How to create photorealistic skin in Poser 11?

• Photorealistic renders from photos of other people is what I am trying to learn to create.

I did try what the video suggested, but the problem is,, after I did the UV unwrap, the unwrapped product (on the left of the Blender screen) was on the side instead of right-side up.f

Here is an illustration of what should not be:

alt text

How do I rotate the UV map on the left side to appear right-side up?

• a good color*, the firefly scatter node, some specularity (like blinn), some bump, and some experimenting to get the values just right.

the most vital part in my experience is the color of the texture, especially relative to the environment. If your texture is too bright, or lacks contrast, you'll look like a dead person. If its too dark and too much contrast, you'll look like a chimney sweep. Black people have dark skin, but the contrast is not so high, and there is more blue in the color than you might expect. If all your surrounding colors are very dark, your character will look like a ghost. It needs to match the environment. A good tip is to make the render, save the render, level the color of the character in photoshop, then use that levels to adjust the texture itself (as a copy of course).

SSS is really no big deal, its just a matter of getting the light to behave more-or-less realistically through something like an ear, or if a bright light shines across a face. The light can travel a few millimeters through the skin like that. Too extreme and you'll be rendering Madame Tusseau's people. You can go all scientific on this, that's up to you.

Specularity depends entirely on the person. Some people have greasy skin, some sweaty, some dry, and some have make up. This can all be determined with specularity, and perhaps even with a reflection node.

Bump depends on the picture. Because many bump maps (and even some normal maps) are not designed to accommodate for different resolutions, you might have to adjust it depending on how close the camera is to the skin. Some bump maps often try to accommodate big creases with little ones and so from a distance you might see wrinkles but up close the face will look like a moonscape. It depends on the bump map.

Color of the texture is very important. VERY important. Textures with shadows and reflections suck. Only use textures that deal with the actual skin color, not any effects.

PS: it goes without saying that with 'color' I mean: actual photographic extractions like some folks here above say. Making a proper texture using photographic references requires a lot of skill. UV unwrap is not easy, especially in blender. ZBrush is easier, if you can afford it. You can rotate it using UVMapper (free), but I am sure blender can do it... somehow...

• @jonboy72 Are you making your own figure or using one from the P11 content folder or a Daz or Hivewire figure?

• @jonboy72
    if you are using a pre-made figure you will not have to do any UV unwrapping in Blender. Just get the Texture template from the texture folder or download one from the appropriate web page.

• Are there any free skin textures for me to download anywhere?

• Also, could I use a program such as Photoshop to update the texture to look more realistic? That would be a much better way for me to learn how to create photorealistic skins for my custom-made 3D model.

• @jonboy72 What figure are you trying to make textures for? Yes you can use Photoshop to edit textures. I use it all the time to manipulate textures.

• @jonboy72 here is a figure with a texture that I have replaced the eyebrows and changed the skin tone.
    0_1479610788773_Test.jpg

• I'm making textures for a Poser 11 figure.

• @jonboy72 what figure? there are several that come with the program.

• I am using the Jessica figure as well as one of the Poser originals.

• @jonboy72 OK. Here is a link to a page that hosts seam guides. He has seam guides for Jessi there too.

http://snowsultan.com/

• @jonboy72 Jessi's default textures aren't too bad. I ran them through EZSkin3 with the new Cycles skin plug-in and used my own eye transparency texture.
    0_1479615459041_Jessi 1.jpg

• Are EZSkin3 and/or the cycles plug-in free to download, or do I have to buy either or both?

• I did download the two folders, but I do have one problem. I did what the installation instructions told me to do, but I cannot open the program. Could you please inform me how to install the program and where the corresponding files go?

Also, could you please let me know where the files for the Cycles add-on goes? It seems as if the instructions are not clear to me.

• @jonboy72 for the location of EZSkin3:

0_1479683684880_instalation.jpg

• I do know I did more the EZSkins3.pyc file to the ScriptsMenu folder, but what's the other .pyc file with the red beside it? I may not be able to find that one.

And how do I open the EZSkins3 program? Do I open it in Poser 11?

• Poser Ambassadors

@jonboy72 said in How to create photorealistic skin in Poser 11?:

How do I rotate the UV map on the left side to appear right-side up?

All of the keyboard shortcuts in the UV area of Blender are similar to the ones used elsewhere within the program.
    Most of the modelling ones are the same shortcuts in the UV area for selection, seams, etc.

These are the most frequently used short cuts while UVing.

G basically grab.
    Grab is very versatile, and many don't realize how powerful it is.
    Blender UV fully supports creating and modifying tiled UVs.
    The grid you unwrap too is also a 256 x256 grid.
    If you want to move something to the next tile to the right do the following:
    Select what you want to move to the next island. press G and key in 256 on the keypad.
    Poof, it is perfectly aligned on the next tile. ie 256, 512, 768, etc In 2 axes if needed
    Even if you are going to do stacked UV's, using this technique allows you to put it back exactly where is was before.
    You can UV map the whole thing at once this way, without changing selections in the main view.
    R yep, rotate
    Select the UV, or an island, and you can rotate it with the mouse, or key in the exact rotation on the keypad.
    S, scale.
    Fairly safe explanatory, and the keypad entry applies.

Many of these shortcuts can also be applied on different axes as well, just as you can when modeling.

Then you have all the ones that are listed in the menus as well.

Blender has a ton of shortcuts, and that can be extended even further with Addons and user UI mods.

Hope this helps

• @jonboy72 said in How to create photorealistic skin in Poser 11?:

I do know I did more the EZSkins3.pyc file to the ScriptsMenu folder, but what's the other .pyc file with the red beside it? I may not be able to find that one.

And how do I open the EZSkins3 program? Do I open it in Poser 11?

Sorry about the confusion. Ignore that other file it is for EZDome which is another free script that pretty much everybody uses for lighting scenes realistically. It is not part of the EZSkin3 script.

I believe you have to import the other file by opening EZSkin3 and importing the preset.

0_1479684773378_presets.jpg