Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...

• ...and a bit of that mesh:
    0_1535559761351_mesh.jpg

• Here's a couple of earlier, very simple hardbacks - stepping stones as it were...
    0_1535623560390_SimplestBookMeshes.jpg

• ...and jumping back to that observation by anomalaus about using a magnet, and the further details here , I've been playing with that. Using a magnet exactly as suggested I can rotate any individual book. I just adjust the xTran and yTran of the Mag Base to select the book, then yRotate the magnet itself.
    0_1535623870109_rotateABook.jpg

Adding the master/slave relationship seems quite trivial, but each time I edit the CR2 (manually) I do something different wrong. But I've seen enough to be 99% certain that it'll work if I canget my fingers to hit the right keys !

• I've got past that finger trouble I was having, and the magnet's now working as hoped - I can select, tilt, and pull out any book...
    0_1535685431095_magneto.jpg

(and I made a backup of the CR2, just in case. Plus I made notes of what I edited, just in case)

It looks as if the magnet works on the BASE (i.e. unmorphed) mesh. So I can add a morph to close up the gaps (i.e. as I originally had the books) and the book selection, pulling,and tilting will still work correctly. Note that if the magnet is visible it will appear further along the row than the selected book, which could be slightly confusing. But Poser appears to override the visibility of magnet stuff, so I'm not sure whether I can keep it hidden.

Since the base mesh (for this six rows prop) has now changed, the MTs that I'd already created will no longer work and I'll need to redo them - lucky I didn't do too many !

I think that morphs that change just the book thickness should work 100% correctly with the magnet 'Tilt'. But I'm not sure about morphs that change the book height and/or width. There's one way to find out (I may be some time as I have things to do today)...

• %#$@&^ edit timeout again ! I can't be bothered to retype ! This is SO annoying !*

• @3dcheapskate as I mentioned previously, if all of the necessary magnet functions are driven from valueParameters on another actor, you can replace the geometries for the base, magnet and zone with null.obj and poser then cannot make them visible. Poser's settings for deformer visibility are frequently unhelpful in this kind of situation, because it can't tell when you actually need to see the magnets, so it's all hidden, all visible all the time, or current selection dependent, then you go and select an actor with lots of magnets attached and they all show up, obscuring what you want to see. Hence, when you've finished adjusting deformers, permanently hide them by removing their geometries.

The caveat with using the linear interpolation of the deformerPropChan "Mag 1", is that it's not controlling the rotation angle, so the linear interpolation is only driving the vertex displacements, not interpolating the rotation angle. Beware!

• @anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate as I mentioned previously ... you can replace the geometries for the base, magnet and zone with null.obj ...

Thanks - yes, so you did.That should do the trick. (I hadn't got round to that bit yet... ;o) )

@anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate ... The caveat with using the linear interpolation of the deformerPropChan "Mag 1", is that it's not controlling the rotation angle, so the linear interpolation is only driving the vertex displacements, not interpolating the rotation angle. Beware!

Making the 'deformerPropChan Mag 1' channel in the Bookrows prop hidden (and for good measure setting Force Limits with the value, max ,and min all set to 1 just in case somebody unhides it) sidesteps that problem.

It's probably also a good idea to rename 'Mag 1' , 'Mag Base 1' and Mag Zone 1'. I for one hate it when I view the props in a scene and see a profileration of 'Mag XYZs' with no indication of what they're for.

Also still need to see how the magnet affects the books if they've had other morphs applied.

• (Sorry I'm tired as hell, so I didn't read the latest posts properly)

Just one thing @3dchaepskate:
    Remember that the users of your prop can always subdivide your "hardback" book!
    Thus you won't have to create a high-res mesh of your hardback.
    Just add a short description of how to subdivide the book before use. (Make it like I do: use the "Group" nodes in the "properties" tab to show your useage tips!)

• *@karina said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

Remember that the users of your prop can always subdivide your "hardback" book!*

Subdividing is meant for organic, rounded forms. It usually deforms non-organic angular objects.

• @darthj said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

*@karina said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

Remember that the users of your prop can always subdivide your "hardback" book!*

Subdividing is meant for organic, rounded forms. It usually deforms non-organic angular objects.

