EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly

• Poser Ambassadors

@bopperthijs
    If you get it, and i am pretty sure you will, can you try it with a real high resolution sIBL like Bryant Park. We get some ghosting close to merge zone and that is where we are looking for a solution. I think it has to do with the perspective view (the ground plane going from close to far, projecting the ground plane differently from the skydome at the back. You can correct it with a combination of x-scale, z-scale and offset. But automating that would help the users.
    I can send you an example if you would like to see what I mean

• Poser Ambassadors

@bopperthijs said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

Can I help with betatesting?

Definitely!
    Drop me an email and I'll send a copy to you by return.

• Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas of what they would do if they could improve EZ Dome? I would add a moon lamp for rendering night scenes. Of course, the alternative to that would be to simply dim the sun lamp to moon light level. Anybody know how to do that?

• @eclark1849 Changing the sun light is easy enough - change it to bluish or yellowish then reduce the intensity to 20% or whatever. But are there any sIBL images of night scenes - I certainly don't recall them. If you are not using them as skydomes as well, it's easy enough to reduce the intensity of the images. Go into the outside dome, reduce the ambient value to whatever you want. I don't know if snarly ever fixed the issue with the gain setting knocking out the colour settings, but I always rewire the image channel directly to the ambient node rather than letting it go through all of those optional adjustment nodes. However, if the problem HAS been fixed, you could adjust the RGB values to add more blue to the night image. And I strongly suggest that if you're going to start with a daylight image and fake it, that you start with one with a blue or polarised sky.

• Does EZDome create it's own library to read HDRIs or can I point it to a folder where I keep my HDRIs I've downloaded? If it does create it's own library, how do I add ?HDRIs to that library? Can I load them manually or do i have to import them one at a time? Or maybe a batch import?

• Ooops, never mind. Found the answer in the User Guide.

• @eclark1849 I have a PDF User Guide I believe Snarly included with the EZDome download, which explains the steps you would need to do to get a HDRi set up for use with EZDome. I don't think there's a way to do it in batch mode. I believe each one is added as you use them.

Edited to Add: And that's what I get for not checking all the posts.

• Does EZDome work in Poser 2014? I had a scene set up using EZDome and it rendered quite nicely. Except for the background. It's all white. But the dome nd HDR image is there. You can see it in preview.
    0_1509234311524_NDIATWAS.png

• @eclark1849 there is a way to add the ones you find on-line. I haven't used EZdome for a while but I remember it was pretty easy.

• @ghostship Thanks. Already found the answer though.

• I'm testing something, in firefly :

i did put a starry night map on the outer sphere, and i did put a sky of dawn map on inner sphere.
    I added a mask of transparency (high transparency on blue sky, and none on zone around the sun and the sun) on inner sphere this way i see the stars throught the sky !

But, it seems that when i render my scene in IDL, i don't have a very good effect.
    I probably shouldn't do this this way, someone can confirm ?

Thx.

• @barnardino said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

night map on the outer sphere, and i did put a sky of dawn map on inner sphere

Hmmm... I'm probably not the best one to answer this, but I'll give it a try. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it doesn't have a very good effect. You might post an image. In the meantime make sure your gamma is set correctly. Your trans map should have a gamma of 1. If the Outer Dome is an hdr, its gamma should be 1 as well.

• @ElZagna said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

@barnardino said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

night map on the outer sphere, and i did put a sky of dawn map on inner sphere

Hmmm... I'm probably not the best one to answer this, but I'll give it a try. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it doesn't have a very good effect. You might post an image. In the meantime make sure your gamma is set correctly. Your trans map should have a gamma of 1. If the Outer Dome is an hdr, its gamma should be 1 as well.

In fact the Indirect lighting coming from the sky looks bad or even non-existing (ie not blue like the sky), at least i interpret it this way. It's look logical, but i'll go even further, i suspect transparency should be banned in IDL for this kind of use, because i suspect IDL doesn't reflect color from an object that as transparency (even low transparency). Am i correct ?

• Poser Ambassadors

Just a Tip

Outer sphere is for the Lighting. HDRI
    Inner sphere is for the Background.

If you want your render with a transparent background in Superfly,
    Set Visible in camera off on both domes.

• @Biscuits said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

Just a Tip

Outer sphere is for the Lighting. HDRI
    Inner sphere is for the Background.

If you want your render with a transparent background in Superfly,
    Set Visible in camera off on both domes.

i completely forgot the fact that Outer was for the lighting and not the reverse ...
    So i corrected it using 2 innerspheres as 2 background :
    'Innerest' one as a blue sky w/ sun lying on the horizon and transparency mask (ie more i go opposite to the sun more the mask is transparent). This is letting appear the second innersphere with a starry night map.
    Now outersphere is my HDR sky map (my blue sky on my first inner sphere).

Ty !

• Poser Ambassadors

HDR full spherical panoramas, if anybody wants to experiment.

bad weather 71.8MB

Baie Mahault sunset HDR 94.9MB

Island Sunset HDR 67.4MB

• @seachnasaigh Just so you know Seach, the 2nd and 3rd links are opposite to what the text says. IOW, the second link is to Island Sunset, and the 3rd link is to Baie Manhault Sunset.

Doesn't matter to me, as I d/led all 3, but someone who only wants one or the other of the 2nd and 3rd, might not realize they're not getting the one they think they're getting.

• @seachnasaigh Thank you very much.

• The Instruction book mentions adding a goundplane as a Shadowcatcher, but doesn't detail how to make it blend into the environment. I know someone made a post about it somewhere, so could someone point me to it.
    0_1517516514426_frisbee.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 You can use a transparent groundplane for Firefly renders ... that will work as a shadowcatcher. Unfortunately cycles doesn't have that feature yet, but it is in the works. On the other hand ... I believe farther up in the thread I have a work around, (it's a little lame ... but it works) let me know if you don't find it. Basically it uses a glass texture on a clear plane and if the sun is bright enough it shows up.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.