Creating art from Poser ... beyond digital

• Poser Ambassadors

Well. When I first got Poser back on 1997 ... I just wanted help with perspective and proportion in my drawings. I still use Poser for traditional art.

0_1539992779479_InkPortrait2.jpg

I'd like to see what you all have done with Poser beyond the digital realm.

• @boni Beautiful Boni! I've always wished I could draw.

• Poser Ambassadors

@miss-b You can ... with the right instructions ... and learning how to observe the world around you ... I've taught privately and it's amazing what people can do that they never realized.

• @boni Oh, I'm sure I could draw anything with straight (sort of) lines, like props, but my mother was a seamstress who made all my clothes, and I always had designs running around in my head back then, but I could NOT put them on paper. If I had been able to, I would've gone to school to become a dress designer, instead of winding up working for lawyers for 40 years. ~shakes head~

• Beyond Poser but still digital, as I use Painter and Photoshop for painting.

0_1540068475001_Eurospy_small.png
    I frequently use Poser to set up scenes for my illustrations. Illustrators of the 20th century used photographs as references, I use Poser. This is very convenient for selecting the right layout and perspective. And the models never get tired. :-)

• They are both great oldenburg and Boni, but of course, seeing that I really like the comic look I am particularly taken with the toon girl with gun. Could be modesty Blaise. very good work. Love her shading too.
    Love esther

• Poser Ambassadors

@miss-b Everything breaks down to basic shapes. Then fill in the details bit at a time, once you get your proportions right.

One of my classes back in art school had us drawing jesture poses every day for 10 minutes for a solid month. Had about 30 seconds to draw each pose. Just stick figures of course. Over time the number of poses increased while the time to draw each on decreased. Do that every day for 30 days and you'll see massive improvement in your ability to draw/interpret shapes and your speed at getting there.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Boni @oldenburg Love what I see here. I am more Stil live and landscape painter. Would love to see more of your artworks.

• @ambientshade said in Creating art from Poser ... beyond digital:

@miss-b Everything breaks down to basic shapes. Then fill in the details bit at a time, once you get your proportions right.

One of my classes back in art school had us drawing jesture poses every day for 10 minutes for a solid month. Had about 30 seconds to draw each pose. Just stick figures of course. Over time the number of poses increased while the time to draw each on decreased. Do that every day for 30 days and you'll see massive improvement in your ability to draw/interpret shapes and your speed at getting there.

I know, I often wished the art classes we had in high school would've been more constructive. They were more about art in general, and not actual painting/drawing. Then maybe I would've been more inclined to take an art class, or two, in college.

• Poser Ambassadors

I agree that there is a lot we can do with Poser to create stills and even animations that don't look 3D-ish. For example, below is a Sailor Madoka render I did in Poser with the default toon mode that looks pretty much like celshading. This was done in 2005, and toon rendering has improved much since then.

0_1540246608794_sailor_madoka__by_ken1171.jpg

When it comes to animation, I did this one below back in 2008 using one of the many sketch rendering modes from Poser. This is one of the most underused Poser features, I think. For the unsuspecting viewer, they could think this was done with pen and paper.

0_1540246763823_Walk_by_Ken1171.gif

There is also the fact that Larry Weinberg created Poser as means to obtain better drawing references for the human figure, so it was meant to serve that purpose by design - to help people learn how to draw figures and objects from any angle, and also as a good reference for shading. I doubt people use Poser for that nowadays, but there is no better reference! ^___^