Devlog Reponse Time...

• Since the actual Devlog thread is locked, and no I don't mind at all, but I did want to respond to a few points that were brought up that I hope will be addressed in future Devlog updates.

Version Number Changes
    Firstly, we've done away with Service Release metaphor. We now refer to incremental updates as Maintenance Releases internally. We don't write "SRx" on them, like we used to. Instead, it gets a third digit. This is not entirely a new policy, as 11 was followed by versions 11.0.1 - 11.0.8 before we rolled everything up into 11.1 and planted the new 3D Paths feature.

Q: Will Major updates still retain their version numbers then? In other words, the next Poser version should still be Poser 12?

Beta Testing Program
    Some of you more passionate and experimentally-minded members of our community may wish to convert to being a beta user. Beta users get early preview releases as an option, but with great power comes great responsibility: we depend on your feedback to help us prepare a public release. If you are interested in inquiring about the Beta program, please send an email to beta@smithmicro.com and tell them where you heard about the Beta Program, and that you'd like to get involved for the Poser product line.

Q: Is there a difference between a Poser Ambassador and a Beta User?

Coming Changes to Delivery

We will be updating the Smith Micro Download Manager soon, but ultimately we want to do away with this process as it has caused headaches for many users. In the hopes of providing you with more options, we are currently working on a web-based solution that we will roll out as soon as it is ready. Stay tuned for more information about this. We hope to solve many problems with this simple and elegant solution. Of course, Smith Micro Download Manager will still be available for some time with legacy versions, but in the future our delivery method should be as simple as visiting a web page and selecting the downloads you'd like. More information on this should become available in the coming weeks.

Q: I'll wait and see how this pans out, but my personal thinking on this tends to go with a product library, especially if it means I might be buying my Poser purchases from Renderosity in the future.

• I'll just go on record that I think its cool that they are doing this.. not exactly a new idea but appreciated nonetheless

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Devlog Reponse Time...:

but in the future our delivery method should be as simple as visiting a web page and selecting the downloads you'd like

I'm curious about this. That is how it was BEFORE we had the download manager, and there were always lots of users complaining about downloads being incomplete and having to start over and over. The point of the download manager was to acknowledge that a simple web page with download links sucks when the files are well over a GB, and a single download can take hours, only to fail at the last MB and have to be fetched again from scratch.

Since no other words were given to explain how the multi-GB of content would be delivered reliably, it seems to me the new team doesn't actually know what they're getting into.

• Poser Ambassadors

Correct BB; The download manager is/was/never will be the problem.

People complained mostly about the: "ET phone home" feature.

=> Something for future wanna-be beta testers <=
    If the info is not outdated with all the changes these last few years?
    ET phones home a lot more for beta testers.

• @vilters said in Devlog Reponse Time...:

Correct BB; The download manager is/was/never will be the problem.

People complained mostly about the: "ET phone home" feature.

=> Something for future wanna-be beta testers <=
    If the info is not outdated with all the changes these last few years?
    ET phones home a lot more for beta testers.

Yeah, true Tony, discourage as many Poser users from participation in development as possible.

Great "Ambassadorship" going on here.

• Poser Ambassadors

@glitterati3d
    I knew it. LOL. You never fail. LOL.

Being an ambassador means;
    Know when to write, know when to shut up, share what can be shared, and ALWAYS tell the truth.
    Know when to shut up is probably the hardest part, because unfortunate remarks are always around the corner, and one needs a thick skin. LOL.

Constructive participation is more then welcome.

• Poser Ambassadors

It is like security camera's; Those that have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear.

• Maybe we won't need to use a download manager because they won't have such huge files. The main program file may need to be huge, but there is no reason why the content files need to be so huge. I personally get tired of having to redownload posette and dork because they are lumped into the same file as the newest figures.

• @redphantom
    Yes, slice content in portions per generation, cut the main program up in 2 or 3 parts if must, and with today's connections and systems you probably will not need a download manager anymore.

• @deecey Amen.

FWIW I have my eye on this. I still get every version of Poser when it comes out (except for Game Dev, that is).

• @deecey said in Devlog Reponse Time...:

@glitterati3d
    @vilters

Enough.

Aww. I just made a large bowl of popcorn ...

• @vilters Aren't those the lyrics to a Kenny Rogers song?

• @ghostship
    Know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run

OK, OK . . . I'll go sit in the corner quietly.

• Poser Ambassadors

Q: Is there a difference between a Poser Ambassador and a Beta User?

A Beta tester gets access to the Beta program, and there are a few different areas and levels of that in most development setups.

A Poser Ambassador is usually someone that has extensive knowledge about an area in Poser, and usually is a tester as well. Sometimes Ambassadors are on the Dev team as well. Not sure if that will be the case in the future, now that there is a Poser Team tag as well.

• Poser Team

bers then? In other words, the next Poser version should still be Poser 12?

beta@smithmicro.com is just a published email. yes, its for beta program but its also a way to avoid publishing employee emails since that employee may not respond.

Regarding "will major" .. MAJOR.MINOR.MAINTENANCE .. however we reserve the right to change the numbers around in the future! Not that we plan to..
    As for download manager -- have you ever downloaded an installer to a program, then run it? That's what it will be like. I'd say I do that with 95% of my software. DLM was a step toward subscription ... and it has many issues I won't get into here, but technically it needed more sophistication and more engineers and we have less engineers today. If something breaks with DLM, users can't get their software, and that's just unfair.

• @h-elwood-gilliland The closest thing to that right now that I do is probably Blender.

• @h-elwood-gilliland Keep rockin', Dude!

• @vilters said in Devlog Reponse Time...:

@glitterati3d
    I knew it. LOL. You never fail. LOL.

Being an ambassador means;
    Know when to write, know when to shut up, share what can be shared, and ALWAYS tell the truth.
    Know when to shut up is probably the hardest part, because unfortunate remarks are always around the corner, and one needs a thick skin. LOL.

Constructive participation is more then welcome.

I always looked at the Ambassadors as being misnamed. They present themselves on line as, more or less, what I'm understanding SM wants from Beta Testers. An Ambassador though, and I stress, this is only my personal opinion, but an Ambasador would go on line and sing the praises of Poser. Maybe create a personal blog that shows how to work or create in the material room. How to accomplish things with workarounds if necessary. Showing how to set up lights. Working in Bullet physics, animations, etc. I'm not saying you guys don't do some of that. I DO think you can do it better.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 More like an influencer then?