An Enhancement Question...

• What to do you guys think of adding limited Text editing Tools to Poser? They would be similar to the Text editiong tools in Photoshop and Gimp except they would already be in Poser? Or better yet have the power to layer them over the renders, so you could work on them separately?

• That would be really low on my list. I usually add text in postwork, no need to implement that in Poser.

• @bantha I didn't say it was a priority, but why not? I've got nothing against GIMP or Photoshop, except PS's price, but including a text Editor in Poser could work well. For advertising, and magazine layouts. It would be even cooler if you could use it to type credits and titles over an animation.

• Poser Ambassadors

Agree here with @bantha . See really no use for it. I think almost everybody take the finish render in his Fav 2D app. PS, Gimp, PSP, or Affinity . There you have way more possibilities to put your text on it.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have experience building a professional graphics editor that included text overlays with animations and effects, for a digital signage platform. I can say with confidence that there is much effort involved, and that was with a good framework that already supported text overlays with animations as built-in primitives. Add onto that the fact that the wx-based UI that Poser uses offers no head start on the programming primitives required to assemble such a feature, and you're talking about man-years of work. Not worth it.

And before you say the animation part could be skipped, it's still a lot of work even for stills. Making text fade or move is actually rather easy, once the overlay/layering system exists. But such does not exist in wx.

• One of the biggest issues with doing something like this is the difference in WX support between Mac Os and Windows.
    Phoenix is just one example, and it doesn't work in Windows so you have to have branches in the code.

Not to mention that Python, is not the fastest way to do things.

Something like this would be far better off being hard coded, and as mentioned that takes a lot of time.

• I do recall some props forming text balloons for comics.

And if someone wants to sit down and build a python script that from an input text generates an easypose figure with geometry for each letter as a body part in a chain; a sort of text prop version 2, such could be useful.

I have no experiene with this, but it appears there is not only green field:
    http://ttfquery.sourceforge.net/
    https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/258076/how-to-generate-wkt-geometries-from-true-type-font-glyphs-python

• It depends on how extensive a text tool you want. P11 has ''Create Text Prop" which allows some selection of fonts. Just need to set visible in render to make it show up
    Bill

• SSSIIIGGGHHHHH!
    Never mind then. If Blender can already do this, it may just be the impetus I need to finally just take the plunge to full time.

I know it can do regular and 3D text.

• I'm afraid I don't see much point. I post work most of my images and most 2d image editors can already do a far better job far quicker than any implementation in Poser is like to achieve. I can see why the idea appeals but to be honest there's a reason I have a suite of programs not just one.

• @amylbone Well, yeah, but not everyone can afford a suite of programs. Especially one's that get more difficult to comprehend the more dedicated they become to doing a few tasks very well.

• There are a lot of free image editors. Pick what you like:

Best free photo editor 2018

Yes, you need to learn how to do what you want, but you would need to do that in a new Poser version as well.

• @eclark1849 I know the cost of professional programs can soon mount up, but as Bantha said there are free alternatives out there. I also know that learning new programs and skill can be a bit of a chore. It took me 18 months to finally concede learning 2D properly was worth the effort.

Adding a Photo Editor to your repertoire doesn't just add the option of text, but a load of post-work options that can make your artwork really pop. Not to mention compositing which opens whole new vistas.

I did this a while back with Poser and Photoshop incorporating several layers and Ron's War Elements:

alt text

There are loads of great tutorials on You-Tube. I'm not saying it's something you should do, but if you do, I think you will be glad you did. Although some initial frustration and irritation may come first. I know it did with me.

I'm unemployed right now so believe me I understand the need for financial prudence. Most of what I use is free except Poser and Photoshop. To be honest if I hadn't invested so much time an money on Photoshop I'd be using a free program and I do resent their subscription business model. Rather than think of i

• @eclark1849 having played minimally with the Create Text Prop in P11, and succeeded in adding links to System Fonts which Poser was then able to access (why couldn't it have just used the system fonts in the first place, already?), the major functional addition I'd like to see is a way to have a Python callback trigger the re-rendering of the text prop based on the contents of a text file. That way the text can be animated (if not in an individual letter position and rotation sense, so you won't get effects like letters flying in and assembling themselves).

The post-work scenario for text is great, until you want to have the text interact with the rest of the scene's contents, like casting shadows, or refracting/reflecting the surroundings.

• @anomalaus said in An Enhancement Question...:

@eclark1849 having played minimally with the Create Text Prop in P11, and succeeded in adding links to System Fonts which Poser was then able to access (why couldn't it have just used the system fonts in the first place, already?), the major functional addition I'd like to see is a way to have a Python callback trigger the re-rendering of the text prop based on the contents of a text file. That way the text can be animated (if not in an individual letter position and rotation sense, so you won't get effects like letters flying in and assembling themselves).

The post-work scenario for text is great, until you want to have the text interact with the rest of the scene's contents, like casting shadows, or refracting/reflecting the surroundings.

There are ways of doing that in post, but admittedly (with the exception of shadows which are a doddle, at least in PS) that is creeping into intermediate/advanced territory. So I see where you are coming from. To be honest it isn't something I'd thought about, but then again I've not made the leap into animation yet. I've thought about it, but should probably work to achieve to make the leap from mediocrity to adequacy with static images first. :D

• @amylbone the reason I started investigating the text props was because I was looking for a way to give the user subtle feedback, without popping a dialog box that had to be OK'd or Cancelled to acknowledge. I was also frustrated that the parameter dials don't include user specifiable units (Yes, we get % and ° symbols, or mm for camera focal lengths, but everything else is implicit), or better still, an actual Text parameter, where you can put an animatable status message (even if it just used an ordinal number to index a line in a text file)!