How to create photorealistic skin in Poser 11?

• Is there any tutorial on how to create photorealistic skins in Poser 11?

• Poser Team

There are a ton of Blender tuts on how to do it basically from scratch to the render.

Obviously not all if it applies to Poser directly, but the theory does

• Painted maps always look painted to me, not real at all. Better to use photos of real skin. Unless you are going for that look????

• Poser Team

Even if you use photo references, it is a similar process.

• @shvrdavid True, just wanted to make that point that you need to start with photos if you want photo-realistic but it's ok to paint the textures if you want that painted look.

• Poser Team

I do a combination of both most of the time.

• @jonboy72 : it may help if you specify whether you are aiming to make skin materials yourself, or whether you're interested in getting photorealistic renders from other people's materials. The answers above assume the first option, but I could interpret your question either way.

• Photorealistic renders from photos of other people is what I am trying to learn to create.

I did try what the video suggested, but the problem is,, after I did the UV unwrap, the unwrapped product (on the left of the Blender screen) was on the side instead of right-side up.f

Here is an illustration of what should not be:

alt text

How do I rotate the UV map on the left side to appear right-side up?

• a good color*, the firefly scatter node, some specularity (like blinn), some bump, and some experimenting to get the values just right.

the most vital part in my experience is the color of the texture, especially relative to the environment. If your texture is too bright, or lacks contrast, you'll look like a dead person. If its too dark and too much contrast, you'll look like a chimney sweep. Black people have dark skin, but the contrast is not so high, and there is more blue in the color than you might expect. If all your surrounding colors are very dark, your character will look like a ghost. It needs to match the environment. A good tip is to make the render, save the render, level the color of the character in photoshop, then use that levels to adjust the texture itself (as a copy of course).

SSS is really no big deal, its just a matter of getting the light to behave more-or-less realistically through something like an ear, or if a bright light shines across a face. The light can travel a few millimeters through the skin like that. Too extreme and you'll be rendering Madame Tusseau's people. You can go all scientific on this, that's up to you.

Specularity depends entirely on the person. Some people have greasy skin, some sweaty, some dry, and some have make up. This can all be determined with specularity, and perhaps even with a reflection node.

Bump depends on the picture. Because many bump maps (and even some normal maps) are not designed to accommodate for different resolutions, you might have to adjust it depending on how close the camera is to the skin. Some bump maps often try to accommodate big creases with little ones and so from a distance you might see wrinkles but up close the face will look like a moonscape. It depends on the bump map.

Color of the texture is very important. VERY important. Textures with shadows and reflections suck. Only use textures that deal with the actual skin color, not any effects.

PS: it goes without saying that with 'color' I mean: actual photographic extractions like some folks here above say. Making a proper texture using photographic references requires a lot of skill. UV unwrap is not easy, especially in blender. ZBrush is easier, if you can afford it. You can rotate it using UVMapper (free), but I am sure blender can do it... somehow...

• @jonboy72 Are you making your own figure or using one from the P11 content folder or a Daz or Hivewire figure?

• @jonboy72
    if you are using a pre-made figure you will not have to do any UV unwrapping in Blender. Just get the Texture template from the texture folder or download one from the appropriate web page.

• Are there any free skin textures for me to download anywhere?

• Also, could I use a program such as Photoshop to update the texture to look more realistic? That would be a much better way for me to learn how to create photorealistic skins for my custom-made 3D model.

• @jonboy72 What figure are you trying to make textures for? Yes you can use Photoshop to edit textures. I use it all the time to manipulate textures.

• @jonboy72 here is a figure with a texture that I have replaced the eyebrows and changed the skin tone.
    0_1479610788773_Test.jpg

• I'm making textures for a Poser 11 figure.

• @jonboy72 what figure? there are several that come with the program.

• I am using the Jessica figure as well as one of the Poser originals.

• @jonboy72 OK. Here is a link to a page that hosts seam guides. He has seam guides for Jessi there too.

http://snowsultan.com/

• @jonboy72 Jessi's default textures aren't too bad. I ran them through EZSkin3 with the new Cycles skin plug-in and used my own eye transparency texture.
    0_1479615459041_Jessi 1.jpg

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.