test scene for Superfly speed.

• Anybody got a standard scene file for testing the Superfly render speed on your machine? I'd like to be able to compare speeds to help me make a choice for a future hardware purchase.

• @ghostship

I'm in middle of creating or porting one scene from 3DS MAX to Poser and this scene or benchmark can be used as test scene/benchmark
    Hopefully company who owns the props and rights will let me know soon and I will post this scene/benchmark and we can test our HW

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 Should it not use only standard figures and props that come with Poser?

• @ghostship

Hi there

All depends what are you render mostly,I render mostly interiors and V4 or few V4/M4 there,but that's me

Usually simple portrait scenes are very fast there,on single Titan X render takes in 50 samples at size 1920x1200 around 30-45mins,now with two cards(Titan X and GTX 1080) I didn't tested my older scenes,but newer scenes which I do are slightly faster,but no two time faster as many would think so,I think is down to to the GPU kernel of Poser 11

Interior scene usually takes up to 1-2 hours,depends on complexity there,but usually with fairly complex scene I'm able render up to 80 samples in 2 hours on single Titan X

As you know,what takes VRAM in rendering are maps and assets(props etc),my reworked scene shouldn't take more than 1.2GB from GPU and should be possible test that on lower GPU with only 2GB

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 that is screaming fast compared to my system. I did a render the other day with two V4's and the back drop prop 1600x2400 and that was 10 or 11 hours. i5 2400 16gb no GPU.

• @ghostship

Render times really depends on HW used as always,you wold benefit from i7-2600k on yours if you could install this chip or upgrade to Xeon chip which will give more cores/threads if you do renders more with CPU than GPU

Some renderers really are faster with Xeon or OC CPU,have look right now I'm running i7-5820k which is OC to 4.5GHz and temps when I render are in 60's on PKG,previous E5-2683 v3 although has been only 2.3GHz CPU,sample scene in 3DS MAX render took on E5-2683v3 around 15 minutes,i7-5820k same scene took to render around 28-32 minutes there

But if renderer have GPU support,then GPU is way to go,have look on used GPU over on Gumtree or Craigslist or eBay there,bought several used GPU and they always performed very well there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• I think a test scene should use just P11 content, as that way it is a simple to repeat test for anybody with P11.
    I did this simple scene as an example using the updated The Pad2016 scene and Pauline Casual. There is just 1 point light active for the bulb in the lamp. The glass on the tables and back doors has been changed to simple glass from the included Superfly Basics materials.
    Depth of field is on, with Pauline's right eye as the focal point, as are caustics, both reflective and refractive.
    0_1477251961007_superfly_test_scene.jpg

This rendered in 21minutes and 12 seconds at 1200x900 using my 980ti card with the render settings below.
    0_1477252074208_render_settings.jpg

I could upload it somewhere if this will suffice as a general scene, or at least as a starter scene.

• @raven Yes, that is what I was thinking. Standard figures and props from P11 and utilizing new materials etc.

• @raven file will need to be on drop box or something for people to download.

• I've uploaded the file to ShareCG.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86389/view/11/Poser/Superfly-render-test-scene

Hopefully it works.

• @raven thank you. downloading now.

• 31 minutes 33 seconds on a GTX 970, with other stuff running.

• I killed the render after almost 3 hours and a little bit more than halfway done. Need a GPU bad.

• Best time on GTX1080 alone is 18 minutes with 512 bucket size and with 1024 Bucket size time went down to 17 minutes
    With GTX 1080 and Titan X with 512 bucket size 10 minutes,with 1024 bucket size time is 14 minutes

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 said in test scene for Superfly speed.:

With GTX 1080 and Titan X with 512 bucket size 10 minutes

I didn't think Poser would split a render between 2 cards. I also didn't think t recognised SLI or Crossfire. So how are you combining a Titan X and a GTX 1080?

Also, a 1080 is only 3 minutes quicker than a 980? Not sure it's worth the price tag.

• @piersyf

Hi there

Yes Poser or any CUDA renderer can render same image or split image/kernels between two cards,simply with one GPU yours Rendering memory is at 1165MB and with two GPU is 2481MB or when you look during the render in GPU-Z memory used with Titan X is 2730MB and with GTX1080 is 3160MB.If you render with two NVIDIA cards same or different please turn off SLI

Yes agree GTX1080 is around 3 minutes faster than GTX980Ti,but this can be simply by,because SF is not optimized for "Pascal" yet as Octane too is not yet optimized as CUDA 8 has been available for about 1-2 weeks

I would expect with better optimization SF/Cycles times will be better,but how much hard to say right now,GTX1080 is in games around same or faster a bit than 980Ti at stock speeds,with OC of the Ti you will bridge the gap,but OC of the 1080 you will gain a bit more still,in rendering performance depends on SW and optimization there,but 3 minutes faster than 980Ti is around what I expected,maybe I expected around 5 minutes faster render,with some tweaking and OC I think I can do that

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @ghostship said in test scene for Superfly speed.:

I killed the render after almost 3 hours and a little bit more than halfway done. Need a GPU bad.

Guess I won't even bother downloading it then. I don't have a separate GPU, and I certainly miss the nVidia card I had on my old Dell.

• @ghostship
    @Miss-B

For CPU only renders I would tweak the settings for CPU as this bucket size will kill any CPU,I would suggest around 16 bucket size and please try with Branched Path Tracing,this should help you with bit faster renders and try like with Progressive or without,I find sometimes Progressive rendering on CPU can put not necessary stress on CPU which can be used for rendering

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11
    OK... now you're confusing me.
    I have a GTX 970. At idle (desktop and Poser open but not rendering) the GPU uses 574Mb memory.
    Rendering a largish scene, GPU-Z says the usage is 2,649Mb
    Poser log says I used 1,371Mb.

What do you anticipate this would look like running 2 GTX 970's (not SLI)? That might help me understand this a little better.

• BTW, I decided to push it a bit; I have the same scene but with 7 gen 4 characters in view (M4 and V4). Poser says it uses 5,664Mb of memory, so I've been using CPU and branched path because the GTX970 is nominally 4Gb... so I wanted to watch it fall over on memory usage on GPU-Z, but it didn't. Memory usage peaked at 3,403Mb with a bucket size of 64. So I tried a bucket size of 128, and memory usgae snuck up to 3,448...
    essentially, I'd like to be able to estimate whether I can use GPU and not have it fail, as well as understand the plusses and minuses of running 2 cards...