Disabling a little 'present' from Nvidia.

• seems to be a lot of nutters on that forum. I would not worry about it.

• @pleasejustwork

• I would assume that a large number of NVIDIA users have opted to not use personal information to log-in to their Experience front-end app and choose to manually install the drivers, instead. This circumvents NVIDIA's intent, partially, with their mandatory login for Experience.

So, they're going around that and forcing users to provide some forms of user data, regardless.

Article - http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-telemetry-monitor-is-not-spying-on-you/

I personally don't trust any company that surreptitiously sneaks in telemetry apps without directly informing the user before installation and allowing them to "opt out." That's especially true for hardware manufacturers, since I don't believe one should be held hostage to an "opt-out/opt-in" selection screen, having to replace hardware if one actually makes a certain choice.

• Thanks for the article link. Despite their assurances, I don't trust ANY company either since it's so easy to quietly change the EULA. My gaming/graphics computer is NOT online so it doesn't affect me.

• By the way, I looked over Nvidia's Privacy Statement. It's the one that the driver install links directly to from the installation screen.

That privacy statement only appears to apply to web services. It provides its "opt out" clause to those who can choose to use their cookies/app/browser settings to screen out personal information.

BUT, the driver package, itself, isn't covered by such a policy. It's only indirectly, possibly, included in that privacy statement and, IIRC, it pertains to their front-end program, the Experience.

IOW - "Class Action" anyone? :)

• @ghostship

@ghostship said in Disabling a little 'present' from Nvidia.:

seems to be a lot of nutters on that forum. I would not worry about it.

From a link in that thread to the MS 'Autoruns' utility, I discovered on this MS site which has other interesting utilities...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

As an aside, I can't see what I'm typing because the I've somehow run the bottom of the composition window off the bottom of my Browser window and can't scroll it back up with either scollbar......

• Sysinternals is just brilliant. I've been using their 'Process Explorer' for years. Right now I can see that my browser (Palemoon) is using more and more ram and CPU time while it tries to handle the eighty ba-zillion images as I browse some 'interesting' (don't ask) blog on Tumblr. At some point I'll shut the browser down and use Process Explorer to kill the numerous handles that won't close. Running the program as Administrator allows one to kill the persistent stuff.

• @pleasejustwork said in Disabling a little 'present' from Nvidia.:

... the eighty ba-zillion images as I browse some 'interesting' (don't ask) blog on Tumblr. ...

not "this thread"-compatible? lol

• chuckle There's some pretty strange (but fun) stuff on Tumblr. I don't join or follow anything. When I find one I like, I just browse the archives. This lets me quickly find pictures worth keeping. I generally play 'catch-up' every few months and it only takes a few minutes to vet each group.

• @pleasejustwork said in Disabling a little 'present' from Nvidia.:

chuckle There's some pretty strange (but fun) stuff on Tumblr. I don't join or follow anything. When I find one I like, I just browse the archives. This lets me quickly find pictures worth keeping. I generally play 'catch-up' every few months and it only takes a few minutes to vet each group.

Sometimes, I find beautiful pictures or poses that are worth trying to reproduce using Poser, just to practice. Most of the time it ends up in a new picture, different from the original.
    You may easily guess, for example, where the following picture comes from:
    alt text

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.