Poser 11 ... rendering CPU or GPU based? also - hardware for Poser optimization

• Hello ... again, its great to see an "official" Poser forum.

My first question .... Is Poser 11 GPU or CPU based? firefly and superfly.

Then, what would be considered a base computer to allow Firefly and superfly rendering without bogging down for hours upon hours?
    My current system, an AMD Athlon II X4 650 3.2Ghz with 8Gig ram and an onboard graphics ATI Radeon 4200 chip, actually isn't too bad ... but hair slows it down to a crawl. I've just started experimenting with Superfly rendering.

I also just ordered a Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop (Windows 7 Professional, Intel Quad Core i7-4790 up to 4.0GHz 8MB Cache, 16GB DDR3 RAM. The price was at where i needed to be...obviously there are faster, faster ram, etc ... and this has what appears to be a somewhat slow graphics chip ... Intel 4600 onboard graphics. This is a couple year old technology, but over the years, I've found pricing to be more inline with my pocketbook if I wait. I've noted through many reviews though, that this system is not a speedster by any means ... hopefully this will better serve my needs however.

• Poser Ambassadors

I think only P11Pro offers GPU rendering. You'd want a video card with lots of CUDA cores and lots of onboard memory.

For "regular" CPU rendering, my advice is to buy used enterprise gear. You'll want a workstation with two processors, as many cores as possible, as high a clock speed as possible. You'll want a motherboard with a main chip which can read lots of memory, and plenty of slots for memory sticks. That describes an enterprise-grade workstation.

Currently, the maximum bang for your buck is to get a workstation with dual H/T hex core Westmere series Xeons. These will be X5650, X5660, X5670, X5680, and X5690.
    A pair of these will give you 24 render threads.

Look on eBay for "2x X5660" for example. Getting one which already has plenty of RAM is a plus. Figure on buying new hard drives, and you'll probably need a Windows license. I recommend getting an OEM pack. Make sure it has the certificate of authenticity holographic sticker. No "used" licenses; it has to be an unused serial number. An OEM (aka "system builder") license is much cheaper than a retail Windows license.
    Occasionally, you'll see a used workstation which comes with a 64bit Win7Pro license.

Figure on buying your own GPU if you plan to do GPU rendering; most commercial workstations will have Quadros, which are not much good for GPU rendering.

• @seachnasaigh

thanks .. i will look around.

• You have somewhat inadvertently answered a question of mine seachnasaigh, though I would still appreciate any comments you might have in regards to my specific situation.

I posted the following over at CGBytes:

http://www.cgbytes.com/community/forums.aspx?g=posts&t=115290#post125732

• Is there any such thing as a computer with a separate dedicated rendering graphics chip? I don't know if that's a properly phrased question or not.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 11 ... rendering CPU or GPU based? also - hardware for Poser optimization:

Is there any such thing as a computer with a separate dedicated rendering graphics chip? I don't know if that's a properly phrased question or not.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-workstations.html

Financially speaking, you'd probably be better off to buy additional gaming boards though.

• Sort of? GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit, so it is a chip dedicated to and optimized for processing graphical content. Most modern graphics cards use them, and I imagine that some "modular servers" have similar modules available that are dedicated to graphics.

The NVidia Tesla cards are similar to this as well.

I don't think I've seen a computer built with an actual, separate graphics co-processor for a while as it's not really necessary these days. In essence the graphics card does that job now. Or maybe the better way to say it is that most of that functionality has been moved from a separate chip on the mother board to actually being part of the CPU itself, as most modern Intel CPUs include graphics subsystems.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you computer has a free PCIe slot you can add a GTX card to it and just use it to render.
    Just keep in mind that you can not mix quadro and gtx cards

• Poser Ambassadors

@mr_phoenyxx For what it would cost to outfit two core i7-4790K boxes, you could get two refurb workstations, each equipped with dual H/T hex Xeons. The most expensive top-of-the-line i7 could outrun a Westmere Xeon, but it can't outrun two Xeons.
    And the Xeons are heavier duty than the i7 series. And you can't run two i7 processors together - they lack the parallel pathways.

Two Westmere Xeons give you 24 render threads, and surplus enterprise gear is cheap; only eggheads buy that stuff. Yes, they are "obsolete". And a pair of them will kick an i7 to the curb, and do so for less money.

• X5650: 12 threads @ 2.66GHz (3.06GHz turbo)

• X5660: 12 threads @ 2.80GHz (3.2GHz turbo)

• X5670: 12 threads @ 2.93GHz (3.33GHz turbo)

• X5680: 12 threads @ 3.33GHz (3.6GHz turbo)

• X5690: 12 threads @ 3.46GHz (3.73GHz turbo)

I'd like to have a pair of the new E5 series Xeons, but that new stuff costs money that I just don't have.

• @seachnasaigh said in Poser 11 ... rendering CPU or GPU based? also - hardware for Poser optimization:

@mr_phoenyxx For what it would cost to outfit two core i7-4790K boxes, you could get two refurb workstations, each equipped with dual H/T hex Xeons. The most expensive top-of-the-line i7 could outrun a Westmere Xeon, but it can't outrun two Xeons.
    And the Xeons are heavier duty than the i7 series. And you can't run two i7 processors together - they lack the parallel pathways.

Two Westmere Xeons give you 24 render threads, and surplus enterprise gear is cheap; only eggheads buy that stuff. Yes, they are "obsolete". And a pair of them will kick an i7 to the curb, and do so for less money.

• X5650: 12 threads @ 2.66GHz (3.06GHz turbo)

• X5660: 12 threads @ 2.80GHz (3.2GHz turbo)

• X5670: 12 threads @ 2.93GHz (3.33GHz turbo)

• X5680: 12 threads @ 3.33GHz (3.6GHz turbo)

• X5690: 12 threads @ 3.46GHz (3.73GHz turbo)

I'd like to have a pair of the new E5 series Xeons, but that new stuff costs money that I just don't have.

Thank you! That was my thought as well, but I was having zero luck trying to research it and find comparisons of the two that were specific to rendering. You can find benchmarks of various Xeons vs an i7, but naturally the i7 kicks the Xeon's butt in a one on one single CPU matchup. It was proving extremely difficult to find a rendering comparison of multiple Xeon's vs one i7.

I wouldn't mind an E5-2699 v3, but I don't have 5 grand lying around. Lol!

• Poser Ambassadors

@mr_phoenyxx There's a thread at RDNA in which someone who considered getting another i7-4790K machine instead bought a refurb with dual X5650 Xeons. He ran a Lux render using both his existing i7-4790K box and his "new" refurb with dual X5650 Xeons - results:

• i7-4790K: 35 Ks/s

• dual X5650: 50 Ks/s

Quoting Joebus37: "...saved me 1k and got me 40% more render speed!!!!"

• they're only $5k ? i'm off to buy a couple of them myself. I think via the fact I just purchased an i7 4790, I'm stuck for awhile with that, but will keep looking for those Xeons mentioned and give it a go when possible.

Thank you! That was my thought as well, but I was having zero luck trying to research it and find comparisons of the two that were specific to rendering. You can find benchmarks of various Xeons vs an i7, but naturally the i7 kicks the Xeon's butt in a one on one single CPU matchup. It was proving extremely difficult to find a rendering comparison of multiple Xeon's vs one i7.

I wouldn't mind an E5-2699 v3, but I don't have 5 grand lying around. Lol!

• @seachnasaigh said in Poser 11 ... rendering CPU or GPU based? also - hardware for Poser optimization:

@mr_phoenyxx There's a thread at RDNA in which someone who considered getting another i7-4790K machine instead bought a refurb with dual X5650 Xeons. He ran a Lux render using both his existing i7-4790K box and his "new" refurb with dual X5650 Xeons - results:

• i7-4790K: 35 Ks/s

• dual X5650: 50 Ks/s

Quoting Joebus37: "...saved me 1k and got me 40% more render speed!!!!"

Oh! Shinies!! <goes off to read the thread>

• @eclark1849
    Yes there is - the iCan by Apple has a dedicated GPU for rendering - of course, it is a 4 year old AMD 7000 series, and cannot be user replaced, so unless your computing workflow is built around openCL, it is pretty much worthless.