Remaking armor using Superfly materials

• I purchased the armor a while ago. Here it is in a Firefly render. Default Settings
    0_1478211289624_Firefly.jpg

Now here is the same armor. Rendered using the default settings for Superfly
    0_1478211332478_Superfly Render.png

Where do I start? Should I wipe out all the material settings?
    Here are the Material Room Settings. There are three Materials. This is Material One.
    0_1478211842493_Material Screen One.jpg

Thank you for your help.

• anything hooked up with a dashed line means it doesn't work and is plugged in wrong for how Superfly works. Second: remove the ambient occlusion node as you don't need that in Superfly.

• displacement doesn't really work all that well in Superfly so you might remove that too.

• @maestro why does armor need subsurface scattering? I'd remove that as well

• Poser Ambassadors

I'd say delete everything other than the three image maps in the bottom row.
    Superfly will not like the ambient occlusion node; that was a Firefly cheat which Superfly does not need.

The reflect node will also be redundant in Superfly; I would instead use a glossy node (plastic, ceramic, glass) or ks_microfacet for metal.

The yellow connection "wire" from the scatter node going into the color math is an invalid connection for Superfly; you can't do color math after a scatter node. You can't do color math after any node with a probability distribution (bsdf = bidirectional scattering distribution function). All color math must be done before a bsdf node. So, the node chain going to the root's alternate diffuse is dead on arrival.

Superfly doesn't have micropoly displacement, so I'd unplug from displacement and instead use it for bump.

alt text

edit: cross-posted thrice by Ghostship while I was composing! alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

2 Ways to see that SuperFly ran into an issue.

First , look at the upper right hand corner => Your Message Log Icon turned Orange after the render.

• That means SuperFly had an issue, and it will tell you what did go wrong during the render.

Secondly, as already shown, all "broken" or "dotted lines" also show the issues.

SuperFly being a PBR render engine, it does not need all the faking we used to do in FireFly.
    So most of these "older" node setups can go out.

For such a setup, I would change the Root to a PhysicalSurface.

Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in Remaking armor using Superfly materials:

@maestro why does armor need subsurface scattering? I'd remove that as well

I wondered about that too. But the Israelis have been working on body armor which is translucent and soft like gel pad when encountering slow/dispersed force, such as body movement, but severely localized/ violent force (knife stab, bullet/shrapnel strike) causes it to instantly harden and function as armor. Once the violent force is dissipated the material returns to gel.

• Hi there

I've used AlfaseeD 110.1 in several SF renders and they works pretty much very well in my case as above disconnect above nodes: Ambient Occlusion,Displacement not sure,but I've plugged,not make any faster renders if its plugged or unplugged,tested that in several scenes,reflect I don't use at all and I use mostly Physical Root in my case

Here is how it looks on mine

0_1478227013316_Untitled.jpg

and finished render

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @seachnasaigh

That sounds totally badass. Much more cutting edge than simple body armor. Perhaps this armor is based on that.

To both ghostship and seachnasaigh

Elimination everything but the image maps worked! This is the Superfly render. (I've already saved it as Cr2.)
    0_1478231439186_SuperFly Edition.jpg

If you compare with the Firefly version above, you can see that everything is restored. I even removed the anistropic node. I'll see how it reflects lights later.

Now I'm going to apply what I learned yesterday about opacity (transparency) maps and see if I can get it to work with my original figure. In the meantime, you have my thanks. I'm off to get donuts (by request) than back to applying what I learned.

• @jura11

Before I get those donuts. A question. You unchecked the SuperFly in the Poser Surface box but checked the Physical Surface box. Did you rename it? I didn't get a physical surface box. I'm checking to see I can summon one myself. Are those colors part of the standard mats that came with this Armor? I like 'em!

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, you can summon a PhysicalSurface root node; right-click on an empty spot in the material workspace, select new node : root : PhysicalSurface.

For reflectivity, you might try lowering the diffuse value, and adding a ks_microfacet node (right-click, new node : lighting : specular : ks_microfacet).
    Plug the color map into the ks_microfacet node's specular color socket, and plug the ks_microfacet node's output into the PoserSurface root's alternate specular socket.

If using the Physical surface root node, then darken the "color" box of the PhysicalSurface root node, and give the "metallic" value a little boost.
    Or, if that middle image map is a specular map, just plug it into the "Specular" socket of the PhysicalSurface root node.

