Making a mirror to really reflect light on objects (FireFly)
Helemaal bedankt, maar het werkt niet in mijn PP2014...
I've set up the reflector prop, it's properties, and the shader exactly like you posted.
If I use the "Raytrace Preview" window, it all looks exactly as I think it should . The dice (resp. the girl) is lit on the side facing the mirror.
Still, in the final render I get the old result: everything directly facing the mirror is in complete darkness (as shown in my second post, above).
However I have another suspicion:
A few weeks ago Poser crashed in the middle of closing it, and after that I had some weird effects like the hip of a figure not heeding click poses, and some other defects.
I could fix the most obvious problems manually with the help of some backups.
Unfortunately Poser (like many other programs) likes to scatter his vital files all over the place, so it's difficult to collect what's needed.
But who knows what else got messed up in that crash?
It just occurred to me: an object that should NOT be visible in the render still showed, whatever I did to switch it OFF!
So I think I must open the big can of worms and reinstall Poser starting from zero point.
Wish me luck!
I'll report further results as soon as Poser is installed again.
OK, I give up...
I completely removed Poser and made a fresh install.
The problem with the object that should not be visible persisted, so I looked at the file and found that the variable "visibleInRender" was set to 1 and couldn't be turned off from inside Poser (something I already noticed when I created SASHA's "Feet Presets" for shoes).
Setting this to zero manually fixed THIS problem (...one step at a time, like in a minefield...)
Next I set up a completely new document.
- Rendered in PP2014, no changes.
- Rendered in PP2012, and there IS a change!
Though it's not quite as good as I expected.
The backside of the dice is still too dark, and why is there a different brightness of the ground?
I also sent this scene to a friend of mine who has Poser11 SR7.
Here are HIS results:
- So Firefly still gives the same old results (even worse IMO).
- Superfly is the one which shows exactly what I would expect to see in the real world! (well, except for the general light level being too bright compared to SuperFly, but this was a quick test)
Sorry for the missing dots on the dice; I forgot to send him the displacement map...
- Three versions of Poser, two render engines.
- Each deliver a different result for the exact same file.
Given this different "User Experience", I've decided to publish my freebie with just the basic texture setup for the mirror and the "diffuse reflector", leaving it to the user to choose his best option for the program version and renderer he uses.
Thank you all for your help!
willdial last edited by willdial
@karina Where did you publish your freebie? I would like to try it out in PP2014.
I took @bagginsbill advice and added a reflector behind the mirror in the test scene. The mirror is black and the reflector is white.
The mirror's settings are:
The reflector's settings are:
With these settings, I was able to remove the darkness.
If you would like, I could send you my test scene to see how it works on your system.
barnardino last edited by
In a last attempt, Karina removed herself, and tried to reinstall Karina v2.0 . But wait ... it's not possible she removed herself forever ! nooooo ...
Sorry bad trolling :)
Contrary to popular belief I did NOT uninstall myself - I found the ABORT button just in time XD
Thank you all for your help, and a special thank you @willdial for the offer to try my setup by himself, because that solved the problem.
In an effort to provide him a neat file for testing, I made a new one from scratch.
I gave it a try and it works!
So there must have been something fishy in my old test pz3.
@willdial, the set isn't published yet, but I probably will do so this weekend and post the ShareCG link here.
Once again, many thanks to all for your help!
willdial last edited by
@karina I'm glad you got it working.
anomalaus last edited by
@karina seems like a common theme. Every time I have to trim down a scene to the point where I can package it up to upload to SMS support, it reaches a point where the problem can't be recreated with that scene.
Most of my problematic scenes are 1.2-1.3GB uncompressed, with 50+ figures. Too big to even upload directly on the support site. D-X
Corrupted data is a common problem in Poser. Once your scene is messed up, a prop or figure often behaves differently than the same loaded freshly into a new scene. Happens to me more often now than in the Poser 12 era.
As a tactic to avoid wasting time, when something appears to work counter to my expectations, I immediately start a new scene and repeat my steps. If the new scene still misbehaves, I upload it straight away to mantis with a bug report to SM.
Ah , thank you @bagginsbill!
I already suspected this for some time, but couldn't find any proof of it yet.
Good to know it's not just me.
tumble-weed last edited by
It took me a while and in the end a remake of my mirror prop, but I now have a very usable mirror. Thank you to all who contributed to this post.