Noob having issues...

• Ok, so not the most unusual topic.
    I picked up Poser 10, and started playing with it, wonderful stuff, way beyond my abilities, but really cool to play with. So I go looking for downloads, I get a plane from content paradise, download it, installer does its thing, it shows up in the library. Double click it, (loading) flashes next to the item. And..... nothing happens.

I go watch a few videos to see if I did something wrong, and search for similar problems, but everything seems to indicate that if it shows up in the library it should open (famous last words).

So, what am I missing? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

• @ihcuwuns Just out of curiosity, did you try restarting the program and loading it again?

• @ihcuwuns I don't use the installer if the product uses one. You should be able to download the zip of the files, extract and place the files where they need to be in your runtime. models will have a geometry file that needs to be in the geometries folder. There will also be textures for your texture folder, a figure/prop file for loading the model and sometimes pose or mat files for loading different textures on the model. I close Poser or at least restart it after manually loading content so it shows up in the library.

• There is also the possibility that just because the product appears to be in the library, something still could have gone wrong with the installation. Check your files to make sure everythihng was installed WHERE it was supposed to.

• @ghostship said in Noob having issues...:

@ihcuwuns I don't use the installer if the product uses one. You should be able to download the zip of the files, extract and place the files where they need to be in your runtime. models will have a geometry file that needs to be in the geometries folder. There will also be textures for your texture folder, a figure/prop file for loading the model and sometimes pose or mat files for loading different textures on the model. I close Poser or at least restart it after manually loading content so it shows up in the library.

I'm doing the same, except that I don't reload Poser, I only refresh the library.

@eclark1849 said in Noob having issues...:

@ihcuwuns Just out of curiosity, did you try restarting the program and loading it again?

Once, I've had a problem with a sofa: there was a problem with the geometry as it wasn't showing up. I contacted the author.

• @Y-Phil For me ,at least, a list of files that should be included and where they are supposed to be located, should be included in every README.

• Also, are you sure that the plane is actually included? A lot of the freebies are texture sets for an item that may have to be purchased separately.

• I did restart.

Good question on the textures vs. actual plane. Might just be textures, may have to re-visit the shop.

I found I have 2 runtime directories. One under \Poser 10 content\runtime and then another under Poser 10 content\downloads\runtime, is that the way it should be?

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, you should have both of those runtimes. Install anything you buy/make to the downloads\runtime.

Both of those runtimes should be in the public documents folder - not in program files.

• A very basic question.

Is this the first edition Poser you've ever owned?

• @maestro said in Noob having issues...:

A very basic question.

Is this the first edition Poser you've ever owned?

it is, was on sale due to poser 11 coming out, so figured I'd check it out and see what I could do, or blow up my PC, whichever came first.

• Where is your Poser 10 content\runtime located?

If it's in the Program Files folder, then Windows UAC (User Account Control) will be preventing Poser from accessing the content. The solution is to create another runtime somewhere outside of the Program Files folder, and link it to Poser as an External Runtime.

• I've been using Poser since V3 long time ago.
    Up to the V7, I was using the default folder. And this resulted in a total nightmare (I've heard the same from some studio users)
    Then I decided to change:

• I download the zip in a temp folder
    • then I organize stuff using the name of the creator of the figure/prop
    • all complementary material/addons are copied under the figure/prop folder
    • I tend to group things so that I can rapidly find things
    • all the runtime folders are grouped under one, on another disk: a standard SATA hard disk with 6Gb/s speed as my motherboard has the right connector

Example:
    alt text

In this picture, "3D Lib" is a folder that contains all the zip I've downloaded till now.
    Everything is copied with a free batch on external hard disks once a week.
    This script is in fact synchronizing the source with the destination with one of the very best program Microsoft has ever written: robocopy.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.