• @maestro said in Remaking armor using Superfly materials:

@jura11

Before I get those donuts. A question. You unchecked the SuperFly in the Poser Surface box but checked the Physical Surface box. Did you rename it? I didn't get a physical surface box. I'm checking to see I can summon one myself. Are those colors part of the standard mats that came with this Armor? I like 'em!

Hi there

You need to right click on the mouse,you will see New Node->Root and select Physical_Surface

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @seachnasaigh

With Physical node is everything bit easier and with reflective mats this can't be any easier,I used older StoneMason set(Abandon City) and there I've used only Physical root for whole scene,pain to rework,but scene looked much better in my view

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

I did a similar Superfly adaptation for Uzilite's Liquid Knight armor (and Stonemason's Urban Future):

0_1478233573187_Liquid Knight on Urban SciFi - main landing - T.jpg

0_1478233586666_Liquid Knight on Urban SciFi - face - C.jpg

• @seachnasaigh
    That's looks awesome there,you are really using those emitting objects,I know few guys who prefer to use them,but you are using them in another level there in good way

Thanks,Jura

• I did as you said and I now understand the difference between the two. To be certain, the Poser Surface is what comes defaulted to the cr2, Prop we are using. The Physical surface is another way of doing things. It seems simpler really. I need to work on getting the coloring down but am I right?

• @maestro said in Remaking armor using Superfly materials:

I did as you said and I now understand the difference between the two. To be certain, the Poser Surface is what comes defaulted to the cr2, Prop we are using. The Physical surface is another way of doing things. It seems simpler really. I need to work on getting the coloring down but am I right?

Hi there

There are 3 root modes: Poser Surface,Physical and Cycles I prefer to use Physical,on some materials I use Cycles,this model has been modeled way before Poser SF has been released and you need to decide what will works for you

I prefer to use Physical root which works for me for most of the props and is really much simpler,regarding the coloring,its up to you,for reflection as I'm getting I've used pure white(255,255,255 RGB)

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

Another word about root nodes. You can put many root nodes in a shader, but only one or two are active at any time, and for each renderer, only ONE is active.

All the root nodes have the two checkboxes, one for FireFly, one for SuperFly. Active roots have one or both of these checked.

The FireFly checkbox identifies which root will be used to render in FireFly. Checking this box on a root node will uncheck it on all other root nodes.

The SuperFly checkbox identifies which root will be used to render in SuperFly. Checking this box on a root node will uncheck it on all other root nodes.

We have this system so that a single material can have the same node arrangement (shader) for both engines, or two slightly different shaders, or two completely different shaders. It's up to you.

As well, we can have alternative shaders in the same material that make it possible to switch from one shader to another just by selecting one of several alternative roots. I use this technique a lot when I want to test visualize some element of a shader, such as a clouds pattern I'm using to modulate shine. I sometimes add an additional root that just draws the clouds. I can then clearly see the clouds pattern rendered on the prop. I adjust the pattern until it has the features I want, then I switch back the full shader where the clouds is just a subtle part of the whole shader. Before "shipping" materials to other users I would delete my alternate shaders, but while I'm evolving the shader, I keep these "unused" roots for quick visualization of subsets of the real shader.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here is a demonstration. I am using a very complicated and slow candy paint shader here. I intend to modulate the candy thickness with a Clouds node. It's a subtle variation and it's hard to see how the pattern works on the finished shader, so I temporarily switch to a Cycles Root where I've directly plugged the Clouds node in, and I've rendered it in FireFly. Since the active shader is just Clouds, it renders very fast.

0_1478257462125_upload-75805f2c-49d2-49a2-b219-29738449d81d

Then I just switch the active root to the PoserSurface and without doing any rewiring, I activate the full shader (which is now over 75 nodes).

0_1478257544660_upload-38bf50f3-7177-48f7-bfae-bf4df8484eac

• @bagginsbill said in Remaking armor using Superfly materials:

Here is a demonstration. I am using a very complicated and slow candy paint shader here. I intend to modulate the candy thickness with a Clouds node. It's a subtle variation and it's hard to see how the pattern works on the finished shader, so I temporarily switch to a Cycles Root where I've directly plugged the Clouds node in, and I've rendered it in FireFly. Since the active shader is just Clouds, it renders very fast.

0_1478257462125_upload-75805f2c-49d2-49a2-b219-29738449d81d

Then I just switch the active root to the PoserSurface and without doing any rewiring, I activate the full shader (which is now over 75 nodes).

0_1478257544660_upload-38bf50f3-7177-48f7-bfae-bf4df8484eac

That's very nice BB

I've used yours several materials which I think you are developed with DreamlandModels,but those no longer works with SF

Thanks,Jura

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.