Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...

• I've also forgotten:

• "War And A Piece" -> make that book thrice the volume of the other ones :P
    • "Kashka Karinina"
    • "Eradication"
      by "Lev Nikolaevitch Stout" <<- now hunt for that! :D

and of course "Doctor's Yevsky":

• "Have debts and get away with it"
    • "The Sisters Kamikazov"

Just for fun :D
    K

• @karina That's exactly the sort of thing I need ! Thanks.
    But now the phrase 'Google Gogol' is running around my head, and 'Gogol's Gorgonzola' popped out...

• This thread is the reason that I added the "If there was such a thing I'd probably be classified as a manic-apathetic..." to my signature. Shortly after my previous post I was playing with some alternate geometry OBJs for the books in Blender. My muse crept up behind me, and whispered in my ear, "What the %$#@ do you think you're doing... you know it's all a total waste of time, don't you ?" Apathetic mode kicked in there and then.

About a month later I find myself wondering where I'd got to on this...

"Zola's Other Zither" or perhaps even "Zorba's Other Zither"

• Just trying to refresh my mind. Looking through pages 4 and 5 of this thread (I detest the 'modern' interminable scrolling so I have this forum set up to view 'pages') I see that I'd decided to use a 512x64 template for each bookspine (including micro front/back covers) as noted in post 78, making 4 rows of 32 books each on a 2048x2048 texture map. I think I've already got a version like that with all my existing bookspines, so I'll have to track that down.

It appears that I had plans to create the following props/figures:

1. A rework of the single bookrow prop that I've already released, with the new UV mapping and a selection of morphs
    2. Separate props for shorter bookrows and stacks of books with only a small number of morphs
    3. A single prop with multiple bookrows (for use with a shelf unit), including a few morphs,plus morphs to adjust for various shelf spacings
    4. A multiple bookrows figure (for use with a shelf unit) using geometry switching.
    5. Various single book props.

Let's see if I can make any progress over the next 5 days, shall we?

• Found the new map and I'd already posted it here, in post 73. The render in that post shows that the UV mapping of the micro front cover picks up a bit of the buff-coloured page tops so I need to adjust that a bit.
    Regarding Karina's book titles - are you suggesting the dull red/brownish covers with golden letters for the paperback versions (e.g. something like 'The Thoughtocrats' in the post 73 image), or are those the colours for a more classic hardback (leatherback?) edition look?

• It looks as if I'm doing the 'six bookrows as a single prop' thingy first.
    I'm using the older 340x32 bookspine template (6 rows of 64 books on one map) that I originally came up with for this, which is contrary to what I said two posts back.
    I'm using ERC to adjust for the spacing of the shelves (see the green circle with the arrows on the right of the image below). Despite what the BLRender book says about ERC being hit-or-miss if you try to use it in props (rather than figures) it seems to work in my PP2014 and Poser 6, even with two copies of the prop loaded.
    I'm currently going through and creating pseudo-random size morphs for the odd/even books on each shelf (shelf 1 and 2 done so far).
    Using the 'Scale' dial of the prop works nicely in conjunction with the morphs I've got.
    Here's an idea of where I'm up to.
    0_1539702555787_BookrowsProp6x64.jpg

• It's just gone midnight here so I'm off to bed. I've got the basic pseudo-randomizing of book sizes (width and height, but not thickness) done for each shelf using the odd/even morphs. I've also added a master dial to control them all.
    0_1539709906356_BookrowsProp6x64pt2.jpg

Next job is to do settings to fit the bookrows to various bookshelves. I should be able to do that by (1) setting x/y/z translates to get the bottom left corner of the bottom bookrow in the correct position on the shelf at its default position,(2) using the prop's 'Scale' dial and my 'Shelf 1To 6 Adjust' master dial in conjunction to get the bookrows correctly positioned and appropriately sized, and (3) using the individaul 'Shelf X Adjust' dials if the shelves are unevenly spaced. I may also need to use the 'xScale' dial to stretch/squash the bookrows to fit the shelves. I'm hoping that I can use ERC for this too - i.e. have a 'Fit To XYZ Bookshelf' dial which you set to 1 and that sets everything else as required.

• Oh bugger !
    Earlier today I did some settings to fit this to seachnasaigh's bookcase (FW2009) - x/y/zTran, Scale, and xScale, plus my 'Shelf1 To 6 Adjust' and individual 'Shelf # Adjust' tweaks for shelves 2 to 5, and 'Close Gaps = 1'. That was easy.

