I'm having a problem with the textures

• Thank you ghostship, but I have done that, and a lot more, and I still haven't gotten any different results.

• Can you post an image of the material set up under the advanced tab? Simple doesn't tell us much (being 'simple').

Also, is your floor UV unwrapped? If so, could you post an image of the UV map? The type of map shouldn't make a difference, but for me it has on occasion.

• I'm not sure if this is your only problem, but if your floor is a square, why is the tiles image 1000x800? That's a rectangular size, not square.

Also, what is the size of the floor? Is it exactly 1000x800? That also can be causing a problem.

• Poser Ambassadors

@retrorain - yes this can be done relatively easily depending on whether you're familiar with using the Advanced tab of the material room.

In the Advanced tab add an image map node & load your texture. Then add a Math node and set it to Divide, leave both values at 1 for now & plug the output to U_Scale & V_Scale of the image map node as @ghostship has indicated above. To make your texture repeat across whatever you're applying it to change value_2 on the Math node - higher values = more repetition or tiling.

• Poser Ambassadors

@retrorain - Have you done a test render, or are you viewing only in preview? In preview, if your preview render settings are not set to OpenGL with hardware shading enabled, you won't see image map tiling - though it will show in a Firefly or Superfly render.

That image map isn't a seamless tile; if tiled, you'll see the pic boundaries. You could set the image map node to mirror U and mirror V, but that would only look a little less awkward. I have lots of asymmetrical seamless tiles, often with matching normal maps, if you need it.

I recommend that you click the "advanced" tab and begin to learn to use the full material room.

From your result image, I'd estimate that you need to tile about twenty times (set U scale and V scale to 0.05)

• Poser Ambassadors

@piersyf said in I'm having a problem with the textures:

Can you post an image of the material set up under the advanced tab? Simple doesn't tell us much (being 'simple').

Agreed; @retrorain , use the advanced material room, and click those two little icons in the image map node's title bar (one looks like a legal pad, the other is an eye) if need be, to expand/open the data field section and the little preview window.

@piersyf said in I'm having a problem with the textures:

Also, is your floor UV unwrapped?

I think @retrorain is using an unwrapped box with the Y scaled down.

• caisson, for simplicity purposes, I deleted my 3D object, and I'm using the poser's default ground for practice.

I opened up the materials, went to the advanced tab, and under PoserSurface, on the right side of Diffuse_Color, I created a new node (an Image_Map), and was successfully able to load the texture onto the ground. :)

However, I tried playing around with the Math node you mentioned, but I'm not getting any results. I created a math node off of the new Image_Map I created, right where it says U_Scale and V_Scale (in a sense, there are 2 Math Functions), and playing around with those isn't doing anything. Are both U_Scale and V_Scale able to use the same node? Because if they do, I do not know how to connect them both to the same node. I am only able to create a single node for each option. But playing around with the U_Scale and V_Scale options alone, without adding the nodes, isn't creating any results either.

Two pics to show you what I'm talking about:

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5126

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5127

• Poser Ambassadors

@retrorain - In each math node, enter 0.05 ,er, 20 into the value2 slot.

• Poser Ambassadors

@retrorain - you're nearly there. If you click & drag from the plug symbol on the right hand side of the Math node you'll be able to plug it to U_Scale; repeat to plug it to the V_Scale. Then change value_2 on the Math node. To create a node that's not connected to anything, right click anywhere in the blank space in the room to get a drop down menu with all the different nodes available.

The advantage to using a single Math node to control U & V simultaneously is that it can be used with multiple image maps e.g. diffuse, bump etc. I picked this technique up from @bagginsbill of course ;)

• It's still doing nothing. It's like it's taking that texture (and I even downsized it), and just plastering it on the ground, and is unwilling to shrink and be spread out evenly among the floor. Is it just a flaw of this program or something?

• Poser Ambassadors

Example of seamless tiles, a color map and its corresponding normal map:
    0_1477841265839_palace floor.jpg

0_1477841290451_palace floor normal.jpg

As @caisson suggested, use a single math node to control both U_scale and V_scale. Further, if using the normal map, you would also use that single math node to control the normal map's tiling.
    This way, all maps get changed consistently, and you only need to enter one value to do it.

0_1477841770889_tiling floor tiles.PNG

• Poser Ambassadors

@retrorain - it certainly should work, but like all programs, it has to be told what to do.

Step by step -

1. make sure the Ground is selected
    2. Enter Material room - Advanced tab
    3. Right click & choose Image Map from the list of nodes
    4. Load your texture
    5. Right click in empty space and choose Math_Function node
    6. Set the Math_Argument to Divide
    7. Click on the plug icon at top right of the Math node, drag & connect to U_Scale plug on the Image Map node
    8. Repeat & connect to V_Scale
    9. Change Value_2 on the Math node to a number higher than 1; leave Value_1 at 1.
    10. Connect the Image Map node to the Diffuse plug on the PoserSurface root.

That should work just like @seachnasaigh's posted example. If it doesn't, post a screenshot of the Material room so we can see what's going on.

• Guys, thank you all for your help. I haven't been on the computer the last several days because of work. I'll try those steps that caisson listed, and if I run into any more problems, I'll make a post.

Thanks again.