EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly

• @matb Yeppers. It was the D3D mats I saw. They are installed on the Win7 machine and not into my copy of Poser on the Win10 system I am normally logged into. Sorry to have caused a misunderstanding. I hadn't needed them yet as I have been using the cloth room to snow cover ground and objects. I normally do environment renders in Vue if the quick and dirty cloth room method won't suffice, and I paint dust layers and such using discriminator maps in RGB channels

• @ghostship So you're saying that a formula can't be shared? I would say that this is a grey area at best.

• @James_in_3D said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

@Ladonna I have this materials package by Dimension3D. The nodes are exactly the same as in the commercial product -- I just checked. It shouldn't have been shared with us, that's all.

Maybe @shvrdavid or @Teyon or @Poser-Moderators could take it down.

I no longer have that power. Maybe a site admin or moderator can.

• @matb before we even get into the legality of it all let me ask you this: Someone puts some time and effort into making something (software)for the purpose of making some pocket change or even to put food on their table. Then someone comes along and posts up said work so anyone can copy it for free. Is that morally right?

What I did and what you did are two different things. I posted a link to a tutorial on how to make a similar shader and you posted up someone's work that they expect to get paid for.

I also have posted up shaders at share cg that I have made but I made them for free for everyone. so if you were to post up pictures of my shader nodes I would not care. See the difference? BTW I'm not trying to be a d***.

• This post is deleted!

• @Teyon said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly

I no longer have that power. Maybe a site admin or moderator can.

Sorry Teyon, didn't know. Apologies!

• Ok, lets stop now. Let it go and lets just get back to talking about topics please.

Thanks you

• @ghostship So where does this end ghost? I create a commercial material that consists of a few basic nodes in well used configurations, so now nobody can share that information because I was the first to do it commercially? How few nodes would you still respect? As far as I'm concerned, the fact that this person was the first to sell a product using the nodes in a particular way BUT ADDING NO UNIQUE CONTENT TO IT does not give him/her legal or moral ownership over it. I appreciate that you could make a case that nodes were like music notes, or letters of the alphabet, and it's the configuration of these nodes that counts, but by that token, all I had to do was change the actual value in half a dozen of the nodes and nobody here would have had an ethical leg to stand on AND legally, it would have counted as a transformative work.

• Poser Ambassadors

Why are we talking about the Snow Machine and snow shaders anyway? Some people seem to derail threads for a pasttime ...

• @Snarlygribbly Well, I didn't derail it on purpose. I just asked a simple question about one of your products in a thread where I knew you would most likely see it.

• @eclark1849

Poser 11: Layers and Render Queues. Check this youtube video by Renderosity.

• @Snarlygribbly Having GPU rendering issues with shader setup in EZDome. See this thread:

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/1070/what-is-missing-in-gpu-renders?page=1

• just so it's hear: The materials interact strangely with GPU rendering. When I remove everything but the image plugged into amb the GPU render looks like the CPU render.

0_1482983777711_Render CPU v GPU.jpg

• Gain node seems to be broken or work very different in GPU (at least in this particular combination). Without Gain = HSV output to Ambient input
    0_1483001356794_ezdome test 2.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Guys, I'm following this thread and (and the other related one) with interest.
    My difficulty is that I have no access to GPU rendering on my antiquated system - I can only test CPU rendering.
    I work on the basis that GPU rendering should be similar, if not identical, to CPU results unless Poser gives a warning message in the log.
    So, this sounds to me like a bug in Poser that needs fixing.
    However, if there is a change to the shader that you can recommend which will work for both Firefly and Superfly and solve this problem then I'll happily make some experimental versions of EZDome incorporating it so that you can test it for me with your fancy GPUs :)

• @Snarlygribbly I think it's a bug and needs to be reported to the Poser team but I will look into it a little further.

• I would be curious to know if these differences are also present in Cycles with CPU versus GPU.

I am not saying that they do, but if they do it may be a larger issue.

• As far as I know, Cycles does not have Gain Node/mode of Math/Blend node. So the question is in what nodetree SF compile problematic nodetree. Like now we can't check - no information what to check. When I assign "cosher" SF/Cycles shaders to EzDome all is right. (Outer emission for all rays except Camera, holdout for camera, inverse for Inner.)

• I looked into this again today after about a month of just using @bagginsbill Envirosphere for simplicity. It seems that one or more of the nodes used in the materials for EZDome is not recognizing the extra data from HDR images. The result is flat color all around just as if I used a JPG image plugged into the outer dome instead of an HDR. I checked this by plugging in the jpg versions that came with the hdr sets. Results were the same (rendered with GPU.) To be clear, this only happens when rendering with GPU and folks that only have CPU rendering capabilities should not worry.

To get around this limitation I plug the HDR image directly into the ambient on the Poser root and the image renders out just fine with more contrast because of the HDR image.

• @ghostship said in EZDome - a new Skydome/Environment Sphere from SnarlyGribbly:

I looked into this again today after about a month of just using @bagginsbill Envirosphere for simplicity. It seems that one or more of the nodes used in the materials for EZDome is not recognizing the extra data from HDR images. The result is flat color all around just as if I used a JPG image plugged into the outer dome instead of an HDR. I checked this by plugging in the jpg versions that came with the hdr sets. Results were the same (rendered with GPU.) To be clear, this only happens when rendering with GPU and folks that only have CPU rendering capabilities should not worry.

To get around this limitation I plug the HDR image directly into the ambient on the Poser root and the image renders out just fine with more contrast because of the HDR image.

I've just started using EZdome, but is this the reason why I have to bump up my indoor lighting values and pixel samples to double what it was before I added the dome? I haven't tried using the cpu for SF rendering in a long time because my is horrible at it, but I could give it a try I guess and see what happens.