fictional propaganda poster

• NOVA, a certain space organisation wants you badly to make the red planet green
    of course no harm done to our neighbour planet
    not all people see it this way

enjoy this poster spoof

alt text

• @eclark1849

somewhat along those lines
    yep

• @posebaker That reminds me of the Red Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson I read years ago. Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars are the names of the 3 books. I'm sure you can figure out the story line from the names of the books.

• @miss-b

the trilogy is catching dust for years
    Red Mars was so boring and trivial I didn't even bother to finish it
    I read Peter F. Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, and Cixin Liu at the mo
    and some short stories like Bridging Infinity, that sort of thing

• @posebaker I found Red Mars good, but the second half of Green Mars, and about the first third of Blue Mars a bit boring, but then it picked up again. Of the three, Red Mars was the only one I really liked, and if I hadn't, I wouldn't have bought the other two.

Of course, that was years ago, so have no idea what I'd think of it if I was first reading it now.

• @posebaker said in fictional propaganda poster:

I read Peter F. Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, and Cixin Liu at the mo
    and some short stories like Bridging Infinity, that sort of thing

I'll have to check into those. My fave Sci/Fi author is Isaac Asimov, but well, it's been over 2 decades since he passed, so had to find other authors in the genre to read.

• @posebaker
    I can add my voice to those who enjoyed KSR's Mars Trilogy, however I would tend to agree with Miss B about Green and Blue.

• @tastiger I bought books 2 and 3 after reading book 1, and was a bit disappointed. I thought it unfortunate, because the story line intrigued me. Greening Mars was not a new subject, so having a set of books about exactly that issue, seemed interesting to me.

• Jasper T. Scott - Dark Space
    is worth a read if you are into space battles

my favourite really is Peter F. Hamilton
    basically; the entire Commonwealth Universe
    it's so massive

I have the Abyss Beyond Dreams slide cover and signed
    still chasing Night Without Stars signed but boy that's so damn hard to get a copy and I have given up
    if you are lucky to get a copy put it into a safe :)

a look at my Sci-Fi corner - it got bigger now all shelfs are now occupied with good stuff and my wife wants me to get a bigger shelf and more books

0_1535928774207_SF corner.jpg

• @posebaker You know, for a minute I thought that was a very good 3D render. ~wink~

I'm making a note of some of these books and authors, but not sure when I'll get to reading them, but at least I'll have them on my list.

• @miss-b
    I'm a great "collector" and if there are sequels to books I will always get them :)
    There was actually a fourth book as well that was all short stories aptly named "The Martians"

• @tastiger Oh, now I don't think I've heard of that one. I'm not one for short stories normally, but if I had liked all 3 of the novels equally, I probably would've bought it anyway. If I like a writer's style, I'll buy just about everything s/he's every written.

Well, not in the case of Asimov, as he wrote hundreds of books in those huge Robot anthologies. I only read his novels.

• Asimov...
    I had a copy of the Foundation and I got bored. Years later in a bookstore I picked Nemesis and that was alright-ish
    can't stand his writing style for some reason, though many seem to like him

• Definitely agree with Peter F Hamilton, I've also recently finished the Culture novels by Iain M Banks, a bit like the curates egg but I enjoyed them on the whole. In some ways I miss physical books, having moved to Kindle years ago, but my excess baggage payments have definitely reduced!

• @posebaker Yes, everyone has their own favorites, and not every author's writing style will appeal to everyone. I remember years ago (many years ago) my sister-in-law had lent me a famous book, by a then very famous, and well thought of, author, and when I brought it back to her, she was astonished when I told her I found it boring.

The book --> The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

The author --> John le Carré

It took me almost a decade before I tried reading another spy/espionage novel, and then I became addicted to them. I probably own every one of Robert Ludlum's books, as well as those by Frederick Forsythe, and more recently Brad Thor. Now I love the genre, but back then I hadn't read any, and that book just didn't do it for me. At. All.

• @amethystpendant said in fictional propaganda poster:

In some ways I miss physical books, having moved to Kindle years ago, but my excess baggage payments have definitely reduced!

Me too. I switched over about 2 1/2 years ago, and recently finally got rid of all of the 300+ books I had lying around. Though I do like having all the extra space back.

• @miss-b
    Although I haven't fully switched to e-books, I moved about 18 months ago and I just haven't felt motivated enough to unpack my "library" so my bookcase sits bare. It seems it is always a case of "I must do that tomorrow" and perhaps sadly, there has been a plethora of excellent drama available on television, which means I haven't been reading as much as I used to.

• I really got engrossed in the Hamilton trilogy, whose name escapes me, but then was really disappointed the deus ex machina ending which seemed to make everything before it irrelevant. That was probably the last science fiction I've read, much more into fantasy. After wading through the 14 600+ page volumes of the wheel of time saga, started by Robert Jorden but finished by Brandon Sanderson after his death, I promised myself not to get hooked on another long series. Well that didn't last long, now waiting for the 4th book in Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. Trouble is you begin to realise that at the rate the books are being published you might die of old age before the series is completed.

• @tastiger said in fictional propaganda poster:

@miss-b
    . . . there has been a plethora of excellent drama available on television, which means I haven't been reading as much as I used to.

Oh do I know the name of THAT game all too well. ~smile~