Load Character Morphs

• Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with this and, if anything, I'm even more confused after reading the manual and watching some videos. Any help would be very much appreciated.

What I want to do (and is it possible?)

1)Take a Poser character
    2)Export the .obj
    3)Open .obj in, for example, Sculptris.
    4)Use the Sculptris tools to create a facial morph
    5)Save as an .obj
    6)Import the Morph to Poser
    7)Use the Morph on the character, thus changing the face.

When I do all of this, it doesn't effect the character. i.e. the morph dial does not change the character.

Might this be about the export settings from Poser?

I must be doing something wrong. I've read that you need to load Full Body Morphs one target (?) at a time. But I can only load the Morph into the 'Body' section of the character. If the morph i've used has been concentrated on, for example, the 'Head', but it only loads into the 'Body', could that be the issue.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

• update

I've just managed to do 'Load Morph Target' and that does indeed place the Morph dial in the relevant part, however, the Morph doesn't replicate what was done in Sculptris, it just creates a real broken mess - as if the face has been staved in by a hammer or something.

Perhaps this is a settings issue. Or do I need to load all of the stuff from the neck up when doing them morph (when exporting)

• Poser Ambassadors

If I remember correctly when it comes to Sculptris you need to have the Detail dial down on zero when sculpting or you'll get new divided polygons so the morph doesn't match up with the poser figure.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's how I understand it - to make a morph that works the app used to make the morph must not change the geometry of the obj file either when morphing it or when saving it. The reason is that Poser will look at the positions of each vertex of the original mesh & compare it with a morphed version to see where those vertices have moved to. If there is even one new vertex in the morphed version, or the morphed version has been saved with the vertices in a different order to the original obj, the morph will fail because Poser cannot interpret it.

Sculptris is a great app, but it creates new triangulated geometry as you work. It may be that it automatically triangulates any imported obj too. So it's changing the obj file radically & I don't think it would be possible to use it to make morphs.

Cross post - hopefully @Ghostman is right, try that!

• @caisson @Ghostman

Thanks.

Ok, so maybe that program is not a great fit for what I want to do.

Is there anything else you'd recommend for the task?

• Poser Ambassadors

Please take a look at this :

This is for Blender but shows what can, or what can not be done.

Best regards, Tony

• @papercut Blender is the cheapest, as it is free.

I've used a trial version of ZBrush before and it worked fairly well. As a trial version though, it expired after 30 days and could not be used as a long term solution.

I've also used BlackSmith 3D, which is reasonably priced. The instructions for Blacksmith 3D though make you export every body part as a separate file, and then import each of those files into poser individually. So if you are doing a morph that affects multiple body parts then it can get a little tiring clicking on each body part and importing each separate file. Making the morph itself though, and exporting it, was quite easy and painless.

Another cost effective solution is the new ZBrush Core, which is also reasonably priced.

• @mr_phoenyxx @vilters

That video is PERFECT. Thank you.

I did download Blender previously, but I found the whole thing a bit intimidating, but I should just get over it and learn.

Thanks for the suggestions of other programs. Yeah, ZBrush looks good, but it's a bit pricey. I'll look into the other cheaper options, but I think Blender might do what I need to do. It's just to change existing characters to how I would like, because I've tried to import .obj's from Sculptris and doing the bones & grouping the polygons and all that business was taking me a long time and, frankly, looked terrible.

Appreciate your help :)

• Poser Ambassadors

Blender is HUGE and overwhelming in the beginning.
    But you only need a small part of it to work on Poser figures, and there are LOTS of good tutorials on YouTube.

The Poser2Blender2Poser series has 6 video's right now, and more are coming.
    Glad to be of help.

• @vilters said in Load Character Morphs:

But you only need a small part of it to work on Poser figures, and there are LOTS of good tutorials on YouTube.

Glad to be of help.

^-- This. I recently purchased ZBrush Core, which is reasonably priced, only to realize I might as well just learn Blender if I'm going to use anything. :P

• I use Shade 3D which is co-marketed by Smith Micro Graphics. It specifically has dimensions for Poser during import and export.

• @mr_phoenyxx said in Load Character Morphs:

@vilters said in Load Character Morphs:

Glad to be of help.

^-- This. I recently purchased ZBrush Core, which is reasonably priced, only to realize I might as well just learn Blender if I'm going to use anything. :P

Just popping in to say that when it comes to sculpting, Zbrush is way more powerful everyday and twice on Sunday compared to blender. However, if you're already familiar with Blender's interface then the learning curve would be less steep for you in Blender than in Zbrush. If not, and you only need to sculpt, you'll regret not going with Zbrush or mudbox or heck...even 3dcoat.

• @Teyon I played around with ZBrush (full version) on a free trial once. I have never learned Blender at all, though I've watched quite a few of the beginner/newbie tutorials.

Why do you say ZBrush is more powerful for sculpting? More tools/brushes?

In general, Blender appears to be a more powerful software package?

• As a general modeling and animation tool, Blender is great if you can overcome the interface hurdle - an issue with approaching any software. However, its focus isn't sculpting. Sculpting is an extra feature and when compared to a tool more dedicated to sculpting (like ZBrush, Mudbox and 3DCoat), you'll find that there are tools, features and workflows that ZBrush has or does that would not be practical/possible in Blender. I'm all about using the right tool for the job. If you're looking for a modeler and appreciate that it has some sculpting features that will make morphing a little easier, Blender is totally capable. If you're looking for a sculpting tool that will allow you to sculpt morphs or take a figure and completely turn it into something else entirely, you'll be better off with a more dedicated tool. At least right now.

So choose what works for your needs but understand the pros and cons of the choice you're making.

• @Teyon Thanks! I will probably follow your path, but I more or less dislike changing tools. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I don't like having to work in a bunch of different software packages to accomplish my goal. That is probably also naive, as I am sure that you are correct - the right tool for the job.