Protip: don't run two versions of Poser at once

• I had two renders to do, one from Poser 10, one from Poser 11; I have an eight-core workstation with 32GB RAM; the solution is easy, right? Run both the renders simultaneously. Simple.

Don't do this, folks. It seemed to be going all right at first - both render processes were sharing the CPU nicely - but then extra render processes started popping up, and I've no idea what they were doing. Nothing really bad happened, but both renders were spoilt. What I actually got from each Poser was the image that you see when the renderer is pre-calculating indirect light, with red spots all over them. Not pretty, and my punishment was to do both of them over again. :)

• @englishbob

Sometimes, I do two renders at the same time: one with the queue manager, and one with the gpu.

• @englishbob Sometimes I'll do a render while setting up a scene in another version.

• Thinking about it, this probably happened because both Posers were set to use an external process for rendering. I don't know what the communication method is between the host and the renderer, but I bet they're the same for both versions and they just got their wires crossed. Maybe same-process rendering would work?

It's not that important anyway. One renderer using 100% CPU probably takes about half the time of two renderers using 50% each, so the total time taken for two images would be the same. Whatever the answer, having to do them both again is definitely the slowest option. :)

@Y-Phil - I don't have a suitable GPU, so not an option for me. I have run LuxRender and Poser in parallel in the past though.

@eclark1849 - Setting up while rendering would be an advantage I could use. I only recently got Poser 10 (it was on sale at a silly price) and it can do most of the things I want to do.