Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...

• Hmmm... 915 lines per MT ? That didn't seem right - I only need the vertex lines, which cuts it down to 329 lines.

And I think I see a way to improve the small stacks...

• If anybody ever does a different texture for these then it's a piece of cake to combine two textures using a simple mask (a black and white PNG) and Blender node. I don't think it's even necessary to set the Image_Map filtering to 'None' for the mask.
    0_1535475394742_mask.jpg

• @3dcheapskate I think I know what I need to do to prevent the 'Odds Random 1'and 'Evens Random 1' morphs from making the mini-stacks of 'SCATTER_TEST' move off or into the floor. I think a sketch says it best.
    0_1535476441631_ministacksolution.jpg
    This will also mean the those two 'Random'morphs would no longer alter the length of the row.

• Bloody edit timeout ! (continuation of previous post)
    ...I'm also wondering about turning some of the books upside down and/or rotating +-90 or 180 degrees around a vertical axis (the 'Stack Random' morphs only rotate books maybe 20-30 degrees at most). I'dmost likely do this with morphs - which would probablyonly be ant good ifset to 1.0 (100%)

• A suggestion:

Instead of making these option morphs in the original full prop, why not create instances from your original "Book Row" (and keeping it lightweight without all those extra morphs for ALL books in the original row).

Make instances of 2, 3, 4, 5 books which then can be posed individually (sized, randomize etc. as in the original Book Row)
    This would greatly reduce memory useage because you wouldn't have to load another instance of the original prop with all it's morphs for, say, just four books lying on the floor.

Using UV texture offsets, they even could share the same base texture ( == reduces memory load again).

Speaking of textures:

One that stands out like a sore thumb is the "Iggy Roomdivider And The Arachnids Of Venus" because of it's psychedelic colours.
    I suggest to use more dull textures for the backs, so the repetition becomes much less obvious.

Anyway: really great work!
    I say this as a passionate prop creator myself so I can judge your ingenuity, and all the work it needs to create all those morph options.
    Now, carry on!

Thank you!
    Karina

P.S.:
    It just occurred to me:
    Could that be a solution for the "leaning book" as discussed above?

• create a single book, as an individual prop.
    • Split the original "books in a row" into two separate instances.
    • offset the second instance +X-wise from the first instance.
    • Place the single book prop in the gap between the two instances (--> smart prop?)
      Because that single book is a separate prop (while still sharing the same texture map by using offsets), you can scale, rotate and translate it as needed, without a single additional morph!

As said at ShareCG: IDIC!

K

• I've also made a couple of mods to my basic starter model of a generic hardback - making the covers/spine slightly taller than pages, splitting the pages to allow them to be bent, splitting the spine to allow it to be curved too, and adding a raised bit for that two-tone stitching you often see where the pages touch the spine.
    0_1535478411701_HardbackTopOfSpine.jpg
    I also think it should have a dust-jacket.

• @karina Point taken about all the morphs. I'm really just playing with ideas at the the moment to see what works and what doesn't. For the final thing (if I ever get there!) I'll probably include one prop with all the morphs, plus props with specific subsets of the morphs (e.g. a bookrow prop with only bookrow-related morphs, a bookstack prop with only bookstack-related morphs, and a prop with several mini-stacks and morphs for moving them around), plus pre-morphed props without any actual morphs. I think that should keep most people happy.

The repeating textures won't be a problem as I'm gradually adding new titles ( I keep adding to the list here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3848091/#Comment_3848091 ) and some of those will replace all the duplicates.

I've been wondering about how to change the number of books in the row - I toyed with the idea of using transparency, but realized that's not a good idea. I think I overlooked the obvious - make a few extra props and delete the unnecessary books (hopefully I'll be able to do the same for the MTs).

And the leaning book(s)may possibly be best left to the user - like you said.

I've already done a single book prop with a few different distortion-free UV mappings and the best use of the available space on a square UV (but you've just reminded me that I should have one with the same UV-mapping as the bookrow books). They're currently based on a 17.5cm x 10.5cm paperback, but with 1cm, 2cm, and 3cm thicknesses, and the covers map to slightly different areas on each - not sure whether that's a good idea (a couple of example textures for the 1cm one attached). I also hope to including mappings to use other peoples' book textures.
    0_1535479780172_AGraphicNovel.jpg 0_1535479793552_TheRenaissanceOverlord.jpg
    I also need to remap slightly anyway - 40 books at 50 pixels width plus one at 48pixels gives a two pixel error when you use a U_Offset and wrap the texture. 64 books at 32 pixels width (which is what I'm using on the six rows prop), or more likely 32 books at 64 pixels width, is probably what I'll end up using.

• The Librarian doesn't seem pleased with measly paperbacks ;)
    (But thanks for that awesome set of books. I've been collecting books for Poser since like forever. One can never have too many books, real or virtual ;) )
    0_1535527231041_7aef85a3-e00a-407a-b6a9-e4061d12bb68-image.png

• @trekkiegrrrl Do I see "Martin Wugglechops" by Chas Dikkens amongst those leatherbound volumes ?!
    With such a rare (and valuable) tome she's obviously a connoisseur*. So I'm really not surprised by her reaction to that stack of pulp ! :o)

*I had to look up the spelling...