That depends entirely on how they're modeled. I subdivide anything that has visible "jagged edges" (unless it
    s a diamond or a shard of glass or similar ;) )

• @trekkiegrrrl Yes indeed - adding control edges and defining 'Mark Sharp' edges (in Blender terminology, 'Smoothing Groups' in OBJ / Poser terms) in the base mesh are ways I've used in the past to ensure that subdividing only smooths in the relevant places.(Control edges have the added bonus that they allow displacements and Poser's 'Smooth Polygons' to work together as per my warpy cube... )

• @3dcheapskate I've seen the "s <number>" lines in obj files, but never been sure that Poser actually parses and adheres to them. Are you confirming that they actually do work in cooperation with Poser's subdivision? (Must look at the warpy cube 8-O)

@3dcheapskate I've seen the "s <number>" lines in obj files, but never been sure that Poser actually parses and adheres to them. Are you confirming that they actually do work in cooperation with Poser's subdivision? (Must look at the warpy cube 8-O)

Not for sure... it's more a faith thing, a vague belief I've built up over many years... ;o) (I don't think I've ever used Poser subdivision)

The warpy cube is my pièce de résistance, the pinnacle of my Poser achievements. A 56 vertex / 54 face IDIC* amoeboid (N.B. it requires a renderer that does micropolygon displacement, like good/bad old Firefly or 3Delight, and probably won't work with Iray/Superfly).

*thanks Karina for introducing me to that term

• For the bookrow-books* mapping the covers to a small patch on the spine made sense as detail isn't necessary, just a sort of colour match.

But I couldn't help wondering whether it would worth mapping the covers to separate, but still tiny, rectangles. (Simultaneously bearing in mind that I want to be able to simply adjust U/V offsets for the Image_Map in the material room to change which book is at the start, so the mapping size of each book needs to tile perfectly onto a 2048x2048 image)

Here's one possibility: The entire thing is 512x64 (so 4 rows of 32 books each, 129 books in total, on a 2048x2048 image), with 40x64 front/back micro-cover images:
    0_1535956309895_1fdf2f03905915e10966fd53e469ea.jpg

And the acid test - how does that render (PP2014 default render settings I think, with Image_Map filtering set to 'None')?
    0_1535956550901_f92815ba18da8eb1af9087cd3cf578.jpg
    I was rather impressed !

*The main point here is that you don't expect to see the covers because of the adjacent books, and the books at the ends will be up against the ends of the bookshelves. You may see small patches if a book is larger than its neighbour, which is why I went for simply grabbing a colour swatch from the spine. And I always had the intention of doing a fully mapped 8v/6f single book to cover the situations where you are likely to see the full cover.

• @3dcheapskate Just to clarify why I said "...I don't think I've ever used Poser subdivision..." after saying "...are ways I've used in the past to ensure that subdividing only smooths..." , which on the face of it is a bit of a contradiction ! I've never (intentionally) used Poser subdivision for any pictures I've done. But I did play with it a bit to see what happened with sharp edges and displacement and smoothing and stuff like that. Trouble is that when I play, I don't usually write things down, which is why a lot of what I 'know' is based on vague beliefs and half-remembered 'stuff I once did'... ;o)

• Hmmm -I'm now wondering whether I could map the bookspine + micro-covers into a 256x32 area ? 8 rows of 64 books for a total of 512. But I think that may be going too far...

@3dcheapskate I've seen the "s <number>" lines in obj files, but never been sure that Poser actually parses and adheres to them. Are you confirming that they actually do work in cooperation with Poser's subdivision? (Must look at the warpy cube 8-O)

A basic cube with 4 smoothing groups, rendered in PP2014 with crease angle=180 and Smooth Polys render setting ON - renders sort of as expected :
    0_1535969600152_smoothinggroups.jpg

As above, but turn on 1 level of SubD:
    0_1535969713192_plusSubD.jpg

Turn off smoothing in both render settings and object:
    0_1535969814488_smoothingOff.jpg

So I guess the answer to that question is a resounding "No"

• I remember a long time ago, in a manual for Poser7 (Pro),

I read that one should ALWAYS turn OFF "Smooth Polys" in the general render settings because that's the equivalent to using a harvester for trimming some grass patches in your ornamental garden.

Instead you should turn on/off "Smooth Polys" exlicitly in every prop or figure in the scene:

• For figures, turn it on.
    • For props, turn it off.

I adhered to that advise ever since then, and I never had the problems described here.

K

• Whenever I remember to do so, I save the props I make with Smoothing ="0" in the PP2.

The very old ones are different, as the problem didn't occur until Poser 5 and Firefly.

• Rules are made to be broken, and advice is made to be ignored ! ;o)

My warpy cube is a prop, specifically designed to break rules, advice and all conventional wisdom - and Smooth Polys MUST be turned ON in render settings for it to work. QED :P

Anyway, back to the booky stuff - I've been playing a bit more with the geometry swapping for the six rows and it's beginning to come together...
    0_1535985117866_FunWithGeometrySwapping.jpg
    The cones are just dummies to prove the principle, and to check that I've got the right files in the right places. Now I need to create a few variants for each shelf (books leaning, stacked, gaps, etc). The B.L.Render book indicated that morphs might sort-of work with the geometry swapped items, but there are provisos and caveats - so I need to try some.

Also I think that the magnet for pulling individual books out won't work with this.
    I think I'll include that magnet idea with a separate very simple six rows prop with either predefined varying book sizes (i.e. no morphs) or size morphs of no more than around +-5%.