Parenting Two Morphing Primitives

• Hi, Can anyone help me with how to parent these two morphing primitives together so as they go up and down with the morphs? Any assistance would be appreciated as I have been trying for weeks to solve this issue.Cheers
    0_1536373773440_Telescopic Primitive.jpg

• @arrow1 parenting alone can't do that for you. Parenting ties the relationship of the two objects' origins together, but has no awareness of how morphs affect the shape.

What you can do, is parent the upper cog to the telescoping shaft, then set up a value operation (assuming you have Poser Pro 11) on the cog's y-Tran dial to adjust it's value to match the morph on the telescoping shaft. The keyed valueOp is probably appropriate here.

In Poser Pro 11, you can select the telescoping primitive's telescope morph in the parameters palette, then choose Edit Dependencies... from the parameter's drop-down menu (triangle on the right). In the Dependency Editor palette, click Start Teaching, set the value to zero (or minimum), then choose the cog primitive and adjust it's Y translation until it touches the telescoping primitive where you want. That should add an entry to the dependencies for that parameter. Next, set the value to 1, or the maximum you want, and adjust the cog y translation to match the position, again. Once that's done, change the value to midway between minimum and maximum, and verify that the cog moves appropriately. If not, adjust the cog again (it should already be correct for a linear interpolation, but it's worth checking), and then click Stop Teaching, and you're done.

• Many thanks that sort of worked. If I want to add a figure say Victoria 4 etc to the cog, would I do it the same way? Cheers

• @arrow1 once you've parented the cog to the shaft, and have it's origin (which is affected by it's morph controlled y-translation) following the shaft telescoping, all you need to do to get V4 or any other figure to move with the cog, including rotations, is parent the figure to the cog. The figure will then follow the cog's origin and rotations.

• Many thanks I will give that a try.Cheers