• @trekkiegrrrl Hmmm... I notice that even though the 'Stack Random' morphs mean that the pulp book stack is no longer lined up along the bottom edges of the paperbacks, there's a certain anal retentivivity to the randomness. I thick some additional randomish horizontal (speaking stackwise, i.e. post-90-degree-Z-rotation-wise) offsets would add an even more realistic precarious-osity-ness* to the stack. Plus having some books upside down, and some rotated through an extra 180 degrees (as I think I mentioned earlier).

And speaking of orderliness - I think some bookrow morphs to have them all sorted in height order might be fun.

And as karina noted, maybe have different props for different purposes, rather than whanging* all the morphs onto a single uber-prop... hmm...the UberBook... that has a certain DAZiness about it... ;o)

*technical terms

• (yep, edit timeout again!)
    ...but then again "Uber is probably ©, ™, ®, and ☠ (that last one's not quite as common - it means "verboten"). So may UnterBook?

• I'm upto 274 vertices / 254 faces on the basic hardback mesh (now including a dustjacket, which is a bit too tight-fitting...).
    I had a quick play with the mesh to see if can do an open book that actually looks like an open book.
    0_1535559043411_Render 1.png
    I think I'm on the right track.

• ...and a bit of that mesh:
    0_1535559761351_mesh.jpg

• Here's a couple of earlier, very simple hardbacks - stepping stones as it were...
    0_1535623560390_SimplestBookMeshes.jpg

• ...and jumping back to that observation by anomalaus about using a magnet, and the further details here , I've been playing with that. Using a magnet exactly as suggested I can rotate any individual book. I just adjust the xTran and yTran of the Mag Base to select the book, then yRotate the magnet itself.
    0_1535623870109_rotateABook.jpg

Adding the master/slave relationship seems quite trivial, but each time I edit the CR2 (manually) I do something different wrong. But I've seen enough to be 99% certain that it'll work if I canget my fingers to hit the right keys !

• I've got past that finger trouble I was having, and the magnet's now working as hoped - I can select, tilt, and pull out any book...
    0_1535685431095_magneto.jpg

(and I made a backup of the CR2, just in case. Plus I made notes of what I edited, just in case)

It looks as if the magnet works on the BASE (i.e. unmorphed) mesh. So I can add a morph to close up the gaps (i.e. as I originally had the books) and the book selection, pulling,and tilting will still work correctly. Note that if the magnet is visible it will appear further along the row than the selected book, which could be slightly confusing. But Poser appears to override the visibility of magnet stuff, so I'm not sure whether I can keep it hidden.

Since the base mesh (for this six rows prop) has now changed, the MTs that I'd already created will no longer work and I'll need to redo them - lucky I didn't do too many !

I think that morphs that change just the book thickness should work 100% correctly with the magnet 'Tilt'. But I'm not sure about morphs that change the book height and/or width. There's one way to find out (I may be some time as I have things to do today)...

• %#$@&^ edit timeout again ! I can't be bothered to retype ! This is SO annoying !*

• @3dcheapskate as I mentioned previously, if all of the necessary magnet functions are driven from valueParameters on another actor, you can replace the geometries for the base, magnet and zone with null.obj and poser then cannot make them visible. Poser's settings for deformer visibility are frequently unhelpful in this kind of situation, because it can't tell when you actually need to see the magnets, so it's all hidden, all visible all the time, or current selection dependent, then you go and select an actor with lots of magnets attached and they all show up, obscuring what you want to see. Hence, when you've finished adjusting deformers, permanently hide them by removing their geometries.

The caveat with using the linear interpolation of the deformerPropChan "Mag 1", is that it's not controlling the rotation angle, so the linear interpolation is only driving the vertex displacements, not interpolating the rotation angle. Beware!

• @anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate as I mentioned previously ... you can replace the geometries for the base, magnet and zone with null.obj ...

Thanks - yes, so you did.That should do the trick. (I hadn't got round to that bit yet... ;o) )

@anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate ... The caveat with using the linear interpolation of the deformerPropChan "Mag 1", is that it's not controlling the rotation angle, so the linear interpolation is only driving the vertex displacements, not interpolating the rotation angle. Beware!

Making the 'deformerPropChan Mag 1' channel in the Bookrows prop hidden (and for good measure setting Force Limits with the value, max ,and min all set to 1 just in case somebody unhides it) sidesteps that problem.

It's probably also a good idea to rename 'Mag 1' , 'Mag Base 1' and Mag Zone 1'. I for one hate it when I view the props in a scene and see a profileration of 'Mag XYZs' with no indication of what they're for.

Also still need to see how the magnet affects the books if they've had other morphs applied.

• (Sorry I'm tired as hell, so I didn't read the latest posts properly)

Just one thing @3dchaepskate:
    Remember that the users of your prop can always subdivide your "hardback" book!
    Thus you won't have to create a high-res mesh of your hardback.
    Just add a short description of how to subdivide the book before use. (Make it like I do: use the "Group" nodes in the "properties" tab to show your useage tips!)