Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...

• Simple tests with Geometry Swapping and MTs (using PP2014). From the Parameters tab I can load an MT whose vertex count matches the currently selected/displayed geometry. So for example I have to have the cone variant selected to load a cone morph. I can thus load morphs for each alternate geometry by first selecting that geometry. All MT dials are bundled together under "Morph" on the parameter tab - some manual grouping might be needed

Alternatively, to keep this geometry-swapping multi-bookrow as lightweight as possible it may be simpler to have alternate geometries with pseudo-random-ish sizes,etc and NO morphs (or very few).

...I'm thinking maybe use a 'valueParameter' driving yTran tohandle the shelf height adjustment ?

And this CR2 geometry swapping also works in DAZ Studio (both DS3 and DS4.9) ! ...0_1535990161889_ds3too.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@karina said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

I remember a long time ago, in a manual for Poser7 (Pro),

I read that one should ALWAYS turn OFF "Smooth Polys" in the general render settings because that's the equivalent to using a harvester for trimming some grass patches in your ornamental garden.

Instead you should turn on/off "Smooth Polys" exlicitly in every prop or figure in the scene:

• For figures, turn it on.
    • For props, turn it off.

I adhered to that advise ever since then, and I never had the problems described here.

K

The render setting is a master switch that does not FORCE smooth polygons ON - it forces it OFF.

An analogy - your main circuit breaker in your home does not turn on the lights. It allows them to turn on or stops them all. Each light has its own switch to turn on that light. If the main switch is off, however, then the individual light switches do nothing.

Replace the word "light switch" with "smooth polygons switch" and you now will understand how this works.

Karina - you avoided problems with smoothing by completely turning all smoothing off in render settings. What you do on a prop or figure after that is just wasting your time. Same as turning off the electricity to your house - no problems with light bulbs after that. Or turning off the main water valve in your house - no problem with leaky faucets after that.

• How about random book colours ?
    0_1536019659386_RandomColours.jpg
    ...although the 'random' of the Cellular node's 'Random' doesn't look very random to me.

• @3dcheapskate you could try combining multiple cellular nodes with different scales that are multiples of the number of rows and columns that you want. A lá fractal.

• @anomalaus I hadn't noticed the repeating patterns ! I had a thread here about those a whileback - PP2014, Cellular Node: How to get rid of that godawful repeating pattern ?

I was actually thinking more in terms of the colours themselves - they don't seem random, more like a small selection of bright oversaturated pastels (if that's not a contradiction).
    Where are the greys, the dulls, and the darks ?

(Although creative mixing of cellulars as you suggest can probably get round that too)

• Getting back to the six-rows figure with the geometry swapping,I've been doing some thought experiments...
    Since the morphs for every variant of every shelf/row will be in the CR2 that could defeat the 'light-weight'-ness of the prop. So I think rather than morphs I'll just go for a larger number of morphless alternate geometry variants for each shelf, each incorporating random-ish variations in book sizes, and/or subgroups of leaning books, and/or subgroups of small stacks of books, and/or gaps, and or non-book shelf clutter.

So I create an alternate geometry mesh for the bottom shelf (bottom-left-rear corner of the first book at the origin,assuming it's standiing normally and not leaning/stacked), UV-mapped to the spine/book textures for the bottom row, and save it as an OBJ file. But now that I have this new OBJ, why not also use it for a completely separate prop, possibly with morph targets?

What if I want to use that same alternate geometry for the second shelf up? Can I do that? In Blender I need to move the mesh upwards from the bottom shelf position to the second shelf up position, remap it to use the spine/book textures for the second row up (that's actually very easy), and save it as another new OBJ...
    So, I started wondering if there's a way that I can use the same alternate geometry OBJ I've already just done for the bottom shelf instead? Here's the bone structure I'm using (note that I have 'Bend' unticked on the Properties tab of each shelf, so I can totally ignore all those joint bend/twist/zone thingies):
    0_1536073620103_dembones.jpg
    But maybe if I had the six 'shelf' bones in exactly the same position (i.e. the bottom shelf) and simply used the yTranslate for each shelf bone to move it up to the correct position?* I think that would work (haven't tried it yet though) - I'd probably have a 'Shelf Separation' valueParm on the Body to drive the yTranslates of each shelf...
    But the OBJ was UV mapped to the bottom row, and I'd now want it mapped to the second row from the bottom. This is a simple U_Offset to the texture map (I don't think I've actually posted the map on this thread, but if you look at the Image_Map with the book-titles on my "How about random book colours ?" post, a couple up from this one, you should see what I'm on about). But can I automate the setting of U_Offset in the materialwhen I spin the altGeom dial and Poser loads an alternate geometry. Maybe Parmatic?

Like I said, just thought experiments at present...

*this may possibly break rules, advice and all conventional wisdom, but who cares ?

• @3dcheapskate here's another experimental thought. Although per-book morphs are not lightweight (unless your obj has very few vertices, which purely box-shaped paperback books could be), per book animated origins are. Since you'd only have two axes to animate, in order to move a book's origin from front to back cover, and from spine to leaf edges of the bottom. Once you have those axes slaved to two value parameters (and the origin movement can also be influenced by scaling, to the books can be thicker or deeper, and the origin movements will still adhere to the edges), the book's own rotation dials can do away with any need for deformers to tilt them out or side-to-side.

• @anomalaus I don't quite follow that, so I'm probably missing something...
    In my current six-rows figure each row of 64 books is a single mesh - so surely the origin, rotations, and translations will work on the whole row of books, not just one book.

