Poser shenanigans: parenting and changing sensitivity

• Hi there, folks.

two questions:

1. is there a way to change the sensitivity of a figure's entire parameters at once, or do I have to change each and every one that I need to change manually?

2. a riddle I still didn't figured out the answer to, after years of using poser: why do sometimes when I parent a figure to another figure, the parented figure "vanish" (changing place in space dramatically), while on other occasions it stay right where it was before I parented it to the second figure (as It should and As I want it to). sometimes it drives me nutz...(I'm referring to scaled down figure parented to standard sized figures).

kind regards and thanks :)

• Okay, the second question about parenting: it happens when I don't save keyframes for the to-be-parented figure first. if I set keyframes and then parent - it works as I want it to be :-).

• Poser Ambassadors

A Python script can change sensitivities. How are your Python skills?

As an example, to find the current actor and change all its parameter sensitivities to half what they are now:

for p in poser.Scene().CurrentActor().Parameters(): p.SetSensitivity(p.Sensitivity() * .5)

You could save that as a script, and another with * 2 instead of * .5. This would double the sensitivity.

Then you could also make a reset script that sets sensitivity to 1.

etc. etc.

• @gsfcreator Netherworks Creator's Toybox allows you to set all sensitivities with one stroke.

It's available at Hivewire and works with Poser 11.

• The other, presumably sensitivity, issue which catches me occasionally, is when the current camera (usually a Poser orbiting camera, but not always) commences moving normally (most often with the vertical or horizontal zoom controls), then goes inexplicably hyperbolic, adding hundreds or thousands to some or all of it's control dials. Something in Poser seems to glitch, and only a restart will fix it.

• @bagginsbill thanks! my paython skills are at zero level, at the moment, though :|.

@Glitterati3D thank you, I'll certainly check it out!

@anomalaus happens to me all the time!

• @gsfcreator said in Poser shenanigans: parenting and changing sensitivity:

1. a riddle I still didn't figured out the answer to, after years of using poser: why do sometimes when I parent a figure to another figure, the parented figure "vanish" (changing place in space dramatically), while on other occasions it stay right where it was before I parented it to the second figure (as It should and As I want it to). sometimes it drives me nutz...(I'm referring to scaled down figure parented to standard sized figures).

I think this happens b/c the "child" figure inherits the translation/scale/rotation values of the "parent" and those values are added on top of the values already dialed in on the "child" figure. So if the "child" is rotated one way and the parent a different way, you can end up with some funky poses!

I've gotten myself in quite a mess trying to parent figures for the sake of convenience, so here's what I do now. I do all of this on Frame 1, with every figure and prop in its 0 position, and then I move to Frame 2 to start posing or moving things around:

(1) Create a new "Grouping" object (from the Object menu) and give it a helpful name
    (2) Parent all relevant figures and/or props to that Grouping object
    (3) Use the Grouping object's parameters only to make the whole group visible/invisible with one click -OR- only to move all items at once to a new location.

If you use the Grouping object to change anything (translation, rotation, scale) and then save one of the grouped items to the Library, be aware that it might not save with the values you were expecting b/c of the way the parent object's values influence the child's.

I do NOT use this method to parent props like jewelry or accessories to figures, but those don't typically cause the kind of "where did my parented figure go?" problems you're describing!

• @perpetualrevision the other, major caveat to be aware of when using grouping objects as constraints (rather than just parenting), is that they impose their own scales on their constrained client objects. If one has a figure scaled to less that 100% (my V4 figures are commonly 94%), upon constraint, the figure's scale gets forced (and locked) to 100%. The only way around this that I have found is to use an intervening grouping object, to which the figure is parented, and apply the constraint to the parent grouping object, instead of the figure directly, to break the scale propagation chain.

• @anomalaus said in Poser shenanigans: parenting and changing sensitivity:

the other, major caveat to be aware of when using grouping objects as constraints (rather than just parenting), is that they impose their own scales on their constrained client objects. If one has a figure scaled to less that 100% (my V4 figures are commonly 94%), upon constraint, the figure's scale gets forced (and locked) to 100%.

Do you mean when you put a figure into a Grouping Object? I don't usually do that so I haven't noticed that issue WRT figures. But I have noticed that something sort of similar sometimes happens with props. Actually, I think it happens when I've used the Grouping Object to change all the grouped items' scale values and then I remove one of those items from the group. The item's overall Scale value is set to 100%, but the x, y and z values are smaller or larger, depending on what the item inherited from the Grouping Object.

When you have the issue of a figure's scale changing to 100%, I assume you mean that the x, y, and z values did not go down to 94% AND that the figure actually grew larger relative to the scene? If the figure actually stays the desired scaled-down size, even though the overall scale value changed to 100%, then that may not be much of a problem, unless it messes up how you save figures or poses or something.