Any Issues with Poser 11 Pro with MacOS Mojave?

• Has anyone done the upgrade? I’m bummed that Griffin’s expressions magic software will stop working. Thanks for any wisdom.

• @robzhena not yet, sorry. I'm on unsupported hardware at the moment (mid-2011 27" iMac). I've played with High Sierra, and since I upgraded my boot SSD to 1TB, I now have a spare SSD I can try APFS on. There will probably be a hack at some point that will let me convince the upgrade Apps to install on my hardware, but I'm going to try the Continuity upgrades first, to see if I can get handoff working with iPhoneSE. If that works, it may be worth trying Mojave.

• @anomalaus High Sierra initially broke python, which is one reason I ask!

• @robzhena ooh, I hadn't noticed that. What version did it come installed with, or do you mean Poser Python?

• @robzhena we currently have a far worse broken Python situation with Poser, since the bundled openSSL only comes with TLSv1.0 which is refused connections by all the PyPI servers since April 2018. I desperately hope that SMS will include a more recent Python bundle in the next major Poser release, otherwise the situation will be even worse.

• Poser Team

@anomalaus I believe we addressed the Python TLS issue in 11.1.1 which is only now heading to beta (I think). I do remember attempting to fix this issue personally. The problem is that Python 2.7.1 is "destined for the bin" and Poser's scripts are all written in it. You can guess what this may mean in the long run. We will continue to ship legacy Poser versions with 2.7.1 until we decide how to replace it. We will not be updating Python because Python 2.x is discontinued :/

We have tested in Mojave and haven't yet seen any issues.

• @h-elwood-gilliland excellent! I’m planning to submit another feature request that Poser’s Python bundle include the OpenEXR package, so we can merge area renders with full renders to allow them to be saved as .hdr or .exr files, which is currently not possible. If I’d discovered the TLSv1.0 deprecation prior to the PyPI servers’ blackout in April, I might have had a chance to work on that within Poser. I know I can still develop EXR scripts externally, but I still don’t have any documentation on the .tmp file format in the RenderCache, other than noting that the files begin with the full render dimensions.

• @h-elwood-gilliland said in Any Issues with Poser 11 Pro with MacOS Mojave?:

@anomalaus I believe we addressed the Python TLS issue in 11.1.1 which is only now heading to beta (I think). I do remember attempting to fix this issue personally. The problem is that Python 2.7.1 is "destined for the bin" and Poser's scripts are all written in it. You can guess what this may mean in the long run. We will continue to ship legacy Poser versions with 2.7.1 until we decide how to replace it. We will not be updating Python because Python 2.x is discontinued :/

We have tested in Mojave and haven't yet seen any issues.

Is that a typo or is a new SR for Poser out? Poser 11.1.1???

• Poser Team

@eclark1849 We no longer refer to releases as "Service Release" .. they are maintenance releases when usiing the third digit, ie 11.1 is updated with a maintenance release of 11.1.1

• @h-elwood-gilliland Thank you. Can you tell us what was addressed for this release?

• Where do I even go to get a Download manager for PP11.1.1?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Any Issues with Poser 11 Pro with MacOS Mojave?:

Where do I even go to get a Download manager for PP11.1.1?

11.1.1 isn't available yet.
    It will have to go thru beta testing before release as well.

• @shvrdavid Thanks.

• @eclark1849 Still remaining hopeful that they've added my missing shader nodes to Superfly.

• YES THERE IS AN ISSUE

I am a very loyal Poser user - I love it and an using it to create a graphic novel.

However there is an issue with Mojave...

The render previews now appear in random order when you reopen Poser.

So if you render a number of times, shut down Poser and then open it again, the renders are in a random order. I can't tell what order they're in, but it makes them useless as you have to search through the tiny thumbnails and try to find your last render.

I keep 100 and it is near impossible to find my last render...

With updates only coming once a year, or so... it looks like it will be a long, long time before smith micro supports Mojave - This is sad as everything else appears to be OK.

But the renders are pretty much the reason for using it, so if you can't find your last renders, or they are in random sequence so you loser the development sequence - Well it is not really that good!

PLEASE FIX THIS AND RELEASE A PATCH OR ADD IT TO THE UPCOMING UPDATE.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

• @lostalien Why not save your renders in a separate folder?

• @lostalien said in Any Issues with Poser 11 Pro with MacOS Mojave?:

YES THERE IS AN ISSUE

I am a very loyal Poser user - I love it and an using it to create a graphic novel.

However there is an issue with Mojave...

The render previews now appear in random order when you reopen Poser.

So if you render a number of times, shut down Poser and then open it again, the renders are in a random order. I can't tell what order they're in, but it makes them useless as you have to search through the tiny thumbnails and try to find your last render.

I keep 100 and it is near impossible to find my last render...

With updates only coming once a year, or so... it looks like it will be a long, long time before smith micro supports Mojave - This is sad as everything else appears to be OK.

But the renders are pretty much the reason for using it, so if you can't find your last renders, or they are in random sequence so you loser the development sequence - Well it is not really that good!

PLEASE FIX THIS AND RELEASE A PATCH OR ADD IT TO THE UPCOMING UPDATE.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I always close the display of past renders to gain real estate, so I hadn't noticed they are out of sequence. My bet is that there is something in preferences that needs to be changed from zero to one, like the fix necessary to get the libraries to sort in alphabetical order (LIB_ITEMS_SERVER_SORT). Maybe one of our tech savvy gurus like @anomalaus could figure it out. I see, for example, "PREVIEW_OGL_PRELITEORDER_NEW 0" that sounds like it might be related.

• @robzhena I just don't see a problem. Of course, I guess my work pipeline was just different. I always saved my renders to a separate folder, then I could work on them at my leisure, plus, I'd always be working on a copy, so I had back ups. Once Poser starts to render something, whatever was in the cue is gone. But even if the render cue does get out of order, Poser does time stamp each render so you can still find it.

• @robzhena & @LostAlien I think it quite likely that the problem has not yet been raised with SMS. The Poser Prefs entry LIB_ITEMS_SERVER_SORT came about, IIRC, because network volumes would not report their files in alphabetical order, as local volumes would, so the Library manager needed to be able to take up the slack and sort library items mounted from a network volume. The recent renders display is almost certainly not using the library code, so will probably not be observing the state of that preference and sorting the cached renders in any order other than what the OS reports them.

Yet another OS feature change that has not (yet) been accounted for by Poser's Devs.

@RobZhena I doubt that a flag intended for OpenGL light order evaluation will have any bearing on cached render sorting.

@eclark1849 if you've ever needed to make use of area renders, you'd realise that the only place they can be composited with their prior, full renders is within Poser. Copying the cached temporary renders out of Poser will prevent them from being processed. I have yet to have any success, or hear of anyone who has been able to open these .TMP files meaningfully in any application except Poser.

I also back up all of my Render Cache contents, to preserve (well, except for aborted, incomplete renders, unless I lost the unsaved scene file due to a crash, and kept the partial render as a record of what I'd been working on) a complete record of the full HDR raw renders. If I want to composite a partial render again, I copy it and its full render back into the cache and let Poser save the result out to PNG or JPG, though that loses the HDR info stored in the EXR and TMP files.

The problem with APFS on SSD under Mojave, is that it will always return the files in storage location order, which is not guaranteed to be alphabetical or numerically or date ordered at all. Apple have assumed that higher level routines requesting these file lists will sort them, if required, and eliminated, for efficiency's sake, any possible double sorting. Since the cached render file naming convention does not prefix the month and day date numbers with zeroes, a pure alphanumeric sort will not return files in date order, as a trailing 0 (from 10) gets sorted before the following hyphen (2018-11-1... comes before 2018-1-1...).

@eclark1849 the other problem with the Recent Renders list is that the names are not visible. You don't get to look at the names, all you have are the thumbnails. If you have a lot of similar renders, it will be a nightmare to try and work out which one is which. If you click on the Main Render or Compare Render buttons and the list they give you is not in reverse date sorted order that will be an absolute nightmare!

@LostAlien you must make sure you report this to SMS, if you haven't already. This will affect every user who migrates to Mojave, and probably those who use APFS on SSD under High Sierra too, so I imagine SMS will be very responsive to adding another preference flag (or applying the existing library one) to sort recent renders within Poser, rather than expecting the OS to have done it. Perhaps a shout-out to @h-elwood-gilliland is in order as well, though if you've reported it to Support that may not be necessary.

• Just FYI: I've had the "recent renders out of order" problem for a while now, and I haven't yet upgraded to Mojave (still on High Sierra). It's not just renders that have no discernible sorting order: the same is also true for the scripts under the Python menu and for the results of certain scripts (like Netherworks' Mister Lister, which now produces lists sorted by a mysterious order known only to it).

The sorting problem started a while ago, and now I can't recall if it was around the time of the upgrade to Poser 11.1 or from macOS Sierra to High Sierra. But it definitely pre-dates Mojave!