• @3dcheapskate yes, sorry, it was relevant to the single book mesh, not the single-prop stack or shelf-full of book(s) prop. My suggestion was more to do with additional streamlining for a single book, which doesn't require a deformer to adjust it's attitude on the shelf, but where it's rotations need to occur about different origins, depending on the sign of the rotation angle, whether side-side or front-back. For a single-prop row of books, a side tilt would need to be a morph, and the prop would have to have enough vertices to show the tilt of individual books; probably not worth the trouble.

Moving a stack or row of individual book props though, could be much simplified by parenting them all to a grouping object and moving that. It can also act as a master visibility switch, if you animate the visibility of the grouping object.

• @anomalaus Thanks - for once I wasn't missing something ! ;o)
    And your suggestion about an animated origin is now lodged somewhere in my brain for future use...

• For DS users mCasual has finished mcjTheLibrarian - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3929771/#Comment_3929771

• I've now done atexture with 41 different books for the original prop release. Here's what the result looks like:
    0_1536599495316_books.jpg
    ...and here's the 2048x2048 JPG texture (simply download, save, and apply to the existing prop)...
    0_1536599565703_BookRowUV01-Texture2.jpg
    And I really do need to use one of the alternative UV mappings for the next iteration/release.

• Now that I've got rid of the dupli/triplication of titles on that 41 book texture, why not reintroduce some tripli/quadruplication? I've taken the 41 titles I've got so far and squeezed-and-pulled them to fit into a new mapping as mentioned here - 512x64 per book, with 400x64 for the spine, 40x64 each for front/back covers,and 32x64 (not 44x64 as incorrectly stated in that post) for the page edges. So four columns in the texture image, each containing 32books. And it's now very easy to use U/V offsets to select any of the 128 books on the texture map.
    0_1536685614476_newbooks.jpg
    And here's the actual 2048x2048 texture map as it stands, with tripli/quadruplication of some titles.
    0_1536685748262_4Rows x 32Books TEST 1.jpg
    So now I just need to come up with 128-41=87 more weird book titles and do the spines for them.
    And do micro-covers for 126 books.

• @3dcheapskate are these all your own pseudonyms and titles? ;-) I particularly like "The Euphonium of Derision", snort ;-)

• @anomalaus I originally thought about using photos of real books, but decided to steer completely clear of anything that might involve ©™®☠. So yes, I made them all up* - my brain seems to produce weird phrases at random intervals,some of which make good book titles. But authors are more difficult, which is why I opted for the 'see how many different ways I can write 3dcheapskate' approach.Although occasionally another author seemed appropriate. My ongoing list is on this DAZ forum post (no edit timeouts over there!)

*I know that at least one of these titles ('Alice Aforethought') actually exists, but I don't think any of the others do.

• What about themed rows of books with every book about "magic" , "war", "3D", "cooking", etc ... ?

• @3dcheapskate said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@anomalaus I originally thought about using photos of real books, but decided to steer completely clear of anything that might involve ©™®☠. So yes, I made them all up* - my brain seems to produce weird phrases at random intervals,some of which make good book titles. But authors are more difficult, which is why I opted for the 'see how many different ways I can write 3dcheapskate' approach.Although occasionally another author seemed appropriate. My ongoing list is on this DAZ forum post (no edit timeouts over there!)

*I know that at least one of these titles ('Alice Aforethought') actually exists, but I don't think any of the others do.

I am absolutely in love with not just the titles but the many ways of getting 3dcheapskate on them, too.

How about translations/synonyms for cheapskate? In Danish it would be Fedtsyl eller (less polite, if there's ever a polite word for it) Fedterøv. Nærig is another word with the same meaning, I suppose it's the "official" term, like miser and cheapskate. Not that you are either of those, giving these wonderful books away :)

• @DarthJ I thought about that, but I seem to be stuck with the titles that pop out of my head. And I wouldn't have a clue how to categorize some of them !
    @trekkiegrrrl I thought about that too, but my language skills are somewhat limited. Maybe I should ask The Linguists Of Babel III* to help me ?

*That's probably the hardest title to read on the texture map

Just in case anybody fancies assisting me, here's the 512x64 template I'm now using. You can post any spines you come up with on this thread if you want. Alternatively just post any stupid/weird titles and/or authors names you come up with.
    (Note: Simply making the back and front covers a solid colour that sort-of matches the spine is sufficient)
    0_1536849270780_512x64book.png

• This might be a better template - 2 books, so 512x128, and if you tile it each book will remain distinct from its neighbours. Tile it (GIMP: Filters > Map >Tile) and use the Fuzzy Select tool (with threshold set to zero) to select just the front cover, rear cover, or spine + the two 1pixel lines.Then flood/pattern/gradient fill or paste your background colour/image. Then just add a title and author in an appropriate font (optionally pimp it up - GIMP: Filters >Alpha To Logo).
    0_1536860502710_512x64bookx2.png

• I think you should add some Ukrainian classics to your library:

Author: N. Cobol

• Tara's Bulb (A History of Light)
    • The Newish Prospect
    • The Trenchcoat
    • The "LAZ-695M" Coach
    • Ivan F. Bonkers and his Uncle
    • Old Fashioned Farming
    • The Afternoon of a Busy Woman
    • The Night Before New Year's Eve
    • A Little Vengeance
    • The Ferry of Choroshoska
    • April Day, or the Unsinkable Babushka
    • The Noose
    • Diary of a Perfectly Sane Man
    • The Letter That Never Was
    • The Censor

And of course, add the "Evenings at the Village Of Proni" to your collection because it comprises most of the short stories above!
    (and tell "Pani Oksana" to serve us another Vodka, on my bill! This post made me thirsty!)

Pan Golova
    em - NO!

Karina

P.S.:
    Google for "Nikaly Gogol" to compare the original titles to my mock-ups.
    I don't think that any of these would cause a problem.
    If you want to add those, I'd suggest a dull red/brownish cover with golden letters (at least that's what my Gogol books look like)