Aged skin shader - texture file may be unavoidable

• The way a human face ages with wrinkles, gravity effects, and muscle and skin loosening - well, I don't think a purely procedural Cycles or PBR shader will work. I think maybe some actual texture input image file is needed, together with normal and displacement maps. 🤔❓🤔😕

• @ibr_remote it's just skin. Use the same shaders for it you'd use for young skin. The texture and bump maps will have to be appropriately sourced from someone with aged skin.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship I agree up to a point ... at some point the gravity will surpass the limitations of a texture map and actually need some deformation in the mesh. But then that is all about at what progression of age you are looking for.

• @boni But that's not textures or shaders, that's part of the character sculpt.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship I stand corrected. Your point is most valid!!

• Ah, but old skin is more than just wrinkles. It's also a question of sheen, thickness, transparency.

And as such, it works best when those things are taken into consideration. Otherwise, it can easily end up like some young person trying to put on makeup to look older. True "old age" only comes with experience ;)

I was working on an Old Skin for PE some time back. Partially stopped because the lack of microdisplacement in Superfly made wrinkles almost impossible. And I do use Superfly exclusively these days, so I want whatever I do to WORK in Superfly.

I'm very much hoping for microdisplacement for Superfly in the next iteration of Poser. IMO it's the biggest stop gap for letting Superfly TRULY be useful. Sure, a lot can be done with normal- and bumpmaps. But there are many cases where displacement is the final touch. Not to mention the fact that you can have loads of intricate details without bogging down the computer with an insanely high polycount.

• @trekkiegrrrl young actors can have a terrible time attempting to believably use makeup alone to simulate advanced age. Surface texturing and prosthetics are fine, but the truly advanced in years exhibit muscle wasting and thinner, more translucent skin, which makeup cannot replicate easily, not to mention the areas humans pay most attention to: eyelids drooping away from eyeballs, excessive kyphosis (forward spinal curvature), etc.