However, when I then twiddled my 'Randomize All Book Sizes' every bookrow moved upwards by a small amount in proportion to the twiddled value.
    After some further playing (using my SixBookrows prop withdefault settings) I realized that all the bookrows seemed to be moved the same distance, and the distance appears to be proportional to the total values of all the twelve 'Shelf # Odds' and 'Shelf # Evens' dials (See image below - there's a white duplicate of the sixBookrowsProp with default settings, but shifted slightly left (-x) and away (-z) so it remains visible along with the one I'm twiddling)
    I can't find the reference in the BLRender book saying that ERC is hit or miss if used in props, so I'm not sure that I'm remembering correctly. But it looks suspiciously like something's getting screwed...
    0_1539786834263_OhBugger.jpg

• @3dcheapskate I'd regard that comment (ERC being "hit or miss" on props) as "FOS"! There is no possible or plausible reason why there would be any difference between the method of evaluation of valueOperations on any actor. It's absolutely guaranteed to be one library routine, which will have no knowledge of, or care in the slightest, what kind of actor the channel it's evaluating comes from.

I'd be checking that the prop origins are zeroed and exactly in line with the bottom vertices of each book/row prop. If they're not, any Y-scaling will appear to translate them upwards. It happens to me all the time. I import a prop, decide it needs to be bigger, then have to compensate for it falling through the floor, due to its origin not being at Y=0.

• @anomalaus said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate ...I'd be checking that the prop origins are zeroed and exactly in line with the bottom vertices of each book/row prop. If they're not, any Y-scaling will appear to translate them upwards. It happens to me all the time. I import a prop, decide it needs to be bigger, then have to compensate for it falling through the floor, due to its origin not being at Y=0.

That was my first thought too. But when I import an OBJ and save it as a PP2 the very first thing I do is edit the PP2 to zero the prop origin and offsets (the 'origin' line and the 'initValue/staticValue' lines in the 'x/y/zOffsetA/B' sections) - and I did that here.
    I also checked the base mesh and morph target meshes for the bottom row of books in Blender and the bottom edges are all at zero.
    However, if it's worth checking then it's worth double-checking and triple-checking, especially since I finally realized that it was a vertical offset around midnight, and I was rather sleepy when I checked things.

• Ack! I only checked a couple of the MTs in Blender last night, and guess what ?
    The one's I checked were fine, but all the others had a small vertical offset... [rolleyes]

I should know better than to do stuff like that late at night, but I'm trying not to use the computer during the day... when I'm actually awake !

• @3dcheapskate said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

Ack! I only checked a couple of the MTs in Blender last night, and guess what ?
    The one's I checked were fine, but all the others had a small vertical offset... [rolleyes]

I should know better than to do stuff like that late at night, but I'm trying not to use the computer during the day... when I'm actually awake !

Well, at least you found the cause :)

• @3dcheapskate most probably forgot to zero or cancel out a morph when spawning another. I've made a habit when spawning morphs of zeroing all deformer influence, then spawning a zero morph which I set to -1, then activate only the deformer I intend to spawn from, before spawning and then deleting the zero morph. The other thing I recently realised that I have to double-check, is that subdivision is set to zero before spawning any morphs, because the zero subdiv level deltas get miscalculated if the subdivision is active.

• Well I finally got that resolved - it was all down to finger trouble of various sorts on my part.
    So I now have a PP2 where the bookrows do not unintentionally shift vertically when I twiddle the 'Randomize All BookSizes' and/or 'Shelf# Odds/Evens' dials. I put the bookrows prop into Seachnasaigh's bookcase again as a test and it seems okay now.
    0_1539913948841_InCase.jpg
    However, before doing the settings for actually fitting the prop to various bookcases I need to tidy up the PP2. I should have a maximum of 384 indices for each 'Shelf# Odds/Evens' but I actually have around 1500 due to a tiny offset that I missed. If I do a global find-and-replace in the PP2, load that in Poser, and then resave it from Poser it might automatically clear out the zero deltas...
    0_1539915356097_ToEdit.jpg

• Yes! That actually worked- I didn't expect it to.
    I think I'll take a break now for the rest of the day (it's 9am here). Maybe start the fitting to different bookcases stuff this evening.
    0_1539915813980_YesItWorked.jpg

• @3dcheapskate I'm just here to say thanks for using Edgar.

• @3dcheapskate This is looking really good, well done!

• @teyon said in Freebie: A Few Books By The Cheapskate...:

@3dcheapskate I'm just here to say thanks for using Edgar.

...that'd be my new avatar/icon/thingumajig/whatever-it's-called you're referring to ? I only recently rendered him for the first time, arriving at an off-the-beaten-track fishing village. And that made me realize what a cool, sexy dude he is ! ;o)

• @3dcheapskate Yup and glad you dig him. Ok, sorry, don't mean to derail. Carry on.

• Okay, so I thought I'd got the mechanism for fitting the SixBookrows prop to a bookcase all cut and dried. A 'Fit To...' master dial that controls Scale, xScale, x/y/zTran, and some of my dials...
    0_1539954293201_AlmostButNotQuite.jpg

That looks just about perfect. So I then parented the prop the bookcase...
    0_1539954363926_JumpsOnParenting.jpg

...what happened there ?

(Note: all my master dials are created as 'targetGeom'channels with zero deltas and zeroindices, as recommendedin the BLRender book, because 'valueParm' channels don't get saved in pose files)