"CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()"

• Hi guys

In last couple of days I'm getting this error "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()" which I don't think is related to Poser at all and think is related to TDR and nvlddmkm which is "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

This I've saw only on W10 as I moved from W7 to W10 and tried almost every driver available,on W7 I've never have such problem and I've moved last night back to W7 and no problems with longer renders,in W10 I couldn't render longer renders as I've got that error

In simple scene I've saw 8004MB usage on GTX1080 which shouldn't be,after restart tried again same scene which took from GPU VRAM only 1300MB which I would expect at least not 8004MB

I thought so down to my GPU clocks,tried same with different renderers like Cycles and few others and no issues at all in longer renders

If someone see that error,can you please check yours Event viewer if you have there error with nvlddmkm

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 said in "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()":

nvlddmkm

I've found a few warnings stating that the display driver wasn't responding anymore (event ID=4101)
    And 3 errors: source=nvlddmkm, id=13:

• \Device\UVMLiteProcess83
      Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504224=0x80000041 0x504228=0x20080001 0x50422c=0x0 0x504234=0x0

NVRM: Graphics TEX Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 0): TEX NACK / Page Fault

Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504224=0x80000000 0x504228=0x0 0x50422c=0x0 0x504234=0x0

Each time, the message was explaining that the component was either not installed or was having a damaged installation...

I don't know if it's related or not but the warnings and the errors were surrounded by messages from Malwarebyte's chameleon (I've the pro license, which provides protection in real time)

• @Y-Phil

I've got similar errors to yours and I think is down to driver stopped responding and recovered or TDR most likely which can be resolved through the registry fix(TDR), but still with TDR registry I didn't resolved that at all and still think is down to Windows 10/8 or 8.1

With CPU I've never got such error,tried few renders to do and no error

Right now I'm on W7 and I will be doing few tests through weekend,but I've tried longer render in last night and no error, VRAM usage has been as I expected with no errors

Strange is I've never got such error with Blender or IRAY in longish rendering session

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Windows 10 uses a different way of displaying the screen.
    More often than not TDR settings are the cause of the issue.

TDR delay defaults to two seconds on an install and is not enough time for heavy GPUGU operations. 8 or 10 seconds is a better setting to start with.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    is where the setting is, or needs to be added to the registry.

The computer must be rebooted for this to take effect once changed. Stopping and starting explorer normally has no effect.

If that is not the issue, chances are better than good you have exposed a Cuda issue. Pascal cards do things a bit differently than previous generation cards. This is not a new error to the Cycles world either. With every jump in Cuda and GPU arch, it seems to pop back up until the drivers and Cuda mature.

• It looks like, indeed, that my TdrDelay value was the default one: 2 seconds, from what I've read on Microsoft's website (running W10-64b)

• @shvrdavid said in "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()":

Windows 10 uses a different way of displaying the screen.

TDR delay defaults to two seconds on an install and is not enough time for heavy GPUGU operations. 8 or 10 seconds is a better setting to start with.

The computer must be rebooted for this to take effect once changed. Stopping and starting explorer normally has no effect.

If that is not the issue, chances are better than good you have exposed a Cuda issue. Pascal cards do things a bit differently than previous generation cards. This is not a new error to the Cycles world either. With every jump in Cuda and GPU arch, it seems to pop back up until the drivers and Cuda mature.

@shvrdavid

Yes off course I've restarted PC when I changed TDR, I've increased TDR delay to 15 seconds to be sure, tried 8 seconds etc, but still same issue...

I agree this can be CUDA itself issue as CUDA 8 is still new and we are exposed that

I've tried to render with Titan X and no error at all, but still on W7 I've never got such error in longer render sessions

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11

Have you tried this setting: TdrDdiDelay?
    It's explained here.

• @Y-Phil said in "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()":

It looks like, indeed, that my TdrDelay value was the default one: 2 seconds, from what I've read on Microsoft 's website (running W10-64b)

@Y-Phil

I' ve tried few TDR delays to set like 8 seconds or 15 seconds etc, but still I've got same error, due this I've returned back to W7 64bit

Thanks, Jura

• There is another fix for a similar issue that may apply here.

Read this

• @Y-Phil said in "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()":

@jura11

Have you tried this setting: TdrDdiDelay?
    It's explained here.

@Y-Phil

Yes this what I tried and still same issue, due this I've went back to W7 64bit

And mainly due the high DPC on W10 too I've returned back to W7 64bit

Thanks, Jura

There is another fix for a similar issue that may apply here.

Read this

@shvrdavid

I'm using DDU for removing drivers or DriverSweeper and never have any issues with drivers and I don't think is driver issue when on W7 I've never got such error to the date

Will do few tests and will be checking Event Viewer

Thanks, Jura

• DDU and Driversweeper work fine in W7, but in W10 some utilities can't access some of the things that need removed.

It has to be done in safe mode. To make matter worse, the Nvidia driver installers can make it worse by not replacing settings that are already there even if they are wrong.

• @shvrdavid

I always remove all drivers in safe mode and always checking folders plus registry for any remaining items of Nvidia installation

Yes agree Windows 10 will not remove all drivers, but I always checking all folders to be sure

Thanks, Jura

DDU and Driversweeper work fine in W7, but in W10 some utilities can't access some of the things that need removed.

It has to be done in safe mode. To make matter worse, the Nvidia driver installers can make it worse by not replacing settings that are already there even if they are wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Windows 10 uses a different way of displaying the screen.

Thanks for this. Substance Painter was complaining about the 2 second TDR in Win10; complaining that the OS would crash SP under heavy computation.

• have win 10 pro
    used earlier a gtx 970 but some days ago bought a titan x (pascal)
    it killed --every - gpu render after first tile was rendered.
    opened a servise ticket.
    today found that by installin cuda toolkit
    got the card rendering that cuda toolkit installs
    video driver v 369.30 and that works the one i used
    earlier ,the newer 369.70 seemed to be the reason to the render stoppin.
    now the card renders but it renders 3 times slover than my some years
    old i 7 cpu whit its 6 cores . so dont know should i cry or laugh
    but till there comes a service uppgrade it seem pointles to try use
    the pascal card whit poser 11 pro ...in my computer.
    users havin problems whit gpu rendering may try that .. install cuda tool kit
    maybe some have better results than i whit my system.

• @MirageMaker

Hi there

I would recommend to install Windows 7 and try there yours Titan X Pascal

I'm running Titan X Maxwell with GTX1080 and got several issues in Win10, switched back to W7 64bit and no issues at all with rendering in any SW which use CUDA

If you have spare HDD then I would install W7 for now

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 thank you for the advise
    but
    as all other programs run wery good whit the card under win10 i keep the operating system
    mbe poser works better after next service release untill that time ..DS and other renderers work.

• @MirageMaker said in "CUDA error: Illegal address in cuCTXSynchronize()":

@jura11 thank you for the advise
    but
    as all other programs run wery good whit the card under win10 i keep the operating system
    mbe poser works better after next service release untill that time ..DS and other renderers work.

Hi there

I've tried few renderers and yes they work like DS Iray which is right now in latest Beta does support Pascal cards,but performance is pretty poor, my GTX Titan X is faster than GTX1080 which shouldn't be and if you render with both cards,you can get similar error too after while

Have tried too Cycles which supports too in latest build Pascal cards but still you can get that error sometimes

I know for sure, in Win7 I don't have any issue with such errors and can render long renders which usually I do

Strange is, in games I didn't have any issue on W10 at all

Its up to you how you decide, if you have spare SSD or HDD then I wpuld install and dual boot W7

Hope this helps and best of luck

Thanks, Jura