Clip Studio Paint 1.5.5?

• I have heard on the japanese csp twitter account (@clip_celsys) that clip studio paint has a new update released already. When will it be released for us western customers?

This update is kind of a big deal as aside from major improvements and new functions, it will also add 4 component blend modes that is being anticipated for a while (Hue, Saturation, Color and Luminosity). This is a huge update for us that I can't really wait for it, as Photoshop stinks at painting, but we are stuck with it because of those blending modes, particularly Color and Luminosity.

Thanks for the help!

• Will let you know as soon as I get more info!

• Thanks! Can't wait for the update!!!

• Still no idea when next update happens?

Normally a bit more patient but after being patient about them implementing the colour layer mode for years now and knowing it exists...

• @nyvinter I think the Japanese version is still at ver.1.5.6. We usually see an upgrade in the English version after five or so upgrades to the Japanese version. Unless there's a change to that usual pattern I expect the English upgrade to happen around ver.1.5.9 - ver.1.6.0.

• Oh - I'm wrong. It looks like the Japanese version of CSP will release ver.1.6.0. on July 14th. Hopefully this means we'll be seeing the update soon.

• One can hope, but the speed in which they do localisations are terrible so I'm going to guess in August at earliest.

• I haven't received a definitive answer as to when we'll be seeing the English version 1.6 from Celsys. And yes, the localization process is what takes the longest. When I get more info, I will let you know.

• "We usually see an upgrade in the English version after five or so upgrades to the Japanese version."

Such a bad upgrade policy they invented, it is not like the JP version will update like clockwork, and even when the JP version reaches one of those "5 or so" points it still takes quite some time for the EN version to come out, AND it is still "5 or so" versions behind.
    Just awful for a professional software.
    Those are not even betas, "5 or so" real releases behind, months of delay.
    What happens when they reach a stable, let's say, 1.6.4 version and start developing a 2.0 version?

When they started this policy it didn't bother me, but the more time it passes the more horrible it looks.

A translation delay is understandable, but they should deliver as soon as it is finished, not wait for a artificial goal post.

This upgrade policy actually destroyed my "extra fanboy-ism" (still have "normal fanboy-ism") towards CSP.
    Before I would feel almost insulted when people said the "Photoshop is the best for digital painting" (what a joke) and would present CSP as the MUCH better option (still is, of course).
    Now I'll just close the browser tab.
    Can't get all fanboy-ish when you know the other software gets updated constantly, while the one you like is always stuck in some weird update limbo you can't even explain.

CSP is the ONLY software that I've seen in 30+ years that has this policy, and it became a real minus IMO.

• @garlam I read the Japanese site (google translated) and it says that the update will be at July 28, not July 14. July 14th is prob the date of the announcement.

http://www.clip-studio.com/clip_site/mypage/newsdetail?publish=201607&f=2016071402

@pottering I understand the frustration, I really do. But at the same time, this is a FREE update where as Photoshop charges you monthly for major updates that in reality, only happen every year. I can understand why they do not update the english versions every single update as localization takes some dough. It's just that this blending mode update in particular is so major and so anticipated for a long time now that we can be understandably impatient about it.

• Main problem is that it is not a one-time wait for one version that got delayed, it is every single time. Well, it is continuous, actually.

Last time had a anticipated feature as well (animation).

I am not complaining about the software itself, just this policy of delaying up to 4 updates in the international versions.

BTW, it is possible that "after 5 JP versions" means after 5 JP versions being released, not matter the version number, so they may actually not release a international version of this 1.6.0 update.

That's another annoying thing, it is not even an official policy(*) with announced rules they are supposed to abide to.
    It is just a "Maybe it will be released. Maybe."

(*) And what's even the official policy? I'll check the EULA some other day (not today though).

• Having us wait for several JP updates to be released before an English update is released isn't an official policy. It's just what I've noticed since MS5 was first released. I don't know why the wait happens, I don't know what goes into getting it ready for the English version, but we just got the 1.5.4 update a few months ago. Expecting the JP 1.5.5 update to be released in English so soon after Eng 1.5.4 just wasn't realistic given how updates have been released in the past. When the JP 1.5.5 update info was released it was big news because of the color mode addition but I still didn't expect to see it until a month after 1.6.0 was released in Japan.

• Well, I guess the only reason it bothered me is that I lurk this and the runtimedna forums, so I actually hear about those new features in the new JP versions.

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes...

• C'moooon Celsys

• ^^^^ yes please!

smith micro please!

• waitingwantingwaiting O_O

I think I'll scream and punch the air when the update is finally released. I have been waiting for the addition of Color Mode ever since the official English version hit the market. The wait has been a painful one. As pottering said earlier, "Ignorance is bliss..."

• And the 1.6 one has pen pressure option for opacity. So yeah, really hope we get an update soon. Both of these are far more crucial to a drawing program than animation IMO.

• @nyvinter said in Clip Studio Paint 1.5.5?:

And the 1.6 one has pen pressure option for opacity. So yeah, really hope we get an update soon. Both of these are far more crucial to a drawing program than animation IMO.

Forreals? DARN HURRY UP SMITH MICRO!!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme!

• @dropkick_tm said in Clip Studio Paint 1.5.5?:

@nyvinter said in Clip Studio Paint 1.5.5?:

And the 1.6 one has pen pressure option for opacity. So yeah, really hope we get an update soon. Both of these are far more crucial to a drawing program than animation IMO.

Forreals? DARN HURRY UP SMITH MICRO!!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme!

I must have overlooked that one. Now there's something else for me to "wait patiently" for. /sigh/

• I wonder if the updates are related to the "please Authorise" dialogs I got opening CSP today? Did anyone else get those? It used to be you could install MS on a couple of home computers, provided you only used one at a time. That might be changing perhaps?