I Have a Legal Question...

• I don't know how many of you have ever seen the show Star Trek: Voyager, but just in case you haven't, here's a couple of images of the vessel.

0_1536580527609_23a53efd-7eef-4531-8d1f-378ef0cbbd75-image.png

0_1536580575153_e83677a4-5ecc-4530-872f-9f9cfcd08e04-image.png

Voyager is, of course , a franchise of Star Trek which Paramount owns and really, the show itself isn't that old. IMDB lists it has coming out in 1995 and last show was in 2001. Frankly, I don't believe that date.

All of this is relevant, I promise.

I wrote a book called City Beneath the Sea. You may have seen the Cover:
    0_1536581101463_c13e56a0-47b4-4bd2-817c-bfbe17116575-image.png

So, here's the thing. I promise you, that my ship design predates Voyager. Amazon says my book was first published in 2001, which actually might be true, but at any rate, my ship's design wasn't stolen from Voyager. If anything, It was actually borrowed from SeaQuest.

So, anyway, I'm thinking of reviving the design on a 3d model. Do you think I might have a problem with Paramount if I do?

• @eclark1849 A little more info: You might wonder why the worry, they don't look that much alike. And that's true to a point. My ship is a submarine. In part, it's design is based on fluid dynamics. To reduce drag, but I didn't want a featureless ship, but I couldn't model back then. The design you see on the book cover was the best I could do at the time with Poser and Bryce 3D. I want to try and improve the design.

• @eclark1849 I would not worry about it.

• @eclark1849
    I agree, you shouldn't have any real issue here with copyright as long as you don't start with the Voyager model as an obvious reference point, giving your own design many similar features to the Voyager model. As this could put your ship in the area of being considered as a derivative and require licencing. General shape is not going to get you into too much trouble. Most copyright cases tend to come down to how deep your pockets are and not how long ago you can prove your initial idea was conceived, so be careful there.

You might have some real issues if your book was called 'Sea Voyager' and the ship was referred to as the 'USS Sea Voyager', which featured a detachable saucer section that is Captained by a powerful redhead named Captain Sameway. But this would likely give you issues even if the ship used looked nothing like the original Voyager whatsoever.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice...

• @razor42 Thanks Razor and Ghostship. To be honest, I've have borrowed liberally from lots of designs, real and fictional. I did think of having nacelle-like protrusions from the body of the boat to provide the ship's propulsion but decided against that for several reasons. Too much surface area creating drag, cavitation, which can be both damaging and loud, both unwanted on a submarine, and, of course, the fact that it would indeed be a blatant rip off of star trek.

• @eclark1849 and, of course, you'd be better off using MHD propulsion, like Tom Clancy's Red October ;-)

• @anomalaus I'm thinking more of hydrojet propulsion.

• I don't see a problem here, mate
    would have been different if you have the phaser banks lit in blue and red
    nope, relax

• @posebaker Heh. No phaser banks, but there will be torpedoes, missiles and lasers. She's basically a research vessel, but the Nautilus can take care of itself in a fight.

• @eclark1849

Jules Verne thought really about everything, His tech is just out of this world.
    Captain Nemo vs Kathryn Janeway - what a great Star Trek Episode that would be; perhaps with a guest annoyance like "Q".
    oh man...