Select on Universe and boom goes Poser everytime

• wicked sarcasm flag is raised

I will now teach you how to crash Poser Pro 11 consistently - open Hierarchy menu, click on Universe. Boom ! You just crashed Poser. Good job. So much fun.

• @ibr_remote I was told, when I reported this on 7th January 2018, that it was a know [sic] issue and will be addressed in a future update.

• @ibr_remote I've come to the conclusion that there is some programmers' cabal, somewhere in cyberspace, that dictates that every piece of commercial software must have the equivalent of a divide by zero bug deliberately incorporated somewhere. Maybe it will never come to light. That's OK. Maybe it can be used as a technique by programmers fearful for their continued employment to persuade their superiors to the need for their continued employment. Maybe I'm just cynical ;-)

[Edict from a Jealous God: "Don't mess with the UNIVERSE!"]

• I will check that later this day.
    It can be seen as an Off switch, if it works regulary, it is a feature not a bug.

• Jep, it works like a swiss clockwork.

• This is odd, since I often click on UNIVERSE in the Hierarchy Editor, and my PP11 never crashes.

Then again, I'm still on version 11.0.7.33999, so this may have turned up in a later 11.0.x or 11.1 version.

• it was something that started with the last update.

• @redphantom that was certainly when I noticed it beginning. I'm always using the UNIVERSE actor, normally because it's the only actor in a scene that one can guarantee will be present when a Python script is run. I learned from the great PhilC that it was a good place to store global setting parameters that both a Python script and the user can access and communicate with, rather than having to have lots of different scripts just to change the way a main script operates.

In my case, I have a flag called SetEyes, on the UNIVERSE actor, which tells a camera aiming script whether or not to aim the selected figure's eyes at the camera (converging, so the figure goes cross-eyed if the camera is really close), after the camera has been aimed along the average eye vector. Very useful for portrait style renders.

It's now impossible for me to just select the UNIVERSE actor in the hierarchy editor and adjust SetEyes with the Parameters palette. I have to resort to Python commands in the shell, which takes more typing effort than resetting a parameter value.

poser.Scene().Actor('UNIVERSE').Parameter('SetEyes').SetValue(0,1)

Possible, but not convenient.

• @redphantom said in Select on Universe and boom goes Poser everytime:

it was something that started with the last update.

OK, that explains why I've never seen that happen.

• I used to use it all the time for hiding everything in the scene. Where I tend to put several figures into a scene it came in handy. Now I have to hide them each. That gets to be a pain when you have several people plus clothes in a scene. I know I can select several from the hierarchy menu, and hide them all at once, but it's still a pain.

I also had a few scenes where the universe was selected and Poser would crash on loading them. I was able to hack most of them in notepad++ and change the selected actor to ground. Others were old enough they didn't use any poser 11 features so I opened them in an older version and fixed it. One scene is too big to open in notepad++ or wordpad and has superfly shaders so I don't want to open it in pp2014. I keep hoping it will be fixed, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

• @redphantom I can probably get you a quick python script that will parse the scene file and change the selected actor, but it will have to wait for a few hours while I’m away from my computer.

• That would be awesome. Thank you. I thought I'd have to re-create the scene. I've been waiting for nine months to be able to open it. I can wait until you have time. That's no problem.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yup, tried that here and it indeed crashed Poser 11.1. Maybe the mouse is not big enough hold the entire UNIVERSE? LOL Lucky us that selecting Universe is not something we would normally do, so it's not a showstopper. :)

However, deleting objects or lights using scripts can easily crash Poser. That's a bigger bummer.

• @redphantom just a quick search for 'Windows 10 free editor for large files' gave a few possibilities:

EditPad Lite - Free Text Editor for Windows
    https://www.editpadlite.com/
    Large file and long line support. ... Direct editing of text files using Windows, UNIX, and mac Mac text encodings (code pages) and line breaks. ... EditPad is one of the few programs that has free reign over my PC—I configured ZoneAlarm to let ...

EmEditor (Text Editor) – Text Editor for Windows supporting large files ...
    https://www.emeditor.com/
    The text editor supports powerful macros, Unicode, and very large files. Emurasoft's timeless ... Best Apps category. EmEditor has also earned Windows 10 certification from Microsoft. ... EmEditor Free & EmEditor Professional. User interface ...

Free Large File Editor - Liquid XML
    https://www.liquid-technologies.com/large-file-editor
    A Free Large File Editor providing the ability to open and edit huge files (Gigabyte, ... displayed, so it's fast, lightweight and able to run on a low specification PC.

Any of those might be suitable, I didn't realise Notepad++ couldn't handle large files, because that's what I've used when dual booted into Windows 10. It opens gzip compressed files (which is what Poser uses for compression) transparently, so you don't even notice they're compressed, except for the file extension.

What you need to search for and replace is:

pickActor UNIVERSE

You could probably just delete that line (in a copy of the scene file, of course) and Poser would cope, but there's no telling what it would select, maybe nothing, and you'd see "No Figure No Actor" at the top of the scene window.

Probably better would be to choose the MAIN_CAMERA, so change the line to:

pickActor MAIN_CAMERA

you could try that with one of the other, large file editors, again using a copy of the scene file, before I've had a chance to test my script.

I would be interested to hear what Notepad++ reported when you tried to open the scene file.

• My favorite plain text editor is NoteTab Light, which is the freeware version of NoteTab Standard and NoteTab Pro (both now available in one product for $39.95). I've been using it for decades, and find it very useful, especially since I can have numerous documents open at the same time, and if I close NoteTab, it will remember exactly what documents I had opened, and will reopen them, with the cursor at the last point where I was editing. I find that very, VERY, useful. You can also view two documents at the same time for comparison purposes.

What it's limitation as far as document size is, I have no idea, but I think it's worth it to try out . . . especially since it's free. The first download link on the page is for the trial version of the pay-for version, but just below it is the download link for the Light version

NoteTab Light

• So clicking the eye on Universe crashes Poser? Yep. Can confirm.

• @trekkiegrrrl wouldn't that be your reaction too, to being poked in the eye ;-) Let's all be thankful the collateral damage isn't worse!

• I can confirm that this DOES NOT HAPPEN with version 11.0.7.33999

• It also doesn't happen in PP2014 SR3, nor any previous versions.
    I used to use the UINIVERSE actor to set up some master parameters for scene lighting etc, so I should have noticed.

K

• Thanks, anomalaus, I'll try one of those.