Should I purchase Poser on Mac?

• I am a Daz Studio user but recently I have been considering Poser 11 because of some of its features that are much cheaper - and better - than in Daz. However, I have few questions before I make my decision:

1. I am switching to Windows laptop soon, so if I purchase Poser 11 on my Mac can I transfer, or re-download, the software on a new Windows laptop?

2. My Mac Pro 2015 is 2,7 GHz i5 only, should it be enough for Firefly rendering (I don't care for fancy rendering at the moment)? On Daz rendering a 3Delight on advanced settings takes up hours for a simple scene. That's fine! What I DON'T want is to wait days or months for rendering.

3. I am very interested in Poser's rich library and morphing brush (heck the reason why I am more interested in Poser than Daz). Is there a complete list of all the stuff you get when you purchase? And can a morph brush be used on objects too, or just on characters?

Thanks for taking time to reply to any of the above questions!

• I haven't really used DAZ studio since version 3 so don't think I can give a good comparison. But I do hope people can better answer your questions than I. I do have the exact same iMac however and will look for a scene to dig up and let you know how long the render took if that helps at all.

• You can install Poser on up to three computers at a time. So you run it on your Mac and can also run it on a PC. When you get rid of system just remember to deactivate it so you can install on another computer. Also a good idea if you are upgrading an OS to deactivate it just in case.

• Poser Ambassadors

1. Yes you can. You are allowed to have 3 installations. To change what version (Mac or Windows) you are downloading, open up the Download Manager, Edit Menu, Preferences, then change to the platform you want to download. (Note, that may change in the future as Smith Micro has stated that there will be direct download options in the future.)

2. That depends on the shaders used, and the complexity of the scene. So without knowing what you like to render, style, realism, etc, that isn't an easy question to answer. I have an I7 laptop, 2.6 ghtz Haswell, and both Firefly and Superfly work ok on it. I only render on 4 cores with Firefly because it has heating issues from the cpu goop drying out. So you should see similar if not faster render times.

• 3a. Contents are listed on the Smith Micro site for Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11.
      https://my.smithmicro.com/poser-free-content.html

• 3b. You can use the morph brush on any wire frame. Note, that does not include line geometry (dynamic hair), you can use magnets on dynamic hair along with the styling tools thou.

• @cobra that would be very helpful thanks! I wonder if rendering in comic style would reduce the time?

• @shvrdavid thanks for the detailed answer! I forgot to ask, is the morphing brush (for any wired object) available only in the pro version? Thanks again!

• I use mac and poser pro 11. I have 1000s of external runtimes and poser still works well.
    The morphing brush is great for quickly fixing a bit of poke through, or giving the character a swollen face after a head injury or something. You're going to have heaps of fun. I don't know if there is morphing brush in poser 11 ie not the pro version though.
    Love esther

• Morphing brush is in both versions of poser 11.

• Poser Ambassadors

@madshadi

The differences between Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11 can be found here.

https://my.smithmicro.com/Poser11andPoserPro11FeatureComparison_v6.pdf

• @madshadi If you're not after maximum realism and more keen on render speed, this only took 12 minutes and 15 seconds to render using Firefly.
    0_1540173312804_FireflyTest.jpg

• @cobra brilliant this is all I need. It renders even faster than 3dlight in Daz. Thanks a million!

• @madshadi said in Should I purchase Poser on Mac?:

I am a Daz Studio user but recently I have been considering Poser 11 because of some of its features that are much cheaper - and better - than in Daz. However, I have few questions before I make my decision:

1. I am switching to Windows laptop soon, so if I purchase Poser 11 on my Mac can I transfer, or re-download, the software on a new Windows laptop?

2. My Mac Pro 2015 is 2,7 GHz i5 only, should it be enough for Firefly rendering (I don't care for fancy rendering at the moment)? On Daz rendering a 3Delight on advanced settings takes up hours for a simple scene. That's fine! What I DON'T want is to wait days or months for rendering.

3. I am very interested in Poser's rich library and morphing brush (heck the reason why I am more interested in Poser than Daz). Is there a complete list of all the stuff you get when you purchase? And can a morph brush be used on objects too, or just on characters?

Thanks for taking time to reply to any of the above questions!

I did. In fact, with version PP2014, I have a Mac version and a windows version. Sadly, it's been a while since I've upgraded my Mac, so I've migrated almost solely to Windows now. with PP 11.

• I can confirm. I run the same license on Mac and Windows. I have a windows render server in the basement that i can remote into, but prefer to work on th Mac. I really don’t enjoy using Poser in windows.

• @ctrl-shift said in Should I purchase Poser on Mac?:

I can confirm. I run the same license on Mac and Windows. I have a windows render server in the basement that i can remote into, but prefer to work on th Mac. I really don’t enjoy using Poser in windows.

I'm not a big fan myself. In fact, both my creativity and use of both Poser and Blender have decreased significantly since migrating to Windows.