Placing 3d figure on existing perspective ruler?

• Is there a way to use the perspective of an existing perspective ruler when you make a 3d figure?
    I've tried dragging and dropping and deleting the existing ruler on the 3d figure, but it doesn't work.

• You can drag a perspective ruler onto a 3D layer that has its own ruler removed but then the new ruler will assume the perspective of the 3D layer's camera view; not the other way around.

Unless there's a trick I'm not aware of, you can't force a 3D layer to assume the perspective of a ruler.

• @garlam said in Placing 3d figure on existing perspective ruler?:

You can drag a perspective ruler onto a 3D layer that has its own ruler removed but then the new ruler will assume the perspective of the 3D layer's camera view; not the other way around.

Unless there's a trick I'm not aware of, you can't force a 3D layer to assume the perspective of a ruler.

That's unfortunate. So basically if you know you are going to use 3d materials in a file it is best practice to set up the perspective rulers using a 3d layer?

• I like using 3D layers to set up perspective rulers but there is a way you can do what you're looking to do. But it will require some patience. Put a 3D object on the canvas to create a 3D layer and delete the object from the layer (it can get confusing watching it stretch and pull while you adjust the rule). Use the object tool to select the perspective ruler (unhide it first). Then move the horizon line to match the horizon of yoeur non 3D layer ruler. Then move the vanishing points to match. The camera will move to match the manipulated ruler and you can drop an object on the layer.

• Thanks. I tried what you suggestged but the perspective ruler/camera angle on the 3d layer is reset to the default view when I drag a 3d object on it, no idea what I am doing wrong.

• Drag the object onto a new layer. Cut it from it's layer and paste into to the modified layer.