SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!

• We love it. Its important, we need the marketplace diversity. We need the Poser focus. We NEED the competition.
    POSER USERS PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORTTO CP TODAY!!

• I'm also very sad at the news. I looked through my wishlist and did a rough count of how much it would cost me to buy all that probably won't transfer, content from vendors who don't seem to have added anything new and only support older figures, and came up with a total of about 500usd.
    Now I know I may well not be typical, compared to many people on this forum I'm a new user, only having started with Poser 10, and do fairly big scenes, maximum to date being about 20 dressed non lorez figures, and like to use as much variety as possible, so I'm worried much of this older content will just disappear.

• I don't know who is responsible for this absolutely stupid idea, but I think they need to have their heads examined... shutting down the Content Paradise part of the site is probably the worst idea I've heard in a long while!

I sell products through CP via my brokerage agreement with Vanishing Point (have been doing this for several years now), and it is the second largest source of revenue I take in from my products. I have some of my products available on Rendo, but due to the absolutely massive volume in their market-place I make almost no sales, and when I do I make almost nothing after they take their disconts and cut (if I'm lucky I see 2-6$ on a 20$ item). There are so many products there, that it is almost impossible for anyone other than top sellers to get any notice what-so-ever (and I can speak from some direct experience on this one).

The home of Poser should also be the primary place to find content for the program, not some 3rd party site that will bury products in a massive list that makes them hard or impossible to find. What are the people at SM thinking?!!

• @theschell In case you aren't aware, VanishingPoint has a store at HiveWire, so you might consider bringing some of your wonderful spacecraft over to HW.

• @theschell While I disagree about the idea of shutting down CP, (I'd be happy to explain myself if anyone is interested), I'm not exactly happy with the choice of Renderosity as the official Poser content store. My personal belief is that is a mistake that will come back to bite SM in the ass.

• @eclark1849 said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

@theschell While I disagree about the idea of shutting down CP, (I'd be happy to explain myself if anyone is interested), I'm not exactly happy with the choice of Renderosity as the official Poser content store. My personal belief is that is a mistake that will come back to bite SM in the ass.

I know there were and are issues with CP, but a better idea than closing it and migrating everything to Rendo would be to just fix the issues with CP, making it better for customers and vendors alike, and give it a more active life... While I'm sure this move is good for the pocket-books of both SM and Rendo, I am tired of the big sites making like everything they do is in the best interests of the "community" while screwing everyone in the process... But what would I know, I'm just a lowly content creator and member of the community...

• My suspicion is SM looked at their books and realized they should either close shop or merge with someone. As a buyer, I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I guess the current group dont remember well what happened to their last official forum and that was a fairly poser centtic site... until daz just bought it out from under them.
    Renderosity has a very dwindling poser presence as it is. Cant see this ending well for poser users.
    More writing on the wall is what i see.

Is the smith micro content moving to renderosity as well or will it be sold direct from their online store?

• @miss-b said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

@theschell In case you aren't aware, VanishingPoint has a store at HiveWire, so you might consider bringing some of your wonderful spacecraft over to HW.

I'll have to discuss that with VP... it's gotta be better than Rendo...

• @kittybrown said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

I guess the current group dont remember well what happened to their last official forum and that was a fairly poser centtic site... until daz just bought it out from under them.
    Renderosity has a very dwindling poser presence as it is. Cant see this ending well for poser users.
    More writing on the wall is what i see.

Is the smith micro content moving to renderosity as well or will it be sold direct from their online store?

I know too many people that got burned by DAZ when they bought out that other site... how many came here to sell after that mess I wonder... and now it's gonna happen here too, which I'm sure isn't gonna make many vendors happy, I know I'm not! These companies just don't seem to get that without content creators and vendors there would be no content and that would render their programs useless...

• I realize sellers and buyers have different needs, and I can only speak for myself, but I buy almost nothing from CP because it never has big sales. I have a wishlist there—if those items are available in one of Rendo's major sales, I'll snap them up.

• @willshetterly said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

I realize sellers and buyers have different needs, and I can only speak for myself, but I buy almost nothing from CP because it never has big sales. I have a wishlist there—if those items are available in one of Rendo's major sales, I'll snap them up.

Rendo also gives buyers "reward points" for every purchase, and those reward points add up to $5 or $10 coupons. That's a huge incentive (for me at least) to buy as much as possible through Rendo rather than anywhere else. I really wanted to buy Project Evolution to support her creator, but I didn't do so until she was available at Renderosity for that very reason.

I do wish the HiveWire store would do something similar with its "points" system, so that the store could be a more viable competitor to Rendo (on the theory that competition is good for both parties). But the way it is now, I have thousands of points at the HW Store but can only use a teeny tiny amount of them towards a purchase, and that's not much in the way of incentive!

• @perpetualrevision said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

I do wish the HiveWire store would do something similar with its "points" system, so that the store could be a more viable competitor to Rendo (on the theory that competition is good for both parties). But the way it is now, I have thousands of points at the HW Store but can only use a teeny tiny amount of them towards a purchase, and that's not much in the way of incentive!

Well, maybe on a single item purchase it seems very small, but I've purchased several products at a time, and the points do add up.

• With the exception the actual program I've bought a lot more items from Rendo than CP. Then
    again I've bought more poser items from DAZ than CP.

• I've never liked the current CP. It has a realy bad web site design and a confusing navigation. I still miss the old first CP. True. It is a loss, of every site shutting down. We are loosing diversity.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is still HW out there. Small but great store with a very nice staff. Could become a new home for all the vendors who don't want to sell on the huge market place Renderosity.
    CP i buy not often. What bugs me that when you don't pay extra, you could not download your files anymore in case of disaster.

• I suggest if you want to keep Content Paradise around, upvoting the original post might send a message.

• I'm more concerned with Poser itself or if Renderosity will buy Poser and what would happen with our Poser License
    just on a side-note; is this some urge of Renderosity vs DAZ3D ?

• I think the reason was made clear in the "Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity" thread.

"This effort will give us the opportunity to maximize the value that this partnership will create for the community, and our future efforts on enhancing the Poser software."

Maintaining a content website takes manpower and money. Being that SM is a software company first, its primary goal is to focus on software development. If you have a "lean and mean" team, it makes sense to focus their efforts on new and enhanced software features rather than maintaining a content web site. Putting the content side of things in the hands of people who have been doing that for years makes sense.

No conspiracy theories that I can see.

• @deecey said in SM, Please don't shutdown Content Paradise!:

I think the reason was made clear in the "Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity" thread.

I believe they should explore outsourcing or joint venture options that would maintain Content Paradise as an independent store, whether designated the official home of Poser or not. The branding, pagerank, backlinbks and existing Poser & other software application hard-coded links alone make a good case for keeping CP intact, however its most necessary to maintain market stability by keeping the cornerstone marketplace competition in check. CP is the largest store focusing on social media and casual customers with affordable offerings by both professional & amateur content creators.
    There are 3 primary legs on the consumer 3d markletplaces, each with a respectable pagerank of 5. The market was stronger with 4 (RDNA), but this market will surly wobble with 2.

FWIW I suggest divesting CP from SM or least the software division P&L and seek outsourcing for the management. There are so many options today and with next generation 3d content uses on the horizon I cant imaging snuffing a business in today's blistering hot environment. The business developers at SM need to take their own medicine and get creative! Get tough, think bold and out of the box. This industry needs to get thier head out of the traditional graphics artist market and sniff the opportunities the current investments already afford. It only takes a small effort to movce into new markets if you get creative where to put the lever.