Text resizing itself

• I've been having this issue for a while now, and finally thought about posting something regarding it today.

Here is the problem:

1. Click the text tool
    2. Choose any font and color
    3. Type some text
    4. Click elsewhere because you are done typing text

Once you are done typing your text and you click elsewhere, the area that the text actually takes up changes. It gets even worse if you go back to change the text. I've had this happen numerous times where I have a fairly long paragraph written out and speech bubbles all sized correctly. Then I change one word in the text and the whole thing changes size and no longer fits the bubble. It is very annoying.

If I'm typing in 18 pt font, then the size of the text should not change after I'm done typing.

• I've never had this happen so there might be something wrong with your installation. Have you tried to register the settings of your particular font. Open the Sub Tool Detail Palette and change the font, the color, and the font size. Then click Register Setting to Initial Settings.

Sometimes the font attributes will change if you edit them while the text box is active in the canvas. But usually it only affects the next text box you create - not the text box you just wrote.

• I have seen this happen before (oh, hi Garlam!) and I think it's something to do with the presets you have for that text tool rather than the current settings.

• Hey, Laura. I think you and I are talking about the same thing - if you make changes to a text property while the text box is active (click onto the canvas and then make your changes) the changes won't stick when you click another text box. They revert to the settings of the text tool before you made changes while the text box was active. Maybe I'm misunderstanding mr_phoenyxx's post. I thought he was saying that the text of the text box he just wrote changes. It even sounds like if he makes changes to one word in the text box, then the properties of all the text within that text box changes. That's unusual.

IfI'm misunderstanding the post then all that needs to be done is making your changes before you click onto the canvas to activate the text box. If the text box is active, any edit you make to the text tool settings won't stick.

• @garlam said in Text resizing itself:

I've never had this happen so there might be something wrong with your installation. Have you tried to register the settings of your particular font. Open the Sub Tool Detail Palette and change the font, the color, and the font size. Then click Register Setting to Initial Settings.

Sometimes the font attributes will change if you edit them while the text box is active in the canvas. But usually it only affects the next text box you create - not the text box you just wrote.

I don't recall ever seeing a "Register Settings" button, but I will check this evening and let you know.

In the meantime, maybe an example will explain the issue better.

Let's say I have a completely blank document, as in I've just opened a completely new one. I then click on the Text Tool, select a font, select a color, and then click on the blank document to type. As an example, let's say I type the following text:

The quick brown
    fox jumped over
    the picket fence.

Three lines that are fairly evenly spaced. I now click outside of the active text box or on a new tool to do something else. Quite often, but not always, when I do this the area that the text takes up will change. It will shift to be slightly wider. The font size is not changing. The font itself is not changing. Just how much space on the document the text takes up, i.e. the size of the text box changes.

But let's ignore that for the moment. Let's pretend that I've typed my text and this has not happened, as it does not always do so. I've typed my text and everything is fine. I start drawing elsewhere on my document away from the text that I've typed. As I am drawing I notice that I made a typo. I typed "brwon" and not "brown".

So I select the text tool. I click in the text box to make it the active box. I highlight "brwon" and change it to "brown". When I click outside of the box, or click on another tool. to accept the changes then the entire text box changes width and becomes about a half character wider. Please note that I have not changed any words or characters, I have not changed the font, and I have not changed the font size. Nothing about the font or the text has really changed, and yet the text box becomes significantly wider.

I can even go back in and check the font and the size. It has not changed at all. The text is simply taking up more room than it used to for some reason.

I don't understand it at all.

Now it's entirely possible that I am doing something the wrong way, or that my process is flawed. I am fairly new to Clip Studio. I am basically using it the same way I used to use Photoshop and that I also use Gimp.

So if I'm doing something wrong, or there is a specific set of steps you would like me to try in a particular order, then please let me know.

• It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. And I don't think there's a setting that affects the size of the text box (show resize handles is the only setting that would change the look of the text box) so I'm not sure why this would be happening.

You can only see the text box when you have the text selected, right?

• The text and the balloons are two separate objects on the canvas. If using the Object tool, the boxes will change from Text to Balloon.

alt text

This is the only explanation I can think of for what you're seeing.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. And I don't think there's a setting that affects the size of the text box (show resize handles is the only setting that would change the look of the text box) so I'm not sure why this would be happening.

You can only see the text box when you have the text selected, right?

Yes.

The text and the balloons are two separate objects on the canvas. If using the Object tool, the boxes will change from Text to Balloon.

alt text

This is the only explanation I can think of for what you're seeing.

Sort of. This is basically the exact setup that I am talking about, except I am specifically using the text tool and not the object tool. If I click on the text with the text tool (your image on the left), and then edit the text, the size of that text box will change once I'm done editing and I continue on to other things.

I completely forgot to test this last night, so I will attempt to show you an example this evening.

• Well I just tried a few different tests, and I can't get it to do it now. :/

• A lot of the time I work from templates. By that I mean that I have .lip files set up that I open in ClipArt, import my pictures, and then start typing text over them. Is it conceivable somehow that I have messed up the template? For instance, could what I am describing happen if I open one of these saved files, change the font, and then start editing.

I am partially just thinking out loud here and will try to test this, but I ask because I have noticed in ClipArt on more than one occasion that the text tool lists a different font and font size when I first click on the text box as opposed to once I highlight the actual text. Is this a case where I've changed the font with incorrect methodology and now my text box is messed up somehow?

Or let me ask this. If you want to change the font in a saved document, then what is the proper way to do so?

• It won't matter that you work from a template. If you created the template in a version prior to CSP1.5.4 then there is a different way that the new version draws text on the screen and the .lip file will be converted to this new way. I don't think it affects us as users though (with the exception of being much slower once a text layer reaches around 70 characters or so - hoping that gets fixed). But from the user end - everything looks the same.

The text tool will seemingly change to different settings if you made changes to the tool settings while a text box is active. The settings just won't stick when you click the canvas to activate another text box; they will revert to the settings as they were prior to activating the last text box. This makes some sense: say you were typing some dialogue in the CCJOEKUBERT font and you needed to change one word to the ALWAYSANGRY font for effect. You highlight that word and change the font in the text tool. You won't want to continue typing in ALWAYSANGRY and when you click onto the canvas to activate a new text box the text tool settings revert to CCJOEKUBERT. If you want to work on a page in a specific font, you need to make the settings changes before activating a text box.

If you have CSP EX, the easiest way to change font settings for text that is already on the canvas is to use the Story Text Editor. Change the font and settings to whatever you want in the text tool settings. Open the Text Editor and hold SHIFT while clicking the text boxes in the editor. Right Click and select Apply Tool Property to Text.

• I've always had this problem too the entire time I've been using MS/CSP. As soon as I select any of my text objects anywhere. The size and position of them change in very subtle ways. It's not always a problem, since I work at 600 dpi, but I sometimes have to select and reposition my text. It's probably from floating point rounding.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.