it - sometimes keeping things simple is the best way to go. I hadn't noticed that artefact**, but would appear to be smoothing/crease-angle related:
    0_1547115123370_artefact.jpg
    And I'd forgotten about putting the page-ends* into a separate material zone - I think I mentioned doing that somewhere earlier.

*fore-edge, head and tail if we're being precise and using correct terminology !
    **Mirriam-Webster tells me that the British spelling uses 'e', so I'm okay there !

• I'm working on 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64-book* morphing (I prefer the term 'adjustable' for the morphs I'm creating - randomish book sizes and widths, plus joint depth/width for the jointed versions) props for each of the five basic closed book meshes (minimalist paperback, hardback, hardback (curved), and jointed versions of the two hardbacks).

Once they're done I think I'll upload them as my next freebie at ShareCG. But I'm going to take a break for the weekend.

*I'm doing them all with a single mat zone (although I now also have two-mat-zone versions of the base 1/64-book meshes).

• >>> And they're up ! <<<

(I almost lost the will to live while preparing this ! )

https://sharecg.com/v/92967/view/11/Poser/More-Of-The-Cheapskates-Books

0_1547446673411_Untitled.jpg

• ...working on this v helped keep me sane while doing that ^...
    Barbarian Dad: You should consider yourself lucky that your mother didn't find... this...
    0_1547447172803_e0b4737b9b01e3bc93f0146f7c1ae4.jpg

• @3dcheapskate Will consume as soon as I get home, glad you found a release for the madness whilst doing this!

Amanda

• @3dcheapskate have you, perhaps, allowed a few volumes of Vogon Poetry to slip into your collection unawares ;-)

• @anomalaus I'd imagine that books of Vogon poetry would have a certain Dali-esque look to them, slowly dribbling off the shelves ?

I've also been considering adding a few boxed sets (not of Vogon poetry though):

• Yves St. Asimov's "Foundation" series (just the original trilogy): "Foundation", "Foundation And Blusher", "Second Foundation"
    • Frank Driedfruit's "Prune" series: "Prune", "Prune Messiah", "Children Of Prune", "God EmperorOf Prune", "Laxatives Of Prune"
    • G.P. 'Doc'McCoy's "Shelduck" series: "The Shelduck Of Space", "Shelduck Forty Two", "Shelduck On Valium", "Shelduck DuQuack"

• Next step - create a similar set of bookstacks, with bookstack-type morphs. I think that perhaps a 16-book stack may be a suitable maximum size ? So 16, 8, 4, 2, and 1 ... errr, not sure whether I actually need a single book stack - the single book props in the stuff I've just released should do, shouldn't they ?

And then create more of the combination props (non-adjustable), with some books leaning,others stacked, etc.

• @3dcheapskate said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

• Yves St. Asimov's "Foundation" series (just the original trilogy): "Foundation", "Foundation And Blusher", "Second Foundation"

Ohhhh, my all time favorite Sci-Fi book series. ~wink~

• Just had a thought about stacks, and the problem of linear morphs being unsuitable for rotations...
    0_1547564490414_StackFigure.jpg
    The key seemsto be to untick 'Bend' for each bone. Then you can use X/Z-Translate to move each book left-right/front-back and Y-rotate to turn each book...

• @3dcheapskate since each book prop is an instantiation of the same object, could you not just use valueOperations on the first book in the stack to control rotations and translations of the others, then no additional morphs are required to be subject to linear interpolation of a rotation morph?

• @anomalaus When you say instantiation are you speaking generally or (as I suspect) are you referring to a specific software feature of Poser 11**... that wasn't available in Poser 6, 8, 9, or PP2014 ?
    ( I'm creating these props in Poser6* - just to be awkward :oP )

*I like Poser 6 - I think it was the last version that didn't require Adobe Trash for the library.

**I do have Poser 11 but I never open it - PP2014 is my main work-horse. Poser 6 is just for making people think "The fool!" ! ;o)

• @3dcheapskate heh, no, I'm just referring to the concept that multiple "instances" of the same prop loaded into a scene can all refer to the same wavefront obj file. To my knowledge, Poser has yet to exhibit any form of procedural instantiation, like automatically populating a scene with multiple plant props which would all respond to changes to a master. One could, conceivably, use a figure to build such a structure, with one prop as each body part (and I don't mean following the human body hierarchy).

I have done such things with tree props, and a lot of valueOperations to deliver equal spacing and rotations. Much like what you're doing with book props.
    0_1547624942338_Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 7.53.21 am.png

• @anomalaus "...multiple "instances" of the same prop loaded into a scene can all refer to the same wavefront obj file..." - that would be the situation if you loaded N copies of one of the 1-book props: at least it would if I'd remembered (in truth, if I'd been bothered) to extract the geometry from the Poser-generated PP2 and put it in an external OBJ - which I didn't.

If you loaded one of my 1-book props and then loaded several more of the same 1-book props, parenting each to the first (or the previous) you'd end up with a lovely stack of... identical titles.Of course, you could then manually set the U/V offsets for each,but that rather defeats the purpose of having the basic 64-book mesh having each book mapped to a separate part of the UV-map.

The multi-book N-book props released so far all have separate (but identical - although offset in both world-space and UV-space) geometry for N separate books.

The picture in my previous post was what you suggested, turning an existing 4-book prop into a figure,one book per bone (a bit of fiddling required) to see what problems that approach would have.

Still playing,still having fun ! :o)

• @3dcheapskate ah, yes, but the UV offsets themselves can be animated and driven by valueOperations from the master, as well.

Your multi-book props could easily have each book refer to the same extracted obj file. They just need to have incrementally different versions of the material (each one has to have it's own unique animated shaderNodeParm to control the U(V) offset, assuming you have the titles all in a single row along the U axis).

Anyway, regardless, as you've stated yourself, the main point is to have fun while doing something. X-D

• @anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate ah, yes, but the UV offsets themselves can be animated and driven by valueOperations from the master, as well...

I'm going to have to give that a try too - it sounds like fun ! :o)

• Manually adding deltaAddDeltas is too error prone, especially if you have a dodgy keyboard like me, and the 'Create New Master Parameter /Start Teaching stuff in Poser doesn't do deltaAddDeltas does it ? So I got out the hammer and chisel and chewing gum and string and starting knocking my Freazypose script about a bit...
    Here's me playing with it in PP2014:
    0_1547794878737_test.jpg
    That delightfully named '07HB+Jx01_5' slaved prop isn't parented (except to the UNIVERSE), and I was rather surprised to find that if I saved all five books as a prop and reloaded that prop, the slaving still worked (but not in Poser 6) - even when I loaded two copies of the prop.

A little play with slaving material U/V offsets next perhaps ? And I think a bit of parenting is necessary too.

• @3dcheapskate no, that's an unfortunate drawback of the Dependency Editor. It can create new valueOperations, but will always default to Keyed, if there are no other valOps in the list. If you already have a deltaAdd dependency, then selecting that will allow the Start Teaching to create new deltaAdd valOps.

Most of the time, I resort to manually creating deltaAdds in the Python Shell

valOp = parm.AddValueOperation(poser.kValueOpDELTAADD,srcParm)
    valOp.SetDelta(1.0)

where parm is the slave parameter, and srcParm is the master. Adjust the delta value as required, and that's all that needs to be done.