Where to Find and License Poser Models (characters, buildings, materials & more)

• Smith Micro is going to be shutting down Content Paradise on November 12, 2018 based on information shared publicly. They are encouraging Content Paradise vendors to move over to Renderosity.

Not that there is anything wrong with Renderosity, but many vendors selected Content Paradise for a number of reasons. While I encourage anyone selling on Content Paradise to take a look at what Rendo has to offer (and yes, Meshbox Design has had an account there for a very long time - 2002?), I think it would do the community well if there was a list here with vendor names and links to their own websites so you can also order directly from them. If you are a Poser supporting vendor, feel free to reply to this post with your site information. Hopefully Smith Micro will do the community a positive and not remove this post, but rather encourage all supporters of Poser.

• @meshbox
    Can you give us a pointer to your source of information?

• Poser Ambassadors

This is surprising news to me. I'm not expert on CP or SM goings-on, but Googling turns up nothing except this thread and another in Moho forum where user "DK" claims to have received "a letter" about this.

https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32304

I am wondering if you got pranked. I know how to send emails from anybody to anybody, and unless you know how to track down the truth, you wouldn't know it came from me. If I know how, others know how.

• @bagginsbill It's on other forums, from other vendors at CP who have likewise been notified.

Here's Ken and Faery_Light from Hivewire saying the same thing: https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/content-paradise-is-shutting-down.3138/

• @bagginsbill the Twitter and FB Channels for Content Paradise and Smith Micro seem devoid of any notice of this, as are Smith Micro's own blogs.

Not that it's relevant here, but one of my biggest career gripes has been hearing information which directly affects employees from third parties who should not have been informed ahead of staff. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour from management, if this is the case!

• Poser Ambassadors

@glitterati3d Thanks. Seeing HW Chris acknowledge it is pretty good confirmation.

• One wonders what will happen to freebie and other products from deceased vendors like D3D (Ralph Sessler, though he may have kin or inheritors who can step in) who are not able to personally submit products for QAV?

• @fverbaas If ye look far enough, eventually ye shall find.

Many vendors have confirmed receiving an email on other social media.

• @meshbox
    I can confirm it. I don't advertise it much, but I do have a few products for sale as a vendor on CP and I did receive the letter. I wasn't going to say anything about it, knowing SM's penchant for secrecy, but since Meshbox let it out of the bag, I will confirm that CP has plans to shut down the store on Nov. 12, 2018.

• @eclark1849 I didn't actually get the email that others have received, but learned about it via social media yesterday.

• @anomalaus D3D already has products at Renderosity, so his estate managers must be taking care of business there.

• @meshbox
    On looking back I found a message from yesterday in my inbox headed:
    'Renderosity will now become the official Poser content marketplace!'
    I admit I had seen it but stopped reading when the text mostly was about Rendo offering some advantages if you would become a vendor there. That CP would be closing down is not said but in a single sentence in the 6th paragraph, by which time I had already long lost interest because the terms offered by Rendo are much worse than CP's: Rendo takes 50% larger split, you do not have direct control over your stuff and there is much more fuss in general. Zero price support items are stuffed away into a 'freebie' area not offered along with the pay stuffs.

• @f_verbaas said in Where to Find and License Poser Models (characters, buildings, materials & more):

@meshbox
    On looking back I found a message from yesterday in my inbox headed:
    'Renderosity will now become the official Poser content marketplace!'
    I admit I had seen it but stopped reading when the text mostly was about Rendo offering some advantages if you would become a vendor there. That CP would be closing down is not said but in a single sentence in the 6th paragraph, by which time I had already long lost interest because the terms offered by Rendo are much worse than CP's: Rendo takes 50% larger split, you do not have direct control over your stuff and there is much more fuss in general. Zero price support items are stuffed away into a 'freebie' area not offered along with the pay stuffs.

But your freebies can (and will) link to your "For sale" items

• @f_verbaas said in Where to Find and License Poser Models (characters, buildings, materials & more):

I am not seeing the advantage of having a 50% margin (down from 70%) with greatly increased touch costs and no promotion of my products.

I wonder how many vendors (other than the top sellers) could have economically prospered if they earned 70% instead of 50%.

But I have always told other vendors they need to also sell direct. Brokerages have their own business models that are first and foremost about themselves. If you are exclusive to them, then your fate is in the hands of those that do not put your interests first. That is why so many developers that create iOS apps can go from successes to penury with a slight change in Apple policy.

• EClark has a fairly comprehensive list of Poser vendors put together and has set up a site for it... there's a thread about it here... https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2170/list-of-poser-vendors/579

• @trekkiegrrrl said in Where to Find and License Poser Models (characters, buildings, materials & more):

But your freebies can (and will) link to your "For sale" items
    Yup but not the other way around. It reduces the attraction of a commercial offering this way. I can imagine people are more stimulated to buy if they see the wealth of supporting stuff available at zero price that therefore is sort of 'in the deal'. It improves the offer. Coming form the zero price entry the price for the 'pay' item comes as high and therefore makes the offer less attractive, unless one sees the 'complete offer' with other supporting stuff.
    It is just a mattter of perception

• @theschell yes, of course, but we can also support lists of lists.

• @meshbox Indeed we can... for what it's worth my products that were here on CP will still be available on Vanishing Point and through my own site, Schell's Armour Works, at www.schells.ca...

0_1537154905342_SchellsArmourWorksBanner.JPG

• Poser Ambassadors

Although I am a moderator at Renderosity and support the site ... I honestly would like to see a Poser Only marketplace somewhere. Or a better separation at Rendo. I just don't care for DS. Not even about the politics, just ... don't.

• @boni I REALLY had a thing against DS at one time. So much so that I still don't particularly like it. Trouble is, I actually LIKE some of the things that DS can do, so my problem isn't that it's not good software. I just don't care for the way it was introduced. THAT SAID, I also have to lay the blame for Poser's current market status, SQUARELY at the feet of SM. To that end, I honestly believe that SM has actually held Poser's development back. I'm not saying it was done intentionally, but I AM saying it was done.