Where can I buy older Poser versions for sale ?

• Apart from Ebay and Amazon, am I missing some obvious site where I can buy older versions like Poser 3 or 4 or 5 etc ? Many thanks.

• Poser 3,4 and 5 are ancient. I don't think that they are widely available. I would not advise to use any Poser version older than P9.

• @bantha said in Where can I buy older Poser versions for sale ?:

Poser 3,4 and 5 are ancient. I don't think that they are widely available. I would not advise to use any Poser version older than P9.

That depends on if there are python scripts they are wanting to use. I still have 6 & 7 installed just for use of some scripts that won't work in later versions.

• That's assuming you can find a computer to run them. None of the new Macs can run anything that used to run on Mac Classic OS, for example. I've always had to keep old macs around that would run System 9 or earlier to run any versions of Poser older than P6.

• @eclark1849 : MACs don't count here because those aren't real computers :D

No, seroiusly:
    I'm using Windows, and I can run any Windows version down to (was that 3.1.? My first was Win95) on my hardware anytime.
    So for backwards reference, it surely would make sense to me to be able to run legacy versions of Poser, albeit just for a look into history...

My first Poser was PoserPro (a.k.a. 7Pro), and I can still fire it up if I want (though I use a VM to run any Windows versions "ante" WinXP today).

So the request of the OP would be of interest for me too.

K

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge:
    "Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708764/quotes?item=qt0349437

• My reason for asking is that I am not really into Poser but want to get into it, but I understand that some of the older versions have some cross compatibility which was given up in later versions. Also, they are simpler so might be better for some streamlined learning. There is an open source Windows operating system and they might run on that, otherwise even Wine on Linux.

There are two potential issues which I can see:-

1. Is it a case of installing a serial number and the user is good to go, or are there some re-installation gotchas. This comment on Amazon for Poser 5 caught my eye (surely he is mistaken ?).
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RIM9H7WICJACL/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00006IXA4
    2. Curiouslabs issued some free version service packs to cover instability of original releases, so there is a question mark over these being still available, or how serious the instability was.

• @omega-man said in Where can I buy older Poser versions for sale ?:

My reason for asking is that I am not really into Poser but want to get into it, but I understand that some of the older versions have some cross compatibility which was given up in later versions. Also, they are simpler so might be better for some streamlined learning. There is an open source Windows operating system and they might run on that, otherwise even Wine on Linux.

There are two potential issues which I can see:-

1. Is it a case of installing a serial number and the user is good to go, or are there some re-installation gotchas. This comment on Amazon for Poser 5 caught my eye (surely he is mistaken ?).
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RIM9H7WICJACL/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00006IXA4
    2. Curiouslabs issued some free version service packs to cover instability of original releases, so there is a question mark over these being still available, or how serious the instability was.

If you want to try out Poser, go with Poser Debut. It is inexpensive, and it will give you a taste of what can be done. It only works with legacy figures, but it will run and is supported by Smith Micro.

• @ssgbryan, many thanks that looks quite good. Do you off hand know if it has the walk or talk designer ?

• @ssgbryan, I can now see it has walk but not talk. Still, that looks good.

• I agree, Poser Debut is a great place to start, it is where I started my own Poser journey.

• @omega-man I wish all software companies would do what Adobe does when their software becomes extinct. As long as you have a valid serial number for an older version, you can re-download the software and use a new serial number that is the same for all owners thus bypassing any activation issues.

Some may remember when Adobe did this for the CS2 products and gave away the serial number and software to everyone. It ended up selling on other websites by people who never owned any Adobe software. Since then it was changed where the person has to enter a valid serial number to receive the non-activation versions.

• @whbos1 said in Where can I buy older Poser versions for sale ?:

Some may remember when Adobe did this for the CS2 products and gave away the serial number and software to everyone.

See now, I was always under the impression that was a HUUUUGE error on Adobe's part, because that page on their site wasn't supposed to be viewable by anyone who wasn't already an owner of the CS2 products, that it was just a way for them to backup copies of the software for future use, if necessary.

I never believed Adobe was that generous to give away a bundle of their top products, even if it was an older version.