Poser 11 macOS firewall annoyance

• might have been asked before, but I don't know how to stop Poser asking every time to allow connection to the Internet
    anyone knows how to get rid of this annoying pop-up every time you startup Poser?
    I don't know how many times I clicked yes to allow connecting
    I'm now really tired of this
    really

0_1536015377959_Poser11_macOS_firewall.jpg

• @shvrdavid

I did that before posting my question here
    nothing new and it doesn't fix the problem

but thanks

• Not sure then. There are more than a few mac users here, hopefully they will have an answer.

• @posebaker the posts in this link: how-to-get-rid-of-firewall-accept-incoming-connections-dialog are quite old, but the observation that an update to either the OS or the app can affect the recognition of the app as matching firewall rules seems relevant. You might try some of the suggestions.

I can't speak from experience here, as I use my router's firewall, rather than the macOS Sierra 10.12.6 one.

• @anomalaus
    I have the firewall turned off. Internet goes through the router.

• @posebaker Love that you got Andy to banner the error, he even looks depressed! ;o)

• I was executing as sudo and in the terminal is this to read
    I'm not expert enough to understand what's going on here but there seems to be a problem

"*" is my Mac name

*******:~ *****$ sudo /Applications/Poser\ 11/Poser.app/Contents/MacOS/Poser
    Password:
    Library exists
    finished dlopen
    -1096: NSL feature name not found
    <CFData 0x7fdff306cdb0 [0x7fffcd239da0]>{length = 6, capacity = 6, bytes = 0xa860b6287b03}

maybe someone can help

also, when installing Poser 11 (not Pro) it said the certificate had run out but I installed
    it was all done with that downloader from SmithMicro
    as it is official I had no worries installing it
    but perhaps the certificate there is the problem after all

???

• I also get this error on a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra, with Poser Pro 11, but it's been going on so long that I've gotten used to simply clicking "allow" or "deny" (depending on my mood) as part of the process of Poser starting up.

Nothing I tried w/ the Mac's Firewall settings made any difference. But have you ever looked at the error messages in the Console? There are so many different things popping up all the time that I'm kind of amazed that Poser runs at all on a Mac!

• @perpetualrevision

quote:" But have you ever looked at the error messages in the Console? There are so many different things popping up all the time that I'm kind of amazed that Poser runs at all on a Mac!"

only this one time
    I'm not familiar with this sort of thing to be honest

also what strikes me is that the certificates are invalid when installing stuff with the download manager

it's odd that Smith Micro isn't fixing this; surely they must be aware of the problem (quality control or something like that ?)

• @posebaker said in Poser 11 macOS firewall annoyance:

also what strikes me is that the certificates are invalid when installing stuff with the download manager

I haven't actually gotten that message about invalid certificates. I installed Poser Pro 11 on a new MacBook about a year ago and the 11.1 update a few weeks after it was released, and then I re-installed Poser Pro 11 about two months ago. All using the SM Download Manager, with no warnings about certificates.

I have gotten warnings about outdated certificates in the past, with other software, so I know what you're referring to. But if I trusted the developer, I went forward with the install, and as far as I know I've never had any problems as a result.

I'm not a programmer either, but I like being able to take an "inside look" at things just out of curiosity, so I often look at the Console, ActivityMonitor, and Keychain apps. I think it's the Keychain app that tracks certificate data?

• @perpetualrevision

I guess this is a macOS specific security red flag to avoid armageddon... or that Microsoft doesn't lay siege over our SSD drives; how else shall we cross over to Mojave (not that I desperately want to because macOS really sucks lately so that I downgraded back to Sierra and not getting comfy about the future of macOS - getting the feeling everything Apple died with Steve and Woz gone... easy to figure... Tim swirled too close around that self destruct button so many times he won't miss it the next occasion, if not already)

• Unfortunately, there is no way for us to stop it. An update from about a year ago was the cause, from what I can remember, despite making changes to Poser, they didn't update the certificate... so as a result, MacOS doesn't trust Poser.

• @cobra has this been reported to @smithmicro ?

• I'm running latest high sierra, but I have been using poser for years with previous OSs too. I have never had that problem that Andy is so nicely demonstrating. I don't use a firewall.
    Love esther