Complete novice. Experiencing issues with pens.

• I'm working on transitioning from traditional art to digital and the whole concept feels foreign to me. One main issue I have is after finishing a pencil sketch, inking with a pen is left looking very pixelated. Regardless of the pen's size. I was recommending Clip Studio ( manga studio) specifically for its inking capabilities. Yet everything I attempt end up looking like its fresh out of microsoft paint. Any advise or steps I am over looking ?

• What pen are you using? At what resolution and canvas size? Any anti-aliasing? Are you viewing the inked work at print size or zooming in beyond what's necessary?

If drawing at print size (or the size the artwork will be exported at), use a resolution of 300ppi or higher. If drawing for the web, use anti-aliasing on the pen stroke. View the artwork at the intended viewing scale. Zooming in too far for no reason will only disappoint you.

• @patrickaadavis Also what version of the software? If you're using Manga Studio 4 - this is actually how it's supposed to look. The jagged edges allow the color (if the image is to be colored) to go directly to the edge of the line art. If you're concerned about printing, those same jagged edges print clean and sharp.

If using Manga Studio 5 or Clip Studio, then, as Garlam mentions, the pen you're using may not have anti-aliasing on or you may be using a low resolution image and/or zoomed in too far.

• I agree... Common mistake is zooming in too close ( because you can)... but too close is always going to look pixilated. You may be using a Monochrome layer ... which will not support antialiasing and you should not use that at less than 600 pixels per linear inch.... the idea then is that the pixelation is so small that you cannot see it on the printed page..... if you then publish that to the web then the downscaling to 72 pixels per inch will automatically add antialiasing by a process of interpolation. ...

You can use lower resolutions than 600 but you then should use antialiasing to smooth it out and that only works on Color and Grayscale layers. Actually I'm not sure it even works well in version 4 on grayscale ( as that was an odd kind of grayscale ...its been a while since I used version 4 ).

• Also note that in version 4 monochrome layers were super efficient... so it was often worth using monochrome at 600 pixels per inch or even 1200. In version 5 monochrome is not more efficient than grayscale ... so it tends to be used less.

• CSP has a nice View at Print Size feature. Get a ruler and go to File>Preferences>Canvas and select Display Resolution settings. If you know the resolution of your monitor, just type it in but if you don't, hold the ruler up to the ruler displayed on the screen and slide the slider until it matches. Use a shortcut to view the canvas at print size or add a View At Print Size icon to your Command Bar.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.