Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity

• Global Moderator

To the Poser Community and our valued Smith Micro Software Customers:

We have been actively reviewing how to better support this great community of Poser content creators, vendors, and customers. After taking into consideration a wide variety of factors, Smith Micro has decided to form a new and stronger Strategic Partnership with Renderosity.

We are very excited to announce that Renderosity will now become the official Poser content marketplace! Furthermore, Renderosity and Smith Micro will increase their collaboration on spearheading efforts to improve the Poser content ecosystem.

As a result, we will be shutting down the Content Paradise marketplace on November 12, 2018, and moving our own content to Renderosity. This effort will give us the opportunity to maximize the value that this partnership will create for the community, and our future efforts on enhancing the Poser software.

We appreciate the contributions you have made with us over the life of Content Paradise, and are looking forward to this new and exciting journey for the whole Poser community.

Thank you!
    The Team at Smith Micro Software, Inc.

• I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I do have one major concern...

When CP went through changes years ago I lost more than half my purchased content, SM assured me that it wouldn't happen again. What will happen to the items purchased through CP now that it is closing?

• Poser Ambassadors

@johndoe641 said in Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I do have one major concern...

When CP went through changes years ago I lost more than half my purchased content, SM assured me that it wouldn't happen again. What will happen to the items purchased through CP now that it is closing?

This is a good question.

Makes me wonder if purchase history will migrate, or just disappear.

• @smithmicro said in Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity:

To the Poser Community and our valued Smith Micro Software Customers:
    future efforts on enhancing the Poser software.

So does this mean there will be a new Poser? How about all the bugs and errors your new team instituted in Poser 11.1? Will those ever be repaired?

How about cluing us here in your own forum about the future of Poser while you're here screwing all your vendors.

• Poser Ambassadors

Whats next? Closing this forum and everyone go to Rendo?

At 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load at Rendo, no thanks.....

• Poser Ambassadors

But by all means, remain silent.....

• @shvrdavid said in Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity:

But by all means, remain silent.....

I think their silence speaks volumes....

First, they screwed their employees
    Now, they've screwed their vendors
    There's nothing left but the customers.

• @shvrdavid said in Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity:

Whats next? Closing this forum and everyone go to Rendo?

At 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load at Rendo, no thanks.....

Ahhh, that's only on a "good" day. I've waited a minute or more for the Renderosity forum pages to load.

• Poser Ambassadors

I got the email about moving stuff to Rendo.

Here is the problem thou.

Rendo stuff goes thru QA.

That will take ages if everyone sends their stuff.
    Worse yet, if they have to make changes, now you have new versions with no upgrade path for previous purchasers.

• @shvrdavid Ohhhh, hadn't thought of that, but yes, that will definitely slow things down to a crawl assuming, of course, the product makes it through QA at all. The upgrade path for previous purchasers will definitely be lost.

• @shvrdavid Are you no longer on the PoserTeam?

• Poser Ambassadors

Nope.....

• @shvrdavid That's a definite shame. ~frown~

• My biggest issue with all of this is the same one I had at DAZ when they made all their changes... They give this glowing statement about how everything is being done for the benefit of the "community" while in the process lining their own pockets at the expense of the community they claim to be bettering.

I am certain this move is great for SM (it frees them up from having to deal with vendors, content, and a market-place site), and for Rendo (it will certainly put a lot more cash in their pockets), but lets call it like it is instead of gushing about how much this will benefit the community. It won't, and certainly won't help the vendors and content creators who stand to lose money in sales when Rendo takes their cut... and that means a loss for the community as a whole when not all content gets migrated and when vendors leave because they don't wish to sell through the other site...

• Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it a GOOD thing for products to go through a QA process? The better the QA process a store has, the more likely I am to purchase from them! I've bought a few things from CP that really should've gone through better QA.

• Poser Ambassadors

If they have thousands of people to do the QA, sure.
    Then it wont take years... to go thru the thousands upon thousands of items at CP.

My guess is that most of the items wont go to Rendo, they will just go away...

• Make your purchases now, and back them up big time. Even if Rendo bypasses the QA testing and the content migrates, the prices will go up. Rendo has a minimum price for things, CP doesn't.

I'm also remembering the Daz/ RNDA merger and how "wonderful" that turned out. I know these are 2 different companies, and rendo isn't buying out SM (unless it's the other way around) but I still have a bad feeling.

• This is a sad day for Poser. Renderosity, going on the emails I receive, are doing the best to promote DAZ Studio content, not Poser content.

• @redphantom It's more than a feeling. Just go look at the DAZ vendor list. Almost every one of the RDNA vendors that got sold to DAZ like slaves has been culled from the DAZ store already - including Syyd!!!

• @Glitterati3D
    I see so Smith Micro decides to merge their store front with Renderosity's, a store that has an already existing partnership with SM for years now. Great time to start some DAZ bashing, right?

No RDNA vendor was "sold" to DAZ, many made the transition to a new store front and many chose to go their own way, there is nothing sinister in that. There was no forced exclusivity agreements with RDNA vendors, connected with the sale/merge of RDNA or in any other circumstance, each vendor was free to decide where they wanted to submit their products and where they wanted to sell there own existing libraries.

And was Syyd "culled", that is not my understanding of what happened. The Daz Store lists 160 products under a PA named Syyd? So please tell me more about this mass "culling" of RDNA vendors? Sounds like a great story...