Material Room: Trouble with Layers

• I'm wondering if there is a way to add a Material from your library to a specific layer in the Material Room?

So I recently picked up a set of Watercolor shaders for Poser originally made for Poser 10. They are set up as a series of .mt5 files, and they way they are intended to be used is that they have a Color Map node set up where you can add the image map of your item after you've added the shader.

All well and good, but I have Poser Pro 11, and I thought I'd play around with some stuff. I've never really used layers in the Material Room, and I thought this might be a time to play with them not being sure what the result would be. So I took and item that had a very simple material by default, when into the Advanced Tab of the Material Room, clicked the plus button to create a new layer, and then chose the material I wanted from the library and applied it.

But my new layer went away, as did the original material, and I ended up with just the new Material on a base layer all by itself. I tried doing things in various orders, and tried lots of different materials, but it seems like there's no way to add a Material to just a specific layer. Is this really the case? Do I always have to build a second layer from scratch?

I found a sort of work around, in that if I applied the material I wanted on Layer 1 first. Selected All, copied it. Reapplied the material I wanted on the base. Then created the new layer and pasted the material I wanted on that layer. But that's a lot of work, and not always easy. (In one case I was trying this with a simple prop. The creator of the prop had not bothered to create any material files for it, because it just had the one texture, so I had to save it out, so I'd be able to easily reapply it from the library).

Any thoughts? The Poser manual seems very vague on Layers (or I just never found the right section on them) since it just seems to say you create them by clicking the plus button.

Also am I right in thinking that they are Superfly only? It's fine if they are I just haven't seen any documentation on this, and they didn't seem to do anything until I switched to Superfly.

• one thing to keep i mind with layers is that they need some sort of transparency or you wont see the layers underneath. The layers don't mix. here are a couple of examples of layered materials: car paint with a metallic base layer and a glossy clear coat layer (transparent) and a camouflage material with the 3 colors on separate layers using the musgrave texture on each layer to cut holes so you can see layers underneath.

0_1476892249539_Car paint red.jpg
    0_1476892269325_Camo Cloth.jpg

• @ghostship Glad you posted the Camo shader setup Ghostship, as I've been playing with it, with different color setups, and it's working out quite nicely.

That said, however, GG's question is a good one in that, how do you decide where, size and shape of the transparency should be, or is that where masks could come in handy? I'm thinking second skins, if that helps you visualize what I'm thinking about.

• @Miss-B with a procedural shader like my camo you have to experiment what is the best scale for your model. Here I have the camo on the Poser tank. I scled up the musgrave textures, took off the weave bump and made it slightly less rough.

@gadgetgirl I have not found a better way to apply multi-layer shaders to layers than you have. I load up a primative as a holding place and copy/paste to the layers I need it to go.

0_1476897357224_tank.jpg

• Interesting. I'm definitely going to have to play more.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hopefully we can apply shaders and mats to specific layers soon ... in the meantime. Another work around could be a "null" figure, say a ball. You bring that into your scene apply the shader you want on your layer to the ball, copy, then paste it to the layer of the object you originally intended it for. the ball can be made invisible during renders. Just a thought.

• Yes, hopefully they will add a prompt as to which layer you want the material applied to - same as it asks you which body part you want to apply it to if you aren't in the material room when you apply a material shader.

• @Boni Good point Boni. Thanks.

• @ghostship Thanks for that clarification on layers. The materials I'm currently working with do have some transparency built in, although I would probably have to adjust/add more because of how they were created.

@Boni said in Material Room: Trouble with Layers:

Hopefully we can apply shaders and mats to specific layers soon ... in the meantime. Another work around could be a "null" figure, say a ball. You bring that into your scene apply the shader you want on your layer to the ball, copy, then paste it to the layer of the object you originally intended it for. the ball can be made invisible during renders. Just a thought.

Oh, that's a good idea too. It also has the benefit that I can see what the material looks like un-layered to help me see how much the underneath layer is showing effecting the top layer.

Too bad there isn't a better way at the moment.