Is there a way to Alt+drag to duplicate a selected part of image?

• In Photoshop and Illustrator, a quick way to duplicate part of an image, within the same layer is to:

• Select the relevant part of artwork, using Select tool
    • Hold down the Alt key (Windows) / Option key (Mac)
    • Use the Move tool to drag the selection to another part of your canvas

Using this technique will result in a duplication of the selection appearing on the same layer of your Photoshop file.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an easy way to replicate this shortcut in Clip Studio Paint. I have only discovered 2 ways to do the same thing:

• Select the relevant part of artwork and use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and paste the artwork. (Unfortunately, this creates a new layer - which is not ideal for me).
    • Edit the tool property of Transform to 'Keep original image'. (Unfortunately, this option saves itself, so the next time you move a selection, you need to remember to turn this option off).

My question is: can someone please tell me how to set up a Clip Studio Paint keyboard shortcut that will allow me to recreate the simplicity of the Alt+Drag cloning technique from Adobe products? Thanks in advance.

• You should be able to make a duplicate of the Layer Translation tool and in that duplicate set the "keep the original image" to on. Then you can set up a hotkey for selection tools to switch to that tool when you hold down (e.g. shift ).... That should do it in theory.

• @888toto said in Is there a way to Alt+drag to duplicate a selected part of image?:

You should be able to make a duplicate of the Layer Translation tool and in that duplicate set the "keep the original image" to on. Then you can set up a hotkey for selection tools to switch to that tool when you hold down (e.g. shift ).... That should do it in theory.

This would work. You could in fact set up the Selection tool to work exactly like the Adobe version doing something like this with the Alt Modifier key. Duplicate the Move Layer tool and set it to keep original image as suggested by 888toto. Rename it to Move Duplicate or something. Register Settings as Initial Settings in the Sub Tool Detail Palette. Then go to File>Modifier Key Settings and select Alt. Use Change Tool Temporarily and select your new Move Duplicate tool.

Now when you use Alt while using the Selection tool it will do exactly as it does in Adobe.

• Thanks for the suggestions. I am impressed by the helpfulness of the users here!

OK, so I just did something very similar to what @garlam suggested. Steps:

• I created a duplicate of the 'Move layer' tool, which I named 'Move & duplicate'
    • In this 'Move & duplicate' tool, I checked the option to 'Keep the original image'. I then right-clicked and used 'Register Settings as Initial Settings', so that this would be the default way that this tool operate. (I also then right-clicked to 'Lock' the tool.)
    • I then went File -> Modifier Key Settings, and changed it so that when Alt is depressed for 'Move layer', the 'Tool aux. operation' is 'Keep the original image'.
    • I also changed the Modifier Key Settings for the 'Object' tool, so that depressing the Alt key changes the tool to the 'Move & duplicate' custom tool that I created.

That seems to work, in that a duplicate image is created when I Alt+drag, and I do not have to remember to turn off the 'Keep the original image' setting the next time that I use the Move tool.

However, there is one remaining difference between the way that Clip Studio Paint is now behaving, versus Photoshop. The difference is that the duplicate image is being cloned onto a new layer in Clip Studio Paint. That is not quite what I have in mind, as I typically want this duplicated artwork to appear on the same layer as the original.

So my new question is: does anyone know how to change this behaviour, so that the duplicated image appears on the same layer within Clip Studio Paint?

• Really ??? ... I tried it and it works on the same layer for me , if I am using the tool on a selection ( i.e when moving the selection my cursor is within the selection) . With the cursor outside the selection it will move the whole layer and put that on a new layer.

• This post is deleted!

• Actually, you are right, it does create the copy within the original layer when copying raster artwork.

(I think I was experimenting with duplicating text/balloons earlier. Which behaves differently to raster artwork - it always creates a new layer for the duplicate).

Thanks to @888toto for helping me to solve this problem. Glad that my Clip Studio Paint now has this handy feature that is native to Photoshop/Illustrator.

• To move a selection, simply grab the Move tool (the four-headed arrow) at the top right of the Tools panel, and then drag the selection.