PE hair dynamics help.

• I noticed that the hair that's included with PE has a dynamics section in the neck part. I cloth sim'd the neck, set the Dynamics option to 1 and the Prep for Cloth setting to 1 and tried a sim for 30 frames. Frame 30 the hair didn't really fall the way I thought it would so I did 15 drape frames. The drape frames look great but then the dynamic simulation gets wonky again.

Are there any tips or steps I need to take to get the hair to lay right? I'm sure I missed something simple. ha

• @johndoe641 I don't know if this will help, as I've never tried creating strand hair, or even a portion of a hair set created in the Hair Room, but I do a lot of beta testing, and one of the CAs over at HiveWire recently submitted to the store some Steampunk Clothes for Dawn and Pauline 2, including strand hair for each he had created.

The instructions he gave me was to sim all the clothing pieces that are dynamic, save the scene, and then select the hair, or in this case, maybe just the Neck bone you mentioned, and then go to the Animation menu, and select Recalculate Dynamics – All Hair.

Whether that would work on just the area you want it to work on, or whether it needs to be used on totally dynamic hair, I can't say for sure, as this was the first time I had ever played with it. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it does work with just the selected section of the hair.

• Thanks for the tips, I gave it a try but unfortunately the hair doesn't seem to be considered strand hair. The other recalculate option did work on the hair but it just went in weird directions again. Is there a way to make 15 frames of draped hair into an actual pose? It looks just fine draped, but the draping never seems to stay if I close and open the scene again.

• @johndoe641 I haven't done much with dynamic hair, except in this one instance, so don't know for sure. I do know when running a sim of dynamic clothing, when it's done, and you're satisfied, there's a way to move it to the first frame and save it, though in that case I'm not sure if it's a morph or pose that can be saved, besides the scene itself of course. I only did it once, and it's been a while.

It does make opening the scene up again with the final sim right there in Frame 1, and you don't have to go to Frame 30 (or whatever your final frame number is) to get the finished sim.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a long-ish SF render, so can't check it out for you. I'm surprised no one else where has stepped up to the plate, but if you're not in a big rush, I can check it out later and get back to you.

• This hair isn't strand based hair. you would need to do a cloth simulation on it. I tried and found it didn't work. it wanted to follow the poses for the body parts. I didn't try parenting it, rather than conforming it. It does seem strange that it has a drape dial in it.

• @redphantom That does sound strange. Which hair is it?

• @redphantom Ooops, I actually meant to ask @johndoe641 that question.

• @miss-b said in PE hair dynamics help.:

@redphantom That does sound strange. Which hair is it?

It's the hair that's included with PE. It's a regular prop hair with a dynamic setting in the neck part. You can clothify the neck area and let it sim but the hair fringes on the front parts of the hair don't behave right and they end up sticking out in front almost straight up sometimes. Other sim attempts the hair in the back goes wild and I have no idea why this is happening. All I use in my renders is dynamic clothing, so I'm used to the cloth room but this I'm totally lost on.

• @johndoe641 I admit I have not played with this, but I remember reading that care must be taken with dynamics on PE to exclude all of the ghost bones from the simulation.

• @johndoe641 said in PE hair dynamics help.:

@miss-b said in PE hair dynamics help.:

@redphantom That does sound strange. Which hair is it?

It's the hair that's included with PE. It's a regular prop hair with a dynamic setting in the neck part. You can clothify the neck area and let it sim but the hair fringes on the front parts of the hair don't behave right and they end up sticking out in front almost straight up sometimes. Other sim attempts the hair in the back goes wild and I have no idea why this is happening. All I use in my renders is dynamic clothing, so I'm used to the cloth room but this I'm totally lost on.

Ahhhh, OK. I haven't played with PE's included hair. I always use one of Biscuits newer hair products with PE fits on her.