Question about the queue manager

• I sometimes will send renders to another computer with the queue manager. My normal computer has 8 cores so that's what I have the render threads set to. The other computer only has 2. How will it affect my render or my other computer if I don't switch the number of threads to 2 before sending it? Will it cause my 2nd computer to choke or things to not render correctly? Or does the queue manager compensate somehow?

• Poser Team

Queue Manager has its own settings for the number of cores used.

By default, I believe it will install on each machine to use all available cores.
    This will over ride core count settings in the PZ3 sent to the remote.

If for some reason you want to lower the number used you can edit the QueuePrefs.xml file found in:
    User/user name/AppData/Roaming/Queue Manager/version/QueuePrefs.xml on each the remote machines.

I routinely have this set to less than the full core count simply because the machines are also sort of interlinked with shares, etc. and need some processor time to do so. One less core is not usually a deal breaker on an I7 or Xeon.

• Poser Ambassadors

I often use a 24-thread machine to send jobs to an 8-thread machine, and occasionally have used a 2-thread laptop to send jobs to both 8-thread and 24-thread remotes.

Whether sending from higher core count to lower or vice versa, the remotes always use all available cores with no problem.

• Thanks. Good to know I don't have to constantly change the settings.

• Hi quick question, is there any way to restore a queue manager job without having to restart the render from the beginning? On a pc that's crashed or updated overnight and restarted? thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

@dgould2001 said in Question about the queue manager:

Hi quick question, is there any way to restore a queue manager job without having to restart the render from the beginning? On a pc that's crashed or updated overnight and restarted? thanks.

If it was an animation producing separate image files (a series of PNGs), you could send a job picking up from just after the last finished frame.

If it was a single image, then I don't know of a way to recover that. One of the items on my wish list is a resume render option, which would probably require something like Lux' FLM file format - it would save the progress made on the render, and you would be able to pick up from where you left off.

On a computer used for rendering, I would turn off Windows' automatic updates.

• @seachnasaigh Hi thanks for the answer, I thought as much a resume render would be great. I'm not exactly sure how to disable windows 10 update though, I've been told that disabling windows update service in the service windows lets you get around the forced reboot, anyways cheers.

• @dgould2001

If you don't need to go online once the computation is launched and if you don't want to touch the services, you may also cut the link to the internet (wifi off / net cable removed